Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewhemoth Brag  (Read 20638 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brewhemoth Brag
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2012, 03:27:26 pm »
Damn can you reconcile making a steinbier and fermenting it in a Brewhemoth stainless steel conical with santiary fittings?  Seems like it should be done in a goats stomach or at least a big crock.  Hollowed out stump, that would be the medieval equivalent of a Brewhemoth.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 04:38:25 pm »
I'm on pint #2 of the black pale ale and I'm happy with some aspects and not so much with others.

First of all, there are no faults in the beer, the fermentation went just fine and finished completely.  The color is deeper than I thought, I can't see a light across a pint glass.  It may need to clear a bit, I think it will.  Theres little black malt flavor coming through which is exactly what I wanted.  Theres a restrained hop aroma, certainly not the level I was going for.  I have to get used to brewing large batches I guess, that 1oz of dry hops seems have got lost for the most part.  The malt flavor is restrained, a hint of chocolate and less biscuit than I was hoping for.  The bitterness is medium, also lower than I wanted.  Overall the beer is a little muddled but that may clear up as the beer clears.  Its certainly drinkable though, and I have a clear way forward on the recipe.

The biggest thing that I am dissappointed about is that the malt flavors aren't more distinct, I was thinking a total lack of oxidation might generate a different level of malty flavors than I've gotten from conventional bucket brewing.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 06:44:08 pm »
Sounds like a success to me.  First run-through with no infections or off-flavors is a good thing.

Maybe you should invite weaz's friends over to fill a growler or two... ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2012, 09:12:33 pm »
Sounds like a success to me.  First run-through with no infections or off-flavors is a good thing.

Maybe you should invite weaz's friends over to fill a growler or two... ;)

+1

Sounds like some recipe adjustments and your off to the races.   :)
Ron Price

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2012, 10:18:22 am »
I finally got a functional CIP system put together for the Brewhemoth.  My initial attempt failed due to a pump that wouldn't push the water fast enough to turn the large 2" spray ball.  I got a testimonial about a 1.2hp trash pump and so I bought a 1.5hp trash pump for $80.  I put together a PVC pipe run that brought water from the pump to the ball about 6" down in the fermentor.  The pump sits in a reservoir under the fermentor that collects water from the dump and racking valves.

The system works great, there is vigorous spraying in all directions from the spray ball.  Even with both valves wide open, this pump now outpaces the draining so every so often there is a pause while the reservoir fills adequately.  I'm not sure if a small restriction somewhere in the piping could be used to slow the flow rate, but it isn't a big deal.  It cleaned the Brewhemoth nicely.

On the black IPA, I got help with one keg and am about done with the other.  It got better with age as usual.  I'm considering what to brew for my next Brewhemoth beer.  Most likely an APA.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2012, 11:21:59 am »
I finally got a functional CIP system put together for the Brewhemoth.  My initial attempt failed due to a pump that wouldn't push the water fast enough to turn the large 2" spray ball.  I got a testimonial about a 1.2hp trash pump and so I bought a 1.5hp trash pump for $80.  I put together a PVC pipe run that brought water from the pump to the ball about 6" down in the fermentor.  The pump sits in a reservoir under the fermentor that collects water from the dump and racking valves.

Which pump did you end up getting?

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2012, 06:59:13 pm »
Its an Xtreme Power 1.5HP 1100W submersible trash pump.  I'd recommend the 1.2HP version, it might not go faster than the draining.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2012, 10:05:10 am »
Its an Xtreme Power 1.5HP 1100W submersible trash pump.  I'd recommend the 1.2HP version, it might not go faster than the draining.

How hot is the cleaning liquid you use? Dumb question, but where do you stick the ball? Does it fit through the dump valve or do you go in through the lid?
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.