Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Steady Fermentation Temp  (Read 1610 times)

Offline kylerjohns

• 1st Kit
Steady Fermentation Temp
« on: March 23, 2012, 05:16:18 pm »
We are brewing an IPA that needs to be anywhere from 60-65 degrees F.  I live in an apartment and dont really have a way to maintain that.  Do you have any suggestions?

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Re: Steady Fermentation Temp
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 06:06:10 pm »
Build a styrofoam box big enough to hold your fermenter, plus two 1-gallon plastic water/milk jugs(frozen).  You may only need one jug, but you want room for two.  Put your styrofoam door on the front of the box for ease of getting the heavy fermenter in and out.  Also, cut a piece of wood for the fermenter to sit on so that it's not sitting on the styrofoam.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:22:45 pm by roguejim »

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 06:10:51 pm »
Or get one of those cheapie "half barrel" looking plastic tubs the they sell for holding kids toys and such.  Just so it's a little bigger round than your fermenter.  Put the fermenter in it and then add water to the tub (not so much as to make the fermenter float, though).  Add ice or frozen water bottles to the water as necessary to maintain the temp you want.
Joe

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 07:13:03 pm »
Or get one of those cheapie "half barrel" looking plastic tubs the they sell for holding kids toys and such.  Just so it's a little bigger round than your fermenter.  Put the fermenter in it and then add water to the tub (not so much as to make the fermenter float, though).  Add ice or frozen water bottles to the water as necessary to maintain the temp you want.

+1  You can also drape the fermenter with an old t-shirt or wrap it with a towel so that the water in the tub wicks up and keeps the t-shirt/towel wet.  This will help lower the temp through evaporative cooling.
Clint
Wort Hogs