Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: stuck ferment????  (Read 9057 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: stuck ferment????
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 05:23:19 pm »
That would be maybe 2 points off, not nearly 20.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 10:01:14 am »
In my opinion, a 1.030 beer is a syrupy dumper. Anything to help it should be tried and I doubt that Beano will bring something that high too low, but if it does, you're no worse off.

I don't think I'd make a blanket statement like that.  For instance, if the OG is 1.100, a 1.030 FG can be entirely appropriate.  And my experience is that using Beano can make a beer just as undrinkable as a high FG.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 10:31:36 am »
In my opinion, a 1.030 beer is a syrupy dumper. Anything to help it should be tried and I doubt that Beano will bring something that high too low, but if it does, you're no worse off.

I don't think I'd make a blanket statement like that.  For instance, if the OG is 1.100, a 1.030 FG can be entirely appropriate.  And my experience is that using Beano can make a beer just as undrinkable as a high FG.

I can make a blanket statement like that because I don't think I could choke down a 1.030 beer no matter what it started at. Obviously the OP wants to lower it as well and Beano can do that.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 11:35:11 am »

I can make a blanket statement like that because I don't think I could choke down a 1.030 beer no matter what it started at. Obviously the OP wants to lower it as well and Beano can do that.
So you don't drink barleywines and RIS?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 11:54:30 am »

Nope and I rarely drink stouts of any kind.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 11:55:13 am »

That's cool, drink what you like. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 11:56:00 am »

That's cool, drink what you like. :)

Thank you for your support.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 09:35:58 pm »
As a one time beano user I can split the difference. When I used to to pull down an extract RIS that just wouldn't go below 1.032 it made for a pretty decent big beer... right up until the bottles started to pop. The problem with beano is that it's action is highly temp sensitive and can stall and start up again without warning thus turning a 'safely finished' beer into bottle bombs. but hey give it a try and just make sure to let it go really low before bottling.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 09:54:06 pm »
What is this...BEAN..OH...you speak of? Does it prevent yeast from passing gas?
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 09:56:47 pm »
What is this...BEAN..OH...you speak of? Does it prevent yeast from passing gas?

yup that's the product. It is an enzyme that breaks down sugars that are normally un-digestable by us mere humans. These sugars, in the normal course of things, would feed the flourishing microbial jungle living in our lower intestines and thus greatly enliven our after dinner conversation. With the simple addition of a few drops of bean-o these embarrassing situations can be avoided.

in the homebrewing world it can be used to great effect to break down the longer un-fermentable sugars into those the yeast find more palatable.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 06:32:19 am »
I wonder what the OP decided to do?
Anyway, when I used LME I had a couple of occaisions when everything else failed to restart a fermentation and used amalyase enzyme to get the beer to finish.
I found that a half tsp per five gallons and a couple of weeks usually resulted in another 10 point drop.
While I only have a couple of data points, I never had any issues with over carbed beer or exploding bottles.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 09:01:36 am »
Isn't it true that if you use Beano in the fermentor, you basically have no way to stop it until all the sugar is gone? I remember John Palmer saying on Brewstrong that you cant denature the enzymes post boil so they just keep going and going.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 09:03:24 am »
Isn't it true that if you use Beano in the fermentor, you basically have no way to stop it until all the sugar is gone? I remember John Palmer saying on Brewstrong that you cant denature the enzymes post boil so they just keep going and going.

I just read that last night in the Yeast book.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 09:26:38 am »
I personally have never had any luck using any type of enzyme post fermenting. Yeah, it usually works, but it never tastes right to me. YMMV. Even so, I've heard of 1.050 beers stalling at 1.020 before, but 1.030? That would be around 40% aa. Something seriously wrong. Too bad the OP gave up on the thread after the first response. I'd like to know more. Curious.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 10:11:25 am »

I never had that experience, but I also kegged my beer and at that time, I didn't brew all that often, so it went somewhat quickly. It was such a life saver for me with extract brewing, that I bought a big bottle of it at Costco. However, I haven't used it again since going all grain.

Maybe I should use it up as its intended purpose. Might make my wife happier. :D