Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: anybody have a weber?  (Read 5557 times)

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
anybody have a weber?
« on: March 07, 2012, 12:01:49 am »
i'm pretty sure i'm gonna pull the trigger on the genesis e310.

it's pricey(but mostly assembled in indiana, which i like), apparently a very good propane burning grill and should last a long time.  first grill for me, but I've grilled many a meals.

thoughts?  feelings?

cheers!

ryan p lynch

cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: anybody have a weber?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 05:55:28 am »
my dad has had a weber grill (propane) since 1995.  they are built like tanks and should last as long as you care for it.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 06:23:57 am »
my dad has had a weber grill (propane) since 1995.  they are built like tanks and should last as long as you care for it.

Unless you're my uncle. He destroys grills, doesn't clean the grates, ever, leaves them outside un-covered and open in the rain.

I don't have a propane weber but I have a charcoal and love it. Quality construction that I would assume goes for the entire line.

Check craigslist. I see quite a few used ones on there from time to time that might be half the price.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 06:35:18 am »
Outstanding grills.  I've had mine for 7 years and it still works great.  My old Charbroil one rusted out in 2 years time, but it was my first grill at my first house so we went cheap.

Even the cover I got with the grill is heavy duty!!!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 07:02:05 am »
Go for it.  Ours is so old it's got the old naming convention as it's a 'Genesis Gold C' - basically, everything's stainless and it has the side burner.  Use the heck out of the thing and it keeps on ticking.  Only problem I've had was when a squirrel ate a hole in the hose from the tank to the grill :(
Joe

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 07:57:08 am »
I bought one 4 years ago and love it. One nice thing about a weber is they are easy to find parts for. I have never needed to yet but that just adds to the longevity. Mine has a cast iron grill which does add to the flavor of the food.

I might add...mine has been knocked over by the wind in severe storms twice. Didn't bother it a bit.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 08:09:59 am »
I have one, the natural gas version, and we love it.  It works great and has held up really well.

My kids were letting the lid free fall against the back stops and popped out the corners on the bottom that normally hold the lid place.  Obviously this was user abuse but Weber sent me an entirely new base free of charge and no questions asked.  The service call center is great to deal with.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:20:53 am »
I have a Genesis Silver series that I bought in 1998. It's still until this day in fine working order. Go for it...I don't think you'll be disappointed in the slightest.  8)
Ron Price

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 05:17:18 am »
On a different note, I received a class action notice yesterday concerning a case against Weber.  They plaintif is claiming Weber has engaged in false advertising by advertising the grills are made in America but some parts might be manufactured in other countries.

Why do we do this to good American companies who have kept the majority of thier operations here, employ a lot of people here and make a very good product? 

Sorry for starting to rant.

On a happier note I saw a 22.5" Weber Kettle at Lowes for $99 yesterday.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 05:33:32 am »
On a different note, I received a class action notice yesterday concerning a case against Weber.  They plaintif is claiming Weber has engaged in false advertising by advertising the grills are made in America but some parts might be manufactured in other countries.

Why do we do this to good American companies who have kept the majority of thier operations here, employ a lot of people here and make a very good product? 

Sorry for starting to rant.

Paul

I can answer that, too many damn lawyers.

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 07:40:02 am »
Check craigslist. I see quite a few used ones on there from time to time that might be half the price.

+2 on this. +2 because I bought both my Webers on craigslist for less than half the cost new and they both were/still are in like new condition. I have one propane Genesis and the other is the Performer propane fired charcoal grill. The guy I bought the performer from was selling it because he said the propane part didnt work anymore.  I sanded the spark plug and it worked fine.  I love both these grills.
Mark

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 08:25:42 am »
Just echoing the earlier comments.  I have a 22.5 inch platinum charcoal and a WSM.  Both well-designed and durable.  Brew with a guy with a Genesis.  He loves it and it has to be nearly ten years old.  No issues whatsoever.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 09:55:04 am »

I just bought a lightly used 22.5" off craigslist for $20.  It even came with charcoal.

I felt like I was robbing the poor lady but she was glad to get rid of it.

It's older, with wood handles.  But I kinda like that.  It's been well cared for and is almost like new.

It will replace the even older one sitting in my yard which I will seek to modify and repurpose as a dedicated smoker.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 10:24:27 am »

I just bought a lightly used 22.5" off craigslist for $20.  It even came with charcoal.

It's older, with wood handles.  But I kinda like that.  It's been well cared for and is almost like new.

It will replace the even older one sitting in my yard which I will seek to modify and repurpose as a dedicated smoker.

Nice score there Joe.  8)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 10:44:36 am »

Lucky - my best recent lead was $40 and I had to drive an hour each way.  No thanks.  Still checking daily. :)
Tom Schmidlin