Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Guinness Corned Beef  (Read 2981 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Guinness Corned Beef
« on: March 09, 2012, 07:43:57 pm »
Ron Price

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Re: Guinness Corned Beef
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 08:44:14 pm »
That is an excellent recipe site.

Just wondering which version of Guinness to use.  Maybe the Foreign Extra Stout?
And, do you think 12oz is really enough?  Seems like periodically basting the roast might be a good thing, if you didn't wash off the sugar.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:52:13 pm by roguejim »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:34:54 am »
Looks like a stoner put that one together man. 8)

I guess by "corned" they mean the pre-corned briskets at the store? Or salted/brined beef?

And only 2.5 hours @300F with a 5 minute rest? This doesn't sound right.

OK it's an inspiration. Brown sugar brisket sauerbraten with Guinness instead of red wine. Super-trimmed flat to get rid of most of the fat. If I start tomorrow can do it on Wednesday. Raft of onions and carrots. Steam/roast potatoes separately. Cook time at 300 will probably be 4-5 hours and another hour rest.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:39:53 am »
Looks like a stoner put that one together man. 8)

I guess by "corned" they mean the pre-corned briskets at the store? Or salted/brined beef?

And only 2.5 hours @300F with a 5 minute rest? This doesn't sound right.

OK it's an inspiration. Brown sugar brisket sauerbraten with Guinness instead of red wine. Super-trimmed flat to get rid of most of the fat. If I start tomorrow can do it on Wednesday. Raft of onions and carrots. Steam/roast potatoes separately. Cook time at 300 will probably be 4-5 hours and another hour rest.

I agree...2.5 hours @ 300°F isn't nearly long enough and is going to produce a pretty tough hunk of meat.  The low temperature is right on the money though.  Just increase the roasting time and I can see this being pretty tender and tasty.  The only caveat I would add is to not use an overtrimmed brisket that's too lean.  Use a point-cut brisket rather than flat cut.

AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 04:57:56 pm »
So, is this a packaged corn beef with the spice packet, or just a regular brisket like you'd throw in the smoker.  No such thing as a point cut where I live.  It's either a flat, or the whole brisket.  The point rules.

Heck, the more I look at that recipe, the more convinced I am that a simple chuck roast would work.  First in the smoker for a bit, then in the crock pot for a killer pulled beef.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:15:50 pm by roguejim »

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 06:42:47 pm »
So, is this a packaged corn beef with the spice packet, or just a regular brisket like you'd throw in the smoker.  No such thing as a point cut where I live.  It's either a flat, or the whole brisket.  The point rules.

Heck, the more I look at that recipe, the more convinced I am that a simple chuck roast would work.  First in the smoker for a bit, then in the crock pot for a killer pulled beef.

I've seen point and flat cuts at my store.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 12:15:26 pm »
I think chuck would work well. That's my go to "roasting" cut cause it tastes so darn good. Shoulder chuck roast...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis