Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hamburger  (Read 3501 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
hamburger
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:22:11 am »
What cuts of meat do you guys recommend for grinding your own hamburger?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/03/70-percent-of-ground-beef-at-supermarkets-contains-pink-slime/
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: hamburger
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:21:57 am »
I usually use chuck roasts. 

I thought the pink slime was mechanically separated chicken.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 05:31:30 am »
equal parts chuck, short rib and brisket. Add a bit of beef tallow.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 08:13:27 am »
I just watched an ATK episode where they made their own burgers by grinding the meat. They used Sirloin Steak Tips. They kept calling it "flap meat" in the episode. It looked similar to flank steak but was actually part of the tri-tip from what I gathered. It looked really good. They added some butter to the ground meat because it wasn't very fatty.

Ask your supermarket about their meat. I know mine grinds their own and you can ask what they used. I'm sure companies like walmart get the pre-packaged pink slime laced crap.

edit: just read the recipe and it was "flap" not "flat". I'll have to research that a bit.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:15:10 am by brewmichigan »
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:14:20 am »
I just watched an ATK episode where they made their own burgers by grinding the meat. They used Sirloin Steak Tips. They kept calling it "flap meat" in the episode. It looked similar to flank steak but was actually part of the tri-tip from what I gathered. It looked really good. They added some butter to the ground meat because it wasn't very fatty.

Ask your supermarket about their meat. I know mine grinds their own and you can ask what they used. I'm sure companies like walmart get the pre-packaged pink slime laced crap.

edit: just read the recipe and it was "flap" not "flat". I'll have to research that a bit.

Tallow is better than butter because of the differences in melting point temps. You'll end up with moister meat (and who doesn't like moist meat)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:39:05 am »
When I make sausage I use packer trimmed brisket, it's got about the right amount of fat.  I may have to start grinding it for burger meat.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:48:22 am »
Chuck and Sirloin. I avoid commercial ground meats because who knows what's in them. And now we know... :P
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 12:11:02 pm »
I use mostly chuck (it has the best flavor) but when I can I add trims from various other cuts including the short ribs and brisket.   I also always add about 10% not-too-lean pork as well (generally from the shoulder butt).  The best burger I ever had (in a bar in central Iowa 41 years ago) used this mix.

Lately, I've also been 'chopping' the meat in a food processor rather than grinding it, or when I do use the grinder, I use a coarser blade plate than typically used in supermarket ground beef.   The resulting difference in texture takes the burger to a new level.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 12:38:59 pm »
I use ground chuck that's typically about 80% lean. I wasn't aware of "pink slime" until I read this thread. This is an eye opener for me. I will ask the supermarket butchers if they use it.
Ron Price

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 07:40:30 am »
when we take our(ok my parent's) cattle in for butcher, they use chuck roasts and other leftover roast pieces.  it really depends on what steaks and roasts we want out of it first, then they grind leftovers for burger.

I pretty much do the same with wild game burger... use leftover 'roast' pieces and blend back in some pork or beef fat, depending on the game.

I guess it's a little different if you've gotta buy all the stuff at the store since they don't really have packages of 'leftovers'.  Or maybe they do, might be worth an inquiry... heck, I get fish carcasses from the local (for free)... just gotta ask for it.