Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best dry yeast for the Bohemian or Czech Pilsner style?  (Read 12530 times)

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
Re: Best dry yeast for the Bohemian or Czech Pilsner style?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2020, 09:33:15 am »
You're not using PU yeast, right? So why try to force it into a PU fermentation schedule?

Genetically it appears (from referencing Suregork) you can't get much closer to the H-Strain in a dry yeast than you will by choosing S-23.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2020, 07:31:35 am »
But it is squeaky clean, lets all the malt shine through loud and clear, at least at cold ~50 F temperature.

That is how I describe 34/70...very clean and neutral, letting the malt shine through. Maybe I'm wrong?

You're not wrong for you.  There can be differences in taste perception due to physiology, culture, experience and other things.

Must be a cultural thing...as my ancestors are Bohemian, and Czech. My grandparents spoke Bohemian.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 07:33:08 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2020, 08:57:18 am »
There was a recent podcast by Escarpment Labs featuring Kristoffer Krogerus talking about lager yeast genetics. One take away was that all of the commercial lager strains from White Labs and Wyeast are Frohburg strains. No Saaz strains are available. The Czech Brewers use Frohburg strains. Saaz strains are available through the yeast collections, for a price.

Years back I had read that Frohburg were used by German brewers, Saaz by Czech Brewers, but that was wrong.

Thought I would put this here. There genetic differences in lager yeast are small compared to ale yeasts.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2020, 04:10:28 am »
all of the commercial lager strains from White Labs and Wyeast are Frohburg strains. No Saaz strains are available. The Czech Brewers use Frohburg strains.

No Saaz strains are available from certain US homebrew yeast labs. That doesn't mean they're not used commercially, it just reflects decisions made by CUHYL when choosing strains, in the same way as their selections of British yeast do not reflect the fact that around half of British commercial brewing yeast strains are phenolic to some degree.

Years back I had read that Frohburg were used by German brewers, Saaz by Czech Brewers, but that was wrong.

Thought I would put this here. There genetic differences in lager yeast are small compared to ale yeasts.

True within the families, but I'd suggest the fact that Saaz have three sets of chromosomes and Frohberg have four sets is a pretty major genetic difference!

It seems that Saaz originated in samples sent out by Carlsberg and Frohberg originated at Heineken (as far as we can tell), presumably reflecting random selections made of ??Czech?? original multistrains.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2020, 05:27:50 am »
There was a recent podcast by Escarpment Labs featuring Kristoffer Krogerus talking about lager yeast genetics. One take away was that all of the commercial lager strains from White Labs and Wyeast are Frohburg strains.

Genetic testing has revealed that WLP-800 is actually an ale yeast.  Definitely not Frohburg.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2020, 08:12:51 am »
There was a recent podcast by Escarpment Labs featuring Kristoffer Krogerus talking about lager yeast genetics. One take away was that all of the commercial lager strains from White Labs and Wyeast are Frohburg strains.

Genetic testing has revealed that WLP-800 is actually an ale yeast.  Definitely not Frohburg.

That is true. This guy is Suregork. His blog is where we learned that 800 and 838 are ale yeasts, and some "ale" strains are lagers genetically. I think he knows.

http://beer.suregork.com/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2020, 08:20:01 am »
all of the commercial lager strains from White Labs and Wyeast are Frohburg strains. No Saaz strains are available. The Czech Brewers use Frohburg strains.

No Saaz strains are available from certain US homebrew yeast labs. That doesn't mean they're not used commercially, it just reflects decisions made by CUHYL when choosing strains, in the same way as their selections of British yeast do not reflect the fact that around half of British commercial brewing yeast strains are phenolic to some degree.

True within the families, but I'd suggest the fact that Saaz have three sets of chromosomes and Frohberg have four sets is a pretty major genetic difference!

It seems that Saaz originated in samples sent out by Carlsberg and Frohberg originated at Heineken (as far as we can tell), presumably reflecting random selections made of ??Czech?? original multistrains.

Evidence today says that there was one hybridization event. The Saaz strains lost a Sac. C. Chromosome. It is more cold tolerant, but not as stable  (I think I got that right).

I was lazy before, and didn't post the link. I think you will enjoy this talk.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0vOLRv-sKvk
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2020, 04:08:36 am »
Apologies for being a little late to the conversation on this. I used 34/70 for years for all my lagers. It is incredibly forgiving of fermentation temperature, and it is squeaky clean. So clean that I always felt that it was missing something - that faint sulfur note that I pick up in most European lagers. I also feel that it tends to mute hop expression a bit.

I tried S-189 and once I got it dialed in, I switched to using it for the majority of my lagers. It gives that hint of sulfur that I like, and I think it does a better job at accentuating hop character - spicy noble hops like Saaz in particular. One thing I've found is that it is not as forgiving as 34/70 with temperature. I pitch it at 40F, then set my chamber to 45F for the first 4-5 days before slowly ramping temps up.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2020, 04:16:42 pm »
Apologies for being a little late to the conversation on this. I used 34/70 for years for all my lagers. It is incredibly forgiving of fermentation temperature, and it is squeaky clean. So clean that I always felt that it was missing something - that faint sulfur note that I pick up in most European lagers. I also feel that it tends to mute hop expression a bit.

I tried S-189 and once I got it dialed in, I switched to using it for the majority of my lagers. It gives that hint of sulfur that I like, and I think it does a better job at accentuating hop character - spicy noble hops like Saaz in particular. One thing I've found is that it is not as forgiving as 34/70 with temperature. I pitch it at 40F, then set my chamber to 45F for the first 4-5 days before slowly ramping temps up.
What's the max temp you would recommend for it? I used to brew with 34/70 a lot, then I switched to liquid strains for basically the same reason as Ken. But I'm looking to go back to using a lot more dry strains. 34/70 was always very temp forgiving. I would often ferment it in the mid 60's; or at the very least, start it at 60F then let it free rise to 66F. Any reason S-189 couldn't be treated the same way?
Jesse

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2020, 09:40:29 pm »

What's the max temp you would recommend for it? I used to brew with 34/70 a lot, then I switched to liquid strains for basically the same reason as Ken. But I'm looking to go back to using a lot more dry strains. 34/70 was always very temp forgiving. I would often ferment it in the mid 60's; or at the very least, start it at 60F then let it free rise to 66F. Any reason S-189 couldn't be treated the same way?
The one time I tried pitching S-189 at 55 then let it rise to 62, it was probably the worst lager I ever brewed. Fruity with solvent notes. I'm not sure how high you can push it, and I'm not really looking to experiment since I know low and slow works well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2020, 10:46:18 pm »

Big fan of 189 myself. It’s my go to lager strain. I have never run it above the low 50s.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2020, 06:21:19 am »
I have used S-189 in the low 60(s) with great results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2020, 07:22:15 am »

The one time I tried pitching S-189 at 55 then let it rise to 62, it was probably the worst lager I ever brewed. Fruity with solvent notes. I'm not sure how high you can push it, and I'm not really looking to experiment since I know low and slow works well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Good to know...not sure I'm wanting to run that risk myself.
Jesse