Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: lag time  (Read 787 times)

Offline rx1970

• 1st Kit
lag time
« on: May 14, 2020, 04:46:16 pm »
Just curious-Split a pilsner between 2 containers, the first was mostly clear cooled wort, the second has most of the hop
slurry and trub. I used 34/70 yeast in the first and it was active the next am at 55 degrees F. The second container has a smaller amount of the same yeast but it took 3 days to start. Will it be OK to consume?  I read once that botulism might be a concern if fermentation didn't start in a timely manner.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: lag time
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 09:08:25 pm »
Where did you read that?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 07:11:22 am »
Botulism caused by a bacteria found in uncooked pork - amount other places.  Yes, where did you find that information?  I recently did a German Kellerbier using 34/70 and it often takes a long time to start as I learned from this forum.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 07:25:11 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
lag time
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 07:38:14 am »
There is a remote chance of botulism.

https://beerandwinejournal.com/botulism/

https://beerandwinejournal.com/q-a-botulism/

My question is why do you think the one split hasn’t ‘started’? 

Could this be a case of a loose fermenter or airlock seal?

Remember, the lag phase is a part of the yeast life-cycle. When presented with an energy source, an adequate pitch of healthy viable yeast will ‘start’ immediately. True enough, visible signs of fermentation such as CO2 production may not be evident to us, but the process has most likely begun.

Using a TILT hydrometer, I have experienced SG drops before visible signs of fermentation are present in an airlock. This is an indication to me that everything is on track even though I can’t witness bubbles from an airlock. I’ve also seen SG drop after airlock activity is finished. Granted those drops are 1-2 points but nevertheless they still happen.

On this graph I have circled the beginning of fermentation but no bubbles escaped from the airlock at this point (or if they did they were so few and far between I didn’t see them):

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 08:42:47 am by BrewBama »

Offline rx1970

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 09:19:06 am »
Hey BrewBama-
  Thanks for the reply. My smaller batch did show activity after 3 days. It probably was just underpitched as I had skimmed a portion of the direct-pitched yeast from the larger batch. I saw a Homebrewtalk/thread/botulism source which is more con-fusing than enlightening. Your link of the Beer and Wine Journal is the best answer plus your Pivo chart is helpful as well.

Thanks so much, Nick in Mingo Junction