Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP 002 High Temp Fermentation  (Read 3118 times)

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
WLP 002 High Temp Fermentation
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:58:56 am »
So over the weekend I brewed a English Extra Special Bitter using 002. Usually I ferment with this yeast at about 65 degrees, but wanted to play with a higher fermentation temp to see how I like it. Unfortunately, it ended up a little higher than I wanted 69/70. I kept it steady so the yeast didn't flock out but now I am wondering what to expect. I am sure the beer will turn out fine but wanted to use this as a learning experience. What kinds of flavors can I expect?

Thanks!

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: WLP 002 High Temp Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:38:21 am »
more stone fruit esters mostly at that temp.  I ferment that yeast at 68 in my ESB and enjoy it quite a bit. You may like it!

Take notes and let us know what you found. :)
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:47:28 am »
more stone fruit esters mostly at that temp.  I ferment that yeast at 68 in my ESB and enjoy it quite a bit. You may like it!

Take notes and let us know what you found. :)

I also try to finish up at 68F after pitching at 62F, but I have to use a fermwrap with a controller because my cellar is sitting at 60F now.

I think you'll be okay as long as you didn't go beyond 70F. It will be fruity but probably not too much so.
Ron Price

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:59:15 am »
Thanks guys! That is exactly what happened. Actually the beer tastes fantastic... the higher fermentation temp gave a little banana ester on the finish that reminds of Boddingtons. Actually the beers tastes a LOT like Boddingtons so I am fairly happy camper. Less then a week from brew to keg to my mouth. A bit of rush but it's good never the less.  ;D