Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: intentionally weak beer  (Read 6016 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: intentionally weak beer
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 09:55:07 am »
I think what you are trying to do is brew an emerging style that I have seen called "San Diego Session Ale,"  "West Coast Session Ale," or even just an "American Bitter."

I liked the style better when it was called XPA. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 10:00:14 am »
This is the Stone Beer you are looking for.

http://www.stonebrew.com/levitation/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline melferburque

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 10:10:50 am »

daaaaaamn, I see that all the time but hadn't tried it yet.  looks a bit darker than what I'm after, but the ABV and IBU look about right.  I'll do some sleuthing for clones.  thanks!
weirdo in a weird land.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 10:18:34 am »
Here is a recent thread on it. Stone also recently did a West Coast Bitter Pro-AM collaboration with Kelsey McNair. a local homebrewer. I have brewed it once, it is pretty tasty!

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=10750.msg133923#msg133923

Offline melferburque

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 10:47:25 am »
Mash at 158 at least. my house session beer clocks in a a sopping 1.032 with, depending on if I want hoppy or not, between 5-12 oz of hops starting at 15 minutes. big malt big hops and with a low attenuating british yeast a nice sane 1.012 fg. so like ~3% abv. drink it all night.

I saw you had commented on the session IPA thread as well, isn't 12 oz of late addition hops excessive?  or does it just obliterate your nostrils?  I've only used that much in big IPAs, I rarely go over 6 oz on most of my ales, at least before dry hopping. does it make a difference, or are you just wasting hops at that point?
weirdo in a weird land.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 10:55:53 am »

daaaaaamn, I see that all the time but hadn't tried it yet.  looks a bit darker than what I'm after, but the ABV and IBU look about right.  I'll do some sleuthing for clones.  thanks!

The Can You Brew It Show with Jamil Zainasheff brewed this beer a while back.  The consensus was cloned.
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/594

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 12:07:39 pm »
Mash at 158 at least. my house session beer clocks in a a sopping 1.032 with, depending on if I want hoppy or not, between 5-12 oz of hops starting at 15 minutes. big malt big hops and with a low attenuating british yeast a nice sane 1.012 fg. so like ~3% abv. drink it all night.

I saw you had commented on the session IPA thread as well, isn't 12 oz of late addition hops excessive?  or does it just obliterate your nostrils?  I've only used that much in big IPAs, I rarely go over 6 oz on most of my ales, at least before dry hopping. does it make a difference, or are you just wasting hops at that point?

yeah the 12 oz might be a little over the top. I think 6 would be fine. the base recipe is just munich and a little crystal 40. but I think the key, besides the munich, is to skip any 'bittering' hops and load them all into the last 15 minutes. still plenty of bitter but it doesn't overwhelm the malt that way.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline melferburque

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 12:21:10 pm »

yeah the 12 oz might be a little over the top. I think 6 would be fine. the base recipe is just munich and a little crystal 40. but I think the key, besides the munich, is to skip any 'bittering' hops and load them all into the last 15 minutes. still plenty of bitter but it doesn't overwhelm the malt that way.

no bittering AT ALL?  I've never done that before...  but I guess if I'm adding an ounce of something like cascade every five minutes for the last twenty minutes, and some dry-hopping, it could work.  I'm just worried it'd be all flavor/aroma and too much sweetness from the crystal and munich.  would it be worth adding a bit of bittering to the mash instead of the boil?
weirdo in a weird land.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 12:48:27 pm »

no bittering AT ALL?  I've never done that before...  but I guess if I'm adding an ounce of something like cascade every five minutes for the last twenty minutes, and some dry-hopping, it could work.  I'm just worried it'd be all flavor/aroma and too much sweetness from the crystal and munich.  would it be worth adding a bit of bittering to the mash instead of the boil?

It is called "hop bursting."

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1249/MJzym06_LateHops.pdf

You still get bittering from all the late additions.  You just don't have a "bittering" addition.  Trust me, the beer will be bitter enough with 10-12 oz. in the last 20 minutes.  Mash hopping is probally a waste of time.  If it is of concern you just add 0.25oz for a small bittering charge?  Sweetness is perception on your palate generally related to your attenuation.  If you pitch enough healthy yeast and ferment at an appropriate temp you should be ok.  Plus all of the hop tannins will offset the dextrins from the crystal and munich malt.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
intentionally weak beer
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 01:08:31 pm »
I know that numerically that hop bursting approaches lend the right number of IBUs, but to my palate the beers I've had (commercial and homebrew) just seem to be missing a certain backbone to their bite.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 02:37:27 pm »
I know that numerically that hop bursting approaches lend the right number of IBUs, but to my palate the beers I've had (commercial and homebrew) just seem to be missing a certain backbone to their bite.
Maybe the perfect complement to an XPA though?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 04:06:22 pm »
Maybe.. I think I'd still prefer a smaller than normal bittering dose just to give it a little teeth.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline melferburque

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 05:01:58 pm »
Maybe.. I think I'd still prefer a smaller than normal bittering dose just to give it a little teeth.

I agree, I think I'll keep a bit of columbus at the front.
weirdo in a weird land.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 07:25:25 pm »
Not crazy. I brew like this frequently for the same reasons you stated. You could go a point or so lower and be in "Mild" territory.

Use specialty/crystal malts to give it body and flavor.

I don't like getting plowed after just a could beers. Like to sip on some session beers and enjoy myself. 

Stone Levitation is my favorite relatively low ABV commercial beer.  It's great for weeknights too!  It's got lots of hops and flavor, but without the usual 6.5+% of my "hoppy" beer selections.

Anybody got a good clone recipe for levitation?  Extract / partial mash / or even all-grain?

Good luck on this project!

ETA: LOL didn't read the whole thread yet... see all the levitation references now!  It is great stuff though!