Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Cases! Help!  (Read 15341 times)

Offline mileskup

• 1st Kit
Beer Cases! Help!
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:21:51 pm »
I have been in homebrewing business per se for a little bit, and I have been using cardboard boxes for  while, but I need a new option, I lost a case after the bottom went out on me......I searched on google and cwcrates.com came up, anyone heard of them? reviews? And I saw milk crates came up too, what works better?

Thanks!

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Beer Cases! Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:25:55 pm »
Dole banana boxes. Sturdy and they have handles, just no lids. Check at the wholesale clubs.

Offline mileskup

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 02:59:30 pm »
Yeah I'm trying to move away from the cardboard aspect, more along the lines of something more waterproof. Thanks for the reply though

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:19:56 pm »
I don't have any of the crates from cwcrates.com but I know someone who does.  I took a look at them and they are very nice.  The person I know who has some really likes them.  I haven't checked the prices but I was told the prices are quite reasonable.  Hope this helps.

cheers,
Brandon

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 03:35:04 pm »
Yeah I'm trying to move away from the cardboard aspect, more along the lines of something more waterproof. Thanks for the reply though

These are much more durable than standard cardboard, but I understand your concern.

Just a suggestion, but when stacking  something on the floor of your garage, basement or other possible wet area, put it on a pallet. They're free just about everywhere and your boxes will stay dry. I always stack my grain sacks on these, just in case.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 06:52:10 am »
Cool. They also sell an insert so you can dry your bottles in the case instead of on a bottle tree.

http://www.cwcrate.com/Drying-T-s-for-Beer-Bottles-p/24-12-t.htm
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 07:40:05 am »
Some people from the club have the cwcrates and like those.  Those crates were robust, and looked to be fairly water proof.  I didn't get any since more kegs were on my buy list.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:55:07 am »
I use the $5 plastic filing crates from Wally-World.  You need to cut a piece of 1/4 ply to strengthen the base, but they hold 30 bottles (5x6) perfectly, and are just tall enough to stack.  They also hold 20 bombers or wine bottles (5x4) perfectly too, but you cant stack 'em that way.

Disclaimer, I did NOT buy a case of Hard Lime, I simply re-purposed the box home from the liquor store...

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 09:03:23 am »

Disclaimer, I did NOT buy a case of Hard Lime, I simply re-purposed the box home from the liquor store...

no need for an explanation mr. angry scotsman. you are among friends here. 8)
also if you need help emptying those bottles......
Don AHA member

Offline andrewhejl

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 09:12:10 am »
I bought a dozen cases from CW Crate and I'm very happy with them.  They're definitely sturdy, seal tight and I have no concerns about water damage or a bottom falling out.  I think that with shipping they were ~$12 per crate.

Offline mileskup

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 09:24:34 am »
I bought a dozen cases from CW Crate and I'm very happy with them.  They're definitely sturdy, seal tight and I have no concerns about water damage or a bottom falling out.  I think that with shipping they were ~$12 per crate.
Cool, that price doesn't sound bad, thanks for the reivew, exactly what I was looking for, never really seen anything like them. do they stack easy?

also a great idea, never really thought of that, but I would prefer them to be covered you know?
and don't worry, we all have those days haha

These are much more durable than standard cardboard, but I understand your concern.

Just a suggestion, but when stacking  something on the floor of your garage, basement or other possible wet area, put it on a pallet. They're free just about everywhere and your boxes will stay dry. I always stack my grain sacks on these, just in case.

Yeah I like having stackability though in corner or something, I'd rather not have a pallet laying around. I'm thinking that cwcrates will provide this, not really sure though, I'll wait for some more replies. Thanks for you help though.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 09:43:09 am »
You can also make some out of 1/2 plywood...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 09:51:35 am »
I've got bottles in a variety of different containers including wine boxes, milk crates and two cases of some plastic crate things made especially for bottles that someone gave me.

I keep mine up off the floor on a raised platform (at least now I do, I did not always) so moisture is not necessarily an issue.

Honestly, I've found that wine cases are really ideal.  They're stackable (to a degree) and hold bombers perfectly.  If they get wet and need to be tossed you can get more for free at Binny's.  They're sturdy and they are meant to hold full bottles.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline mileskup

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 01:57:58 pm »
hm. never thought of that either, I will take that into consideration.

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 03:37:05 pm »
I bought a few of those CW Crates and love them!  My cardboard crates were tearing at the handles and duct tape can only repair them so much.  In the warmer months, you can put ice in the case to keep your beer cold for parties, etc.