Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My one hang-up before going all-grain...  (Read 7355 times)

Offline afacini

• Cellarman
Re: My one hang-up before going all-grain...
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 01:08:37 pm »
Well I just did my first brew, and only days before that finished my brewstand. I guess I put mine together using a modular approach and it need not be "expensive". Of course expensive is different for all of us. Thing that helped me is a friend is a welder, so find a friend that welds or make friends with a welder. Here is a link to my story. I have around $100 into metal + some dollars for burners and regs. Go too Agri supply for burners and regs. That stuff is cover all over out there.

http://snakeriverbrewers.org/index.php?topic=3900.0

That stuff looks excellent - great job. I lack the materials or storage space for that sort of brewstand, but it is a more distant goal of mine. It almost looks like you could buy semi-cheap metal deck furniture and take a blowtorch to it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:10:39 pm by afacini »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 01:27:13 pm »
Wooden brew stands are a lot cheaper to build than metal ones.

Tom Schmidlin

Offline afacini

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 01:33:29 pm »
Dang, that seems like a fun build. I can more likely get that built, but still need more storage space. Modularity helps but only to a point.

Also, I am clearly approaching this whole all-grain brewing thing wrong, since I do not own a dog.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 01:40:16 pm »
That's just a statue I put out when I'm brewing.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 01:42:36 pm »
If you can swing it, go with a metal stand. No chance of it burning with your propane heater, it will be sturdier and it will last a lot longer. Do add some rollers to it though. They can end up being quite heavy.

Offline aa7yy

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 01:53:23 pm »
Wooden brew stands are a lot cheaper to build than metal ones.
Yea, probably, but mine pulls apart. The part the MT sits on is sort of like a coffee table. Flip it over, set the two burner sections inside between the "table legs" and pile the other leg extensions in there. Maybe 16"X36"X22" total. Real lite and easy to carry pieces. Make the one burner section, then the MT section and build it so the same burner work for the HLT and BK. Anyhow, seems real easy to store. Removable leg extensions.

A million choices

Offline eltharyon

• Cellarman
    • Barefoot Lion Brewing
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 01:54:37 pm »
Tom,
How do you keep the tops from burning?  I'm liking the wood idea, at least for now.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 01:58:22 pm »
Tom,
How do you keep the tops from burning?  I'm liking the wood idea, at least for now.

Take a look under the burners...looks like baking sheets there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 03:25:05 pm »
Yes, there are baking sheets - the kind with air in between two pieces of metal.  Realistically though, they are probably not even needed.  They don't get that hot, the heat is going up.  i still use them though, every time.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 06:11:14 pm »
It's a labor of love. I started out on the stovetop like most and wound up with a single tier brewstand. However it can be as simple as a propane burner sitting on a couple of masonry blocks. Homebrewing is a process that starts simply and can grow or blossom into something much more. It is what you make of it and that can somewhat pragmatic to very sophisticated. It all depends on your aspirations. In the end one should RDWHAHB.  :)
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 11:24:25 pm »
It's a labor of love. I started out on the stovetop like most and wound up with a single tier brewstand. However it can be as simple as a propane burner sitting on a couple of masonry blocks. Homebrewing is a process that starts simply and can grow or blossom into something much more. It is what you make of it and that can somewhat pragmatic to very sophisticated. It all depends on your aspirations. In the end one should RDWHAHB.  :)

Hey That's ME! and my brew rig!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 11:35:36 pm »

How bout this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjAOeZmBjB4&feature=context&context=C422020eADvjVQa1PpcFNuSzSb0rvg--8MgmGzKCb6DGPY1a5Skd4=?

That cost me next to nothing.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 07:30:34 am »
Got a sunroom/covered porch/whatever?...

Joe