Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "The Grand Timeline"  (Read 23743 times)

Offline afacini

• Cellarman
Re: "The Grand Timeline"
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 06:48:37 pm »
I own a business and whenever I post an ad I get a few responses that they will work for me but have no experience.  Which means they have no skills and they expect me to provide the training.
My question to you is what skills do you have that makes you qualified to work at a brewery. Drinking beer isn't a qualification.
What skills do you have? Did you go to college or trade school. Do you really want a blue collar job that is hard work? Brewing is a small part of owning a brewery.
Maybe you change your approach and quit whining about why you can't get a job in a brewery as a brewer. I would put my name on the list at one of the brewing schools and get a degree in subject that is a good fit for a brewer.
Your only 24 and I hired kid your age last year and he couldn't keep up with one of my 36 hour days I get to do on occasion and I had to send him home to sleep while I finished up the job. Brewing like any other blue collar job is hard physical work.
I will be opening a brewery one day but I doubt I will be the brewer, there will be many other thinks like cleaning, welding, remodeling and repairing things that my life long resume will be better suited for.  Todd

In the interest of trying not to sound like I'm whining (thanks for that, by the way)...

I went to a 4-year university.
The only appreciable skills I have towards brewing itself is my limited experience in homebrewing.
Yes, I really would enjoy a blue collar job where sweat + long days = satisfaction. I don't like or appreciate white collar working life.

As I wrote above, I'm trying. If homebrewing like a maniac is the best I can afford (financially / logistically) at the moment, that's what I'll do. When I can, I will see if I can add on a second job working for free in a local brewery. Like you said, however, 36-hour work days don't exactly jive with having to have a day job to pay rent and loans.

Also, I'm not expecting to step into brewing without any sort of formal lesson/experience. Starting a brewery takes so much more than the actual brewing, and I know that. Like you, it probably won't be me behind-the-wheel of the brewhouse. But I want to be ready to pitch in wherever I can.

I'm sorry your 24-year old didn't work out. But assuming that I'm anything like that person is like assuming that, since you own your own business, you're probably greedy. I know, because once I had an experience with a greedy business owner. Side-note: in college, I worked 8-hour overnights Mon-Thurs on top of my doing school during the day.

Basically, this is exactly the kind of response that set off my first post (which is over a month old at this point).

Todd, best of luck opening that brewery. That's why we're all here. I hope the initial part of this post went some length to help (before it got off-track).

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 07:38:50 pm »
I own a business and whenever I post an ad I get a few responses that they will work for me but have no experience.  Which means they have no skills and they expect me to provide the training.
My question to you is what skills do you have that makes you qualified to work at a brewery. Drinking beer isn't a qualification.
What skills do you have? Did you go to college or trade school. Do you really want a blue collar job that is hard work? Brewing is a small part of owning a brewery.
Maybe you change your approach and quit whining about why you can't get a job in a brewery as a brewer. I would put my name on the list at one of the brewing schools and get a degree in subject that is a good fit for a brewer.
Your only 24 and I hired kid your age last year and he couldn't keep up with one of my 36 hour days I get to do on occasion and I had to send him home to sleep while I finished up the job. Brewing like any other blue collar job is hard physical work.
I will be opening a brewery one day but I doubt I will be the brewer, there will be many other thinks like cleaning, welding, remodeling and repairing things that my life long resume will be better suited for.  Todd

In the interest of trying not to sound like I'm whining (thanks for that, by the way)...

I went to a 4-year university.
The only appreciable skills I have towards brewing itself is my limited experience in homebrewing.
Yes, I really would enjoy a blue collar job where sweat + long days = satisfaction. I don't like or appreciate white collar working life.

As I wrote above, I'm trying. If homebrewing like a maniac is the best I can afford (financially / logistically) at the moment, that's what I'll do. When I can, I will see if I can add on a second job working for free in a local brewery. Like you said, however, 36-hour work days don't exactly jive with having to have a day job to pay rent and loans.

Also, I'm not expecting to step into brewing without any sort of formal lesson/experience. Starting a brewery takes so much more than the actual brewing, and I know that. Like you, it probably won't be me behind-the-wheel of the brewhouse. But I want to be ready to pitch in wherever I can.

I'm sorry your 24-year old didn't work out. But assuming that I'm anything like that person is like assuming that, since you own your own business, you're probably greedy. I know, because once I had an experience with a greedy business owner. Side-note: in college, I worked 8-hour overnights Mon-Thurs on top of my doing school during the day.

Basically, this is exactly the kind of response that set off my first post (which is over a month old at this point).

Todd, best of luck opening that brewery. That's why we're all here. I hope the initial part of this post went some length to help (before it got off-track).

For what it's worth, I didn't detect any whining, but rather frustration with all of the nay saying and I don't blame you. I have no desire to get into brewing on a commercial basis, but if I ever did, I would go elsewhere for advice.  Not trying to stir up trouble, but there aren't a lot of positive vibes in here directed toward anyone that's thinking of getting into the business. Good luck in your endeavors.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
"The Grand Timeline"
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 07:45:17 pm »
When are you not trying to stir up trouble, bo? Honestly I always thought that was the main reason you were here.

I have been brewing professionally for going on two years (my own business) and I can assure you the naysaying is warranted. Im not saying I would do it differently, because I wouldn't. But I am also fortunate in my circumstances.

I also have a hard time understanding why someone would fall in love with idea of brewing before they have mastered the craft. The craft is 99% of the product. And the naysayers are only naysaying because it's a tight market, a lot of work, little money, a huge investment and a huge risk of failure. Not sure why it would be wrong to naysay that circumstance, seems like honesty to me.

All that said, I'd be happy to help you with my experience in anyway I can. Feel free to pm me and I can send you my email address and help asich as possible or at least get you in touch with folks who might know the answer.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:09:30 pm by majorvices »

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 07:50:08 pm »
When are you not trying to stir up trouble, bo? Honestly I always thought that was the main reason you were here.

With all due respect, I am much more respectful to people in here than you are. I even keep my cool when I am called names that the mods never do anything about. It's very one sided.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
"The Grand Timeline"
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 07:58:25 pm »
"all due respect" that's rich! Hahaha! Pretty funny too.

I am sorry if you were called names. I did not see that. Wish you would have reported it. We do not tolerate that.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 08:01:11 pm »
"all due respect" that's rich! Hahaha! Pretty funny too.

I am sorry if you were called names. I did not see that. Wish you would have reported it. We do not tolerate that.

With a little more due respect, bull$hit. You couldn't have missed it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
"The Grand Timeline"
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 08:10:58 pm »
I don't get it. It wasn't as funny as the other post.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 08:14:47 pm »
I don't get it. It wasn't as funny as the other post.

That's probably why you think I'm always trying to stir things up. You don't get it. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
"The Grand Timeline"
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 08:18:14 pm »
Nope. That's not it. But I do get what you were trying to say now and I apologize if I missed something. I honestly do not recall ever seeing you being involved in a name calling incident. If it happened and I was involved with the thread I assure you it was an oversight and I sincerely apologize.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 08:22:12 pm »
Nope. That's not it. But I do get what you were trying to say now and I apologize if I missed something. I honestly do not recall ever seeing you being involved in a name calling incident. If it happened and I was involved with the thread I assure you it was an oversight and I sincerely apologize.

It's really not a problem, but I appreciate your apology.  If it was, I would have said something about it a long time ago. Hey, it's an online forum. If you aren't a little thick skinned, you have no business being in one.

Cheers.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 08:26:03 pm »
Now kids, back to the topic.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
"The Grand Timeline"
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 08:27:10 pm »
If it ever happens again please let me know personally. I agree, we need to be thick skinned. But name calling is just BS.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 10:38:52 pm »

With all due respect, I am much more respectful to people in here than you are. I even keep my cool when I am called names that the mods never do anything about. It's very one sided.

I swear it wasn't me.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 02:16:44 am »
We gotta watch the spring-fever around here... :o

To the OP- I say start to brewing all grain right now! And save some money for the next few years while you gauge your brewing skills. There is a lot to learn and the transition to AG isn't as easy as many imply. In the mean time lay the groundwork nice and neat; when you're ready you'll also be ready to train as well. I hate to see a midlife crisis at 24! It's bad enough later on...

Cheers!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 07:08:21 am »
One thing I will say is I wish I was doing this at 24 rather than 42. Speaking off midlife crisis.  :o