Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "The Grand Timeline"  (Read 23907 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: "The Grand Timeline"
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2012, 12:58:16 pm »
There's a place by my house that sells "pints" that are really 12oz.

And the prices are high.  But they have some great beer and I can walk there so I like to go on occasion.

If the prices were better, I'd go more regularly.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2012, 01:16:32 pm »
If your consumers think its worth it, the unit cost is irrelevant (within reason). Sam Calagione's "Brewing Up A Business" focuses a lot on this idea. Give it a read!

I'd be more concerned with ordering a "pint" as advertised and being served less. Might not be a big deal to some - but its best not to deceive your consumers.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2012, 02:46:26 pm »
I'd be more concerned with ordering a "pint" as advertised and being served less. Might not be a big deal to some - but its best not to deceive your consumers.

I called them out on the glass sizes once.  I had a stout in a British pint glass (with the bulb out near the top).  I told the woman behind the bar it was a 12 oz glass.

She filled one with water and poured it into one of the other standard "pint" glasses to prove it was a pint.  I told her all she did was prove that all of their glasses were 12 ounces.

She did not like me much.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2012, 04:33:11 pm »

I called them out on the glass sizes once.  I had a stout in a British pint glass (with the bulb out near the top).  I told the woman behind the bar it was a 12 oz glass.

She filled one with water and poured it into one of the other standard "pint" glasses to prove it was a pint.  I told her all she did was prove that all of their glasses were 12 ounces.

She did not like me much.

I gotta ask, how did you know it was only 12 oz? did you bring a measuring cup with you? she might have been unhappy becuase you were accusing them of something they weren't doing.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2012, 06:07:54 pm »
I've held enough pints in my life to know what is a pint and what isn't.

And if you pour a twelve ounce bottle into a pint it should have room left over and not be full.

These glasses were 12 oz.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2012, 12:30:41 pm »
I have a bunch of the US 20oz nonic pint glasses. Pour a 12oz beer in one and it doesn't even reach the "bulge".

Joe- instead of trying to argue and prove you wrong the bartender should have went to her supervisor/manager and had them talk to you about it. If she was young she was probably unhappy you didn't back down from your assertion and I'm surprised you didn't get a bunch of smart-ass answers from her.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2012, 03:16:34 pm »
Yeah.  It wasn't much of an argument.  And her supervisor is the owner who was not there.

They lost their liquor license, so it's moot.  Which is too bad, because I would go back regardless of the glass size.  They have (had) Old Rasputin on tap.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2012, 09:18:12 pm »
Well Joe Sr. if you vacation north stop by out tap house and we will be glad to cheat you out of your dollars! ;) I can see how we can over pay for our beers, we are stuck paying for the over head. Did you know that if you want to pour New Glarus's top line beers like Raspberry tart or Belgian Red you have to have tap line cleaning class and that ain't cheap.

No excuses all our beers will be under $4 but our glass may vary from a 8 oz or 16 oz.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:20:54 pm by boulderbrewer »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2012, 08:37:57 am »
I do vacation north.  Where are you at?

I'll be up north of Eau Claire sometime in August for a family pig roast.

To be honest, the kids don't get too excited about a day trip to a brewery.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2012, 10:34:20 am »
I do vacation north.  Where are you at?

I'll be up north of Eau Claire sometime in August for a family pig roast.

To be honest, the kids don't get too excited about a day trip to a brewery.

you should check out Thirsty Monks brewery, I assume you are refering to eau claire WI.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2012, 10:38:51 am »
Yes.  I always plan to, but we stay about two hours north of Eau Claire.  It would be a long day trip with three kids, especially after the looooooong drive getting there.

I do pick up some growlers of his beer every time we pass through.  His Marzen was outstanding.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2012, 01:39:12 pm »
Yes.  I always plan to, but we stay about two hours north of Eau Claire.  It would be a long day trip with three kids, especially after the looooooong drive getting there.

I do pick up some growlers of his beer every time we pass through.  His Marzen was outstanding.
Joe Sr. Thank you.
Just letting you know that we have open a tap room. It is not too far from 53 north.
Once more time thank you for buying my beer.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2012, 01:48:09 pm »
You're welcome.  We stopped at the Foster Cheese House specifically to get some of your beer (and cheese curds, and ice cream for the kids).

My wife really likes your Bohemian Dark Lager.  I took the Marzen to a dinner party and everyone enjoyed it.

I'll try to hit the tap room on the next trip, but on the way up I've been in the car over 6 or 7 hours by the time we get there and on the way back I've got 6 or 7 hours to go...  The growlers are perfect for bringing some back, though.  I suppose I should bring back my empties for the deposit!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2012, 02:24:02 pm »

Joe Sr. Thank you.
Just letting you know that we have open a tap room. It is not too far from 53 north.
Once more time thank you for buying my beer.

Having tried your beer, I'll say that anyone able to get it should consider themselves very lucky.  I wish I was able to get it here!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2012, 09:47:24 pm »
Denny,
Thank you very kind words.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com