Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Got the cops called on me!  (Read 12568 times)

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
Got the cops called on me!
« on: March 10, 2012, 02:56:38 pm »
I've heard of this happening, but didn't believe it happened. We moved into an apartment in the new city we're in until we find a permanent place, on with an open basement for a brewery/bar of course. While brewing my Irish Red I had a knock at the door...the cops had been called because a neighbor "smelled a funny odor"...this just happened to be after my first hop addition. After 30 minutes of showing them the boil, the cleaned out mash tun, the hops and swearing upon a stack of brewing books I wasn't smoking pot they left...I'm making an IPA next weekend just to see if they'll call the cops again! Had I been arrested this would have been not so funny...but since I'm off the hook and have my beer almost finished this is awesome!!!!!
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
Re: Got the cops called on me!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 03:07:40 pm »
Thats pretty funny...now your free to chief at your own leisure and they'll think your brewing!
mmmm....beer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 03:28:07 pm »
Nosy bastards. :P
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 03:57:34 pm »
You should invite the neighbors to taste your beers. All except those bastards. Go like "Ha ha ha! You don't get any because you're stupid!"
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 04:24:32 pm »
Call the police and find you who made the complaint. Don't get mad, get even. I really hate people that do that and it's happened plenty of times to me, but not for brewing, so far.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 04:48:30 pm »
Call the police and find you who made the complaint. Don't get mad, get even. I really hate people that do that and it's happened plenty of times to me, but not for brewing, so far.

The complainant is confidential...for that very reason.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 05:04:44 pm »
they probably didn't know better and didn't want a pot head loose.  make a double batch and have an open house to share.  maybe attract some more interest in the hobby.  maybe an apology.  at least that way the next brewer who moves in will be better off. (so will a pot head 8)
Don AHA member

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 05:57:03 pm »

Dude...RDWHAHB
mmmm....beer

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 06:41:04 pm »

That must depend on the local department, because I was always able to find out who complained.

I'm just saying that people need to grow some and go meet people and ask what they are doing before randomly calling the  police. First off, the police are busy will real problems and secondly, it's a coward's way to do things. If you were really doing something illegal, would you be doing it outside? People need to show some common sense.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:55:59 pm by bo »

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 06:42:29 pm »
man, that's crazy. 

everytime i brew, part of me wishes the cops would come and arrest me since homebrewing is illegal.  i feel like that would cast enough absurdity on an asinine archaic prohibition whose time has long gone.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 07:25:03 pm »
If you were really doing something illegal, would you be doing it outside?

most of the time 8)
Don AHA member

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 07:58:18 pm »
I'm curious about the 30 minutes.

Did it take that long because you were showing them the ropes, or were you actually under some sort of suspicion until you FINALLY managed to convince them after half an hour?
again just curious as I wasn't clear from the OP how friendly they were.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 12:40:19 am »

That must depend on the local department, because I was always able to find out who complained.

I'm just saying that people need to grow some and go meet people and ask what they are doing before randomly calling the  police. First off, the police are busy will real problems and secondly, it's a coward's way to do things. If you were really doing something illegal, would you be doing it outside? People need to show some common sense.
You don't know what they were thinking - if you though your neighbor was cooking meth would you go knock on their door and tell them to stop?  Or call the cops?

Yeah, it's silly, but their ignorance was just an inconvenience, no harm done.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 01:17:23 am »
"f*ck it dude, let's go bowling."
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 07:30:20 am »

You don't know what they were thinking - if you though your neighbor was cooking meth would you go knock on their door and tell them to stop?  Or call the cops?

Yeah, it's silly, but their ignorance was just an inconvenience, no harm done.

If I came upon a funny looking device in the middle of the woods, then yes, I get the hell out of there, but in an apartment complex would be something different. Even if I didn't go talk to them, I'd still be reluctant to call the police. For one thing, just about everything is public record and I wouldn't want a "drug dealer" pissed at me anyway.

I guess I've just had the cops called on me too many times for BS stuff like tuning a dirt bike for a few minutes in the middle of the afternoon or playing in a garage band at around the same time. Some people really need to get a life.