Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Got the cops called on me!  (Read 12519 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Got the cops called on me!
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 07:48:54 am »
In Des Moines last year an apartment complex burned down because someone was running a meth lab in a ground floor apartment. 

When asking the question "If you were doing something stupid, would you do it here?" you cannot assume the idiot who would actually do said stupid activity is, in fact, only as stupid as you.  For that reason it isn't really unreasonable to err on the side of caution and let the authorities deal with it.

I've had a couple of very nice discussions with the police here in Urbandale.  Now they know me, they know what I do.  It actually is kind of nice to know the local cops by name.  I try to meet any new folks in the neighborhood and get to know them a bit.  I make sure to include brewing in my bio when introducing myself.  In 18 years I've only had one person shun me because they opposed alcohol use and therefore brewing.  Get to know your neighbors becuase it's important for more reasons than brewing.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 07:52:05 am »
I'm curious about the 30 minutes.

Did it take that long because you were showing them the ropes, or were you actually under some sort of suspicion until you FINALLY managed to convince them after half an hour?
again just curious as I wasn't clear from the OP how friendly they were.

cheers--
--Michael

I think the police were a little bored, and the police officer kid was about 12 and new, because we went thru the whole list of possible things I could have done wrong. First it was I was smoking pot, then it was homebrewing is illegal (I live in Colorado we're perfectly legal), then it was an open flame on the deck (again legal), and then we came back full circle with somebody is illegally smoking pot in the area...which I find hard to believe they know since medicinal pot is allowed in Colorado...I also live below a woman who calls the cops 2 a week (it's an average so that number can go up) for anything and everything.

In the end the beer was brewed, I "got a warning to not do anything illegal" HA!, and the lady upstairs is getting the hoppiest IPA I can brew next week.
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 08:27:25 am »
Take the high road and just offer all your neighbors a beer that you brewed. No need to assume they're being spiteful in calling the cops, more likely just ignorant. Teach them the joy of the hobby/obsession.
Mark Gres

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 09:32:48 am »

Did it take that long because you were showing them the ropes, or were you actually under some sort of suspicion until you FINALLY managed to convince them after half an hour?

cheers--
--Michael

I think the police were a little bored, and the police officer kid was about 12 and new, because we went thru the whole list of possible things I could have done wrong. First it was I was smoking pot, then it was homebrewing is illegal (I live in Colorado we're perfectly legal), then it was an open flame on the deck (again legal), and then we came back full circle with somebody is illegally smoking pot in the area...which I find hard to believe they know since medicinal pot is allowed in Colorado...I also live below a woman who calls the cops 2 a week (it's an average so that number can go up) for anything and everything.

In the end the beer was brewed, I "got a warning to not do anything illegal" HA!, and the lady upstairs is getting the hoppiest IPA I can brew next week.

And there you have it. Someone that needs a life and no matter what you do, she'll continue to call the cops for any reason she can dream up. Take the high road, low road or any road in between and you'll get the same results. I've dealt with people just like that and they never change. You offer her a beer and she tell the cops your selling alcohol in the complex or some other stupid ass thing.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 10:00:18 am »
I brewed beer at our state fair last year as a demonstration. Most people who stopped by were interested, but one lady thought I was joking - and when I finally convinced her that we really were brewing beer she looked at me like I was demonstrating how to manufacture heroin.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 10:52:34 am »
If you were really doing something illegal, would you be doing it outside?

most of the time 8)

Before I started brewing, I had a neighbor that was super friendly and seemingly a good parent. I thought it a bit suspicious that he had so many late evening visitors, but I was trusting. I always thought it odd that I could smell a bleach like smell outside. After living next to him for 3 years, the cops paid him a visit one day. They hauled him off for making and selling meth. He'd been hiding his "hobby" in broad daylight for years, apparently making it in his garage. People get comfortable doing their thing, whether legal or not.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 12:28:07 pm »
Hmmmm. A spiteful lady who calls the cops a slightest provocation? And you live under her? Let's see if I can help...

You like heavy metal? Dance music? Disco? Listening to Country real loud? How about Cojunto? As long as it's within legal hours I'd develop a hearing problem and have to listen to my music and surround sound tv real loud.

Cops come. Turn it down. They leave- turn it back up. 8) You get the idea. :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 01:30:31 pm »
And there you have it. Someone that needs a life and no matter what you do, she'll continue to call the cops for any reason she can dream up. Take the high road, low road or any road in between and you'll get the same results. I've dealt with people just like that and they never change. You offer her a beer and she tell the cops your selling alcohol in the complex or some other stupid ass thing.
Have you met beersk?  I think you'd get along. :)

The neighbors may be stupid, annoying, or whatever, but they're not worth worrying about.  Take them a beer, be generous and kind, and if they still dislike you or want to call the cops, that's on them.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 01:42:40 pm »
[Have you met beersk?  I think you'd get along. :)

;D ;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 03:19:25 pm »

cheers--
--Michael

Never let the cops in. NEVER! Unless they have a search warrant. They have no right to be in your place for any reason without a warrant, especially if they are going to run down the gambit of "what could you be doing that is illegal?". That crap would piss me off.. Tell them to secure a warrant and come back. This is America not the Soviet Union.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 04:18:15 pm »
Hehe, this thread just gets better and better...
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 04:28:31 pm »
Never let the cops in. NEVER! Unless they have a search warrant. They have no right to be in your place for any reason without a warrant, especially if they are going to run down the gambit of "what could you be doing that is illegal?". That crap would piss me off.. Tell them to secure a warrant and come back. This is America not the Soviet Union.
Maybe, but since he did let them in and fully cooperated he should call their supervisor.  Not to lodge any kind of formal complaint, but to say "hey, I cooperated, let them in, explained what I was doing, and all I got in return was a bunch of BS including the guy telling me homebrewing is illegal".  Tell whoever that you'd like him to inform his officers that it is legal and fun, and you'd be happy to give them a demonstration and provide samples if they are interested.

Especially with the police, it is better to make friends than enemies and have them looking for an excuse to bother you.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 04:43:48 pm »
I think that's a great higher road to take, Tom. But you can explain everything you are doing at the door with the officer. Not saying don't show them respect, but they know very well that they have no right coming into your home if you don't invite them. They can return to the precinct and investigate the laws more closely and see if they have reason enough for a warrant. but coming into your house and trying to find something you are doing that is illegal - that's beyond the scope of what law enforcement is intended for.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »
I think that's a great higher road to take, Tom. But you can explain everything you are doing at the door with the officer. Not saying don't show them respect, but they know very well that they have no right coming into your home if you don't invite them. They can return to the precinct and investigate the laws more closely and see if they have reason enough for a warrant. but coming into your house and trying to find something you are doing that is illegal - that's beyond the scope of what law enforcement is intended for.
I agree, I'm talking about what to do now that the horse has left the barn :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 05:23:16 pm »
I agree, I'm talking about what to do now that the horse has left the barn :)

The horse has left the barn in oh so many ways these days, and the rest left inside are headed for the door at a gallop...

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907