Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bulk versus bottle.  (Read 1754 times)

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
Bulk versus bottle.
« on: March 11, 2012, 03:39:17 pm »
I brewed a wee heavy that was 1.098 and has been in the primary for 3 weeks. What do you guys think for best results? One more week in primary then bottle and age. Bottle now and age. Rack to secondary and bulk age off the cake.

I would appreciate your input. It smells amazing and fermented at 62 degrees. Gravity is down to a few points of what I was looking for.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Bulk versus bottle.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 04:15:48 pm »
Wait until the gravity is steady, then bottle and age it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline krustybb

• Cellarman
  • Grab a Brew and Relax
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:24:02 am »
Okay weird, So I had not had any air lock activity or visible krausen for many days. I took another gravity sample last night to see if I was still at the same place and I was but now this morning it is bubbling in the air lock. Is it possible I roused the yeast enough? My sanitation was fantastic for my sample taking.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:35:33 am »
Okay weird, So I had not had any air lock activity or visible krausen for many days. I took another gravity sample last night to see if I was still at the same place and I was but now this morning it is bubbling in the air lock. Is it possible I roused the yeast enough? My sanitation was fantastic for my sample taking.

If your room temperature increased, it will start bubbling just because of expansion. I'd still wait a couple of days and take a third reading to see if you're still the same.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:54:16 am »

also just disturbing the beer at this point will cause some co2 to come out of solution. don't trust the airlock. so many things can make it not bubble while everything is going fine or bubble when it's actully done fermenting.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce