Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Got the cops called on me!  (Read 12521 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Got the cops called on me!
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2012, 11:18:15 pm »
I've shared this before, not sure it was here. A bit lengthy but lots of good info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
I generally have a short attention span for randomly posted videos, but I watched this thing all of the way through.  Really good information.  Damn.

As an aside, research shows that smart people are among the most gullible.  They know they're smart so they think they can't be fooled, and that confidence makes them easier to fool.  ::)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2012, 01:34:58 am »
I was a detective in SC for over a decade and have a whole different view point. Hence, I ain't getting in the middle of this one ;)

Did you testify in the third person?   8)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2012, 01:37:24 am »
I've shared this before, not sure it was here. A bit lengthy but lots of good info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
I generally have a short attention span for randomly posted videos, but I watched this thing all of the way through.  Really good information.  Damn.

As an aside, research shows that smart people are among the most gullible.  They know they're smart so they think they can't be fooled, and that confidence makes them easier to fool.  ::)

But then again, there is a lot to be gained by learning how to play poker well.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2012, 02:50:03 am »
But then again, there is a lot to be gained by learning how to play poker well.
Maybe.  I lack the patience.  I'm not much of a gambler, I get bored and I'm more likely to go all in on a crappy hand to lose my stake so I can go do something else.  Of course the buy in was always $5 or less, winner take all, so I got my entertainment value out of it.  And no, I won't play poker with you :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2012, 03:17:51 am »
It's all about reading people, not letting people read you, and understanding odds.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2012, 05:35:28 am »
It's all about reading people, not letting people read you, and understanding odds.

Love that game. I play as much as I can. Making yourself unpredictable is a key element to winning.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2012, 11:17:45 am »
I understand all of that, I just don't find it to be enough fun to do for longer than an hour or so :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2012, 02:46:19 pm »
For what it is worth, the boiling on the deck could be a potential nuisance or perceived possibility for other crimes, which if done in plain view might give rise to probable cause for entry/ then plain sight doctrine thereafter; so immediately forcing their way into the unit is not entirely outside the realm of legality for the officers.

I say kill the neighbor with kindness (offer him or her the beer when it is ready) and let the cops in - a search warrant (if required to be obtained due to non-cooperation) can be executed with a fairly quick knock followed shortly by a battering ram.

I'm just sayin....I like Tom's approach. ;)

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2012, 03:48:54 pm »
For what it is worth, the boiling on the deck could be a potential nuisance or perceived possibility for other crimes, which if done in plain view might give rise to probable cause for entry/ then plain sight doctrine thereafter; so immediately forcing their way into the unit is not entirely outside the realm of legality for the officers.

I say kill the neighbor with kindness (offer him or her the beer when it is ready) and let the cops in - a search warrant (if required to be obtained due to non-cooperation) can be executed with a fairly quick knock followed shortly by a battering ram.

I'm just sayin....I like Tom's approach. ;)

I get your point, but at some level "perceived possibility for other crimes" isn't enough.
Are all those guys in the park with big pots just part of a chili cookoff, or are they doing something illegal?  Along with that until-proven-guilty thing I think people deserve the benefit of the doubt.  I don't think many police officers go around trying to see crime where there is none, but I do think a lot of neighbors tend to go down that route.  That's unfortunate. 

cheers--
--Michael