Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Reasons for not awarding a first place?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline justenpelton

• 1st Kit
Reasons for not awarding a first place?
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:04:23 am »
I recently received back scoresheets from a rather large brewing competition, and was surpised to see that I received a nice score (39.5) on a beer in a category that had no gold medal awarded.  I guess I assumed that usually happens when the beers in the category are on the lower scoring side?  What genereally are the circumstances that a placement is withheld?  This was the first time I have seen this, so I was just curious.  Thanks

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Reasons for not awarding a first place?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:41:36 am »
It's usually decided by the judges on the panel (or mini-BOS panel if the flight was split amongst judging teams).

They'll talk about the entries and decide that they don't feel there's an entry they feel deserving of a 1st. (Some competitions also restrict this by rules stating that a 1st place must have a minimum score of 35).

Having said that a beer with a score of 39.5 not receiving a gold medal is puzzling. The scenario I see is this: Big competition = big flights. This is turn means that your beer was probably judged by one panel of judges and raised up to a secondary taste off (mini-BOS). There for whatever reasons, the judges on re-evaluation of the beer decided to eliminate it from contention (thus no medal) or give it a lower placing. Typically judges do not see the scores assigned to a beer during the mini-BOS tasting
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:44:12 am »
I've seen this happen on a few occasions. As Drew indicated, it's likely that the beer moved on to a mini BOS round where it was edged out by other beers with comparable scores. I've judged some mini BOS rounds with 4-6 beers that had resulted in the higher scoring entry finishing less than 1st place.

Judging during a mini BOS round doesn't take into account the original scoring as a basis for awarding 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in a category. The judges may or may not be aware of the original scoring. The only information they are given is the style, subcategory and special ingredients if applicable.
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:23:54 am »
The 'mini-BOS' thing might explain the OP not receiving a medal but didn't he state that that category ended up with no Gold Medal awarded at all?  That seems strange
Joe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:28:01 am »
Like Drew said, it happens sometimes when the judges decide there is no beer worthy of a 1st place.  I've done it in comps, but never in a mini-BOS.  I do think that's likely to be what happened here though.

You never know what the sample they tasted for the min-BOS tasted like, it may have been a bad bottle.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:37:51 am »
You may contact the comp organizer and politely request an explanation--I'm sure there is one.
Nonetheless, a beer scoring 39.5 is excellent and deserving of a medal unless edged out by 3 "better" beers as judged by those individuals on that particular day.