Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 225011 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2012, 01:27:23 pm »
Apricot is in full bloom, so it snowed this morning. ::)

I got back from Florida on friday night to see my nectarine tree in full bloom. Then got wet, heavy snow overnight that night lol.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2012, 01:28:11 pm »
Wow, nice work morticai! 
You could interplant with fast growing spring things, bc it will take a while for the tater plants to fill out.

I have heard that when you cut potatoes in parts for planting, you need to let them dry out.  Any truth to that?

Yeah, My friend who was helping out and has a lot more knowledge about gardening than I said the same thing so we didn't botter cutting them up. still had plenty. probably about 15-20 purple and maybe twice that for the La Ratte.

on the snowy apricot thing, I hear that. I don't have any fruit trees myself (yet) but several other folks around here are gonna be hurting come july. We had a really warm couple of weeks back in february and all the trees started to bloom, then like 3 weeks of cold rainy weather. My friends plum tree got wiped out. every single flower got knocked off  >:( Ahh well mother nature will do what she does.
might put a few onions between the potatoes, not to many but a few. not sure what else. We already have a lettuce patch planted and we can only eat so much lettuce. Maybe some herbs. still gotta score some strawberries to share the mound with the blue berries. mmmm. berry mound.

Oh we also planted cukes (parisian pickling), watermelon (golden midget), and canteloup (petit gris). It's so mice to have a proper garden plot. My 16 month old is loving getting all muddy.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2012, 02:33:27 pm »
Wow, nice work morticai! 
You could interplant with fast growing spring things, bc it will take a while for the tater plants to fill out.

I have heard that when you cut potatoes in parts for planting, you need to let them dry out.  Any truth to that?

It's so mice to have a proper garden plot. My 16 month old is loving getting all muddy.
This is why you should have a garden-for the kids.  My kids grew up eating fresh veggies straight from the garden(muddy carrots, immature sweet peas, etc) and we never had eating issues with either of them.  I cringe every time I see a relative or friend's kid refuse to eat veggies.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2012, 02:41:32 pm »
Wow, nice work morticai! 

It's so mice to have a proper garden plot. My 16 month old is loving getting all muddy.
This is why you should have a garden-for the kids.  My kids grew up eating fresh veggies straight from the garden(muddy carrots, immature sweet peas, etc) and we never had eating issues with either of them.  I cringe every time I see a relative or friend's kid refuse to eat veggies.

On top of not being picky eaters the dirt makes them smarter.  If you can believe the study my oldest daughter read.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2012, 03:50:23 pm »
Not only does dirt make them smarter,
tending a garden teaches kids how to work.  Go weed the peas please.  But ma, I am on facebook.  Go weed.

Dang, I wish I had a few weeders.

might put a few onions between the potatoes, not to many but a few. not sure what else. We already have a lettuce patch planted and we can only eat so much lettuce. Maybe some herbs.

Like radishes any?  basil can get tall in there.  a few carrots? 
I love the interplant community concept.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2012, 04:53:02 pm »
tending a garden teaches kids how to work.  Go weed the peas please.  But ma, I am on facebook.  Go weed.

might put a few onions between the potatoes, not to many but a few. not sure what else. We already have a lettuce patch planted and we can only eat so much lettuce. Maybe some herbs.

good call on teh radishes. we could eat some. also some calendula and marigolds for the bug attractant/repellent qualities. so much to try... it's almost too much fun to handle.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2012, 05:12:47 pm »

good call on teh radishes. we could eat some. also some calendula and marigolds for the bug attractant/repellent qualities. so much to try... it's almost too much fun to handle.

+1 on the radishes. I was always told that some bugs didn't like the way radishes smell, and have always interplanted them around my squashes/pumpkins, with Marigolds around the tomatoes (although it's been getting harder for me to find marigolds that actually have the classic marigold smell). I'm not even a big fan of radishes myself, but you can plant a ton of them and eat the shoots, which are wonderful on grilled food! Other than that, I think they produce lovely flowers...eventually.
Kyle M.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2012, 09:16:36 pm »
Another bonus with radishes is that they're a good decoy crop for flea beetles. They grow so fast that the beetles won't do any serious damage (unless you want the greens) and it minimizes the damage to your nearby beets/cole crops/etc.

Spinach is another nice early fill-in plant for succession planting, too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Eric B.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2012, 01:25:44 am »
I hear leeks are good to plant around as filler. But you guys are advanced for me. Mine's always a work in progress.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2012, 07:59:41 am »
Mine's always a work in progress.

That is one of the great joys of growing food.  Always a work in progress.
I try new things each year.  Last year it was leeks.  They took a long time to mature, and I did not harvest until after the first frost.  They were awesome with potatoes in soup in winter.  Stored well in fridge as well.

My spinach is getting first set of true leaves.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2012, 11:23:03 am »
Ground is as dry as rock and dirt like baby powder.  Hope we get rain soon.  This year early will be lettuce, spinach, radishes, beets, maybe brussel sprouts and broccoli.  Our asparagus are doing well so far, we've gotten a few meals out of them.  Tomatoes (usually Brandywine, Black Crim, Roma, Arkansas Traveler, Early Girl, beefsteak), spaghetti squash, green, wax, and purple beans, snap peas, hot peppers (habaneros, lemon hot, jalapenos, maybe some sweets as well).  Okra, of course.  No Zuchini (please god, no!).
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2012, 11:29:12 am »
No zucchini????  Man, zucchini on the grill is one of my favorite things to eat.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2012, 01:40:31 pm »
No zucchini????  Man, zucchini on the grill is one of my favorite things to eat.
Yeah, we love zukes.  Grilled is awesome, but I even like to grate it and mix it in with taco meat.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2012, 03:38:05 pm »
Yeah, we love zukes.  Grilled is awesome, but I even like to grate it and mix it in with taco meat.

Going to be growing Zukes for the first time this year. Anyone have any tips? Do they grow like cucumbers or do they sprawl out further like winter squash? Do tomato cages work well for them? Don't know the exact variety of seeds I have, but it's one of the typical straight green varieties from Burpee.
Eric B.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2012, 03:40:18 pm »

I like to mix 'em with egg, onion, bread crumbs, whatever and make zucchini cakes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell