Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 225302 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2012, 04:16:27 pm »
No zucchini????  Man, zucchini on the grill is one of my favorite things to eat.
Yeah, we love zukes.  Grilled is awesome, but I even like to grate it and mix it in with taco meat.

I like to mix 'em with egg, onion, bread crumbs, whatever and make zucchini cakes.
mmmmmmmmm :)

Going to be growing Zukes for the first time this year. Anyone have any tips? Do they grow like cucumbers or do they sprawl out further like winter squash? Do tomato cages work well for them? Don't know the exact variety of seeds I have, but it's one of the typical straight green varieties from Burpee.
Pick them young, the fruit grow fast!

The ones we grow are like other squash, sprawling all over.  I've never tried them with tomato cages, but I'm not sure it would work.  They grow on the ground, not up on a structure - which isn't to say they won't, but it doesn't seem to be their inclination.  Maybe someone else has tried it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2012, 08:29:19 am »
Going to be growing Zukes for the first time this year. Anyone have any tips? Do they grow like cucumbers or do they sprawl out further like winter squash? Do tomato cages work well for them? Don't know the exact variety of seeds I have, but it's one of the typical straight green varieties from Burpee.

Main thing to know about growing Zukes is to not overdo it.  If you plant a whole row of them, you'll have enough Zukes to feed an army..
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2012, 11:32:51 am »
If zucchini is anything like cukes you won't need more than two plants to be overwhelmed.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2012, 03:56:42 pm »
I grow mirlitons.  They grow on my fences like weeds.  Sliced, battered and fried - they ROCK!

You probably know them as chayote, euge.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:32:27 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2012, 06:34:30 pm »
If zucchini is anything like cukes you won't need more than two plants to be overwhelmed.

Well, I eat at least a whole cuke a day myself when I have them fresh from the garden. 2 plants doesn't quite cut it at my house, but I get where you're coming from there. I've heard that zucchinis are insanely prolific, so I'll probably keep it to 3 plants each planted a week or two apart.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2012, 09:56:23 pm »
I got onions (white and red), leeks and mustard greens in. My tomatoes are nearly ready to transplant into the ground.

Will triple the size of my growing area this week. Will also have 6 yards of garden soil delivered on Thursday.

Then it will be chiles and cucumbers. Might try some zucchini squash.

Cheaper to buy beans than grow them. Pics will follow.

Not cheaper to buy beans if you love the tiny French filet variety like we do. Blanched al dente and dressed with some shallot, balsamic vinaigrette while still warm...mm, mmm, mmm. So wonderful on a salad plate.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2012, 10:00:53 pm »
No zucchini????  Man, zucchini on the grill is one of my favorite things to eat.
Yeah, we love zukes.  Grilled is awesome, but I even like to grate it and mix it in with taco meat.

If you make the mistake of planting too many Zuc's like we did, you can sneak over to your neighbor's at night and just leave them on the doorstep. Or......pick the blossoms and stuff them.....Or......dip the blossoms in batter and deep fry them. They are delicious. Picking the blossoms and eating them this way is not only a decadent gourmet delight, but it keeps you from having too many fruits mature.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2012, 10:49:13 pm »
If you go with a Zucchini, you could go with one that doesn't need polination (perfect pick) you should be fine with 2 plants 3 would be plenty, don't let them grow longer than yourself. Don't let the neighbors see you checking them! They start upwards but begin to sprawl, 6-8 foot square you should be good.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2012, 12:44:59 pm »
About a month ago, I received a packet of Trinidad Scorpion Butch T Strain chile seeds from this
outfit:http://www.thehippyseedcompany.com/.  I have no intention of ever eating these chiles myself, but for some of my more daring friends, I will provide! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy-KZ1XuxpY&feature=player_embedded 

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2012, 07:46:57 pm »
About a month ago, I received a packet of Trinidad Scorpion Butch T Strain chile seeds from this
outfit:http://www.thehippyseedcompany.com/.  I have no intention of ever eating these chiles myself, but for some of my more daring friends, I will provide! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy-KZ1XuxpY&feature=player_embedded

Send 'em my way! I love eating really hot peppers. I remember when I was 16 or so, and some coworkers brought in some habaneros, and all the guys ate them to see who could handle it. I was a bit more like the gentleman in the video, talking about the flavor, and how wonderful the heat was, but everyone else was huddled around the water color. To be fair to them, I was indeed in a lot of pain (I don't know what variety they were), but they were also very tasty. FWIW, I think habaneros taste much better than other hot peppers, and they are also quite lovely to grow.
Kyle M.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2012, 08:24:36 pm »
At the end of Summer/harvest, I'll post again.  Remind me then.  Maybe you could post a video of yourself eating one!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2012, 12:49:04 am »
That would be awesome :)

I love hot peppers too - I've got some bhut jolokia going, but I would never try to eat one like this guy did.  If I ever get fruit I'll send some to anyone who promises to post a video of themselves eating one :)

I ate some really hot wings recently - apparently made with habeneros.  Usually my face starts to sweat, forehead, under my eyes, that kind of thing.  This time the tears just started rolling down my face but I didn't sweat much at all.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2012, 02:17:13 am »
Just wanted to share the latest news - the jalapenos, poblanos, cali golden bell peppers and san marzano tomatoes have gone gangbusters and went from just having the two seedling leaves to 6-8 regular leaves in about four days. A GroLamp for 14 hours a day will do wonders, it seems. I've transplanted the tomatoes and jalapenos into 2" x 4" peat pots and will be breaking them in outside starting in a few days. I've already planted bloody butcher corn and Crimson Sweet Watermelon in their place, and I'll have the kale in soon after that, along with squash etc.

I think next year I will raise the lamp up a bit to spread the light around, and double the size of my container. It's really nice having these in the 'guest bedroom' (aka junk room) right now, because I can take care of the plants after I put the kids to bed.

I would love any suggestions you guys have for my poblanos once they're out and producing... I know I can do stuffed poblanos with chorizo and queso but other than that?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2012, 04:31:49 am »
Anybody grow pumpkins?

I started some seedlings and will try again this year.  Last year I had a tough go with them, but when at first I don't succeed...try...try...again.  8)
Ron Price

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2012, 07:08:34 am »
Anybody grow pumpkins?

I started some seedlings and will try again this year.  Last year I had a tough go with them, but when at first I don't succeed...try...try...again.  8)

Give them a LOT of room. They will take over your whole garden if you let them. I was set to have a pretty nice crop of them last year, but I got hit with squash beetles (which in turn brought a fungal infection) real bad so they never made it past august where they were mostly bowling ball size.

I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to try for one giant pumpkin this year or several jack-o-lantern sized ones.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer