Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 223502 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 06:14:43 am »
Euge, them poblanos still ain't sprouting. Any tricks you can recommend? Should I just drop the whole packet's worth and hope for the best? I've been doing a couple seeds at a time in a wet paper towel in a plastic bag but nothing doing...
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 06:20:51 am »
Euge, them poblanos still ain't sprouting. Any tricks you can recommend? Should I just drop the whole packet's worth and hope for the best? I've been doing a couple seeds at a time in a wet paper towel in a plastic bag but nothing doing...

If they haven't sprouted in the wet paper towel, they may just be bad seeds. However, of all the seeds I plant, peppers are the slowest, with the exception of some herbs. I'd give them at least a week to 10 days.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 06:54:27 am »
I planted seeds about a month ago. I have already transplanted tomatoes to new containers and am working on the peppers. Going to be a good year for peppers!
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 07:00:21 am »

If they haven't sprouted in the wet paper towel, they may just be bad seeds. However, of all the seeds I plant, peppers are the slowest, with the exception of some herbs. I'd give them at least a week to 10 days.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's just bad luck. Wife says up to 50% of seeds in a packet can be non-viable. I've found this site:  http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com and they ship to France, so I ordered a bunch of stuff, including some coffee tree seeds. I have a grow light (that I use for LEGAL purposes thankyouverymuchofficer) that should be able to help them out no problem.

Puna, if you're reading this, PM me, I've got a q for you about certain chemical processes involving corn.
----

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 07:06:23 am »
Just started my first set of seeds this past weekend (cabbage, broccoli, celery and trying kohlrabi for the first time this year). Garlic I planted in the fall is all starting to pop up now.

Going to rototill and lay out my beds this weekend (as long as the weather holds out). I'm bummed that the vetch and oats I planted this fall didn't take where I was planning on expanding the garden, but I guess ill just till in some topsoil and compost and hope for the best.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 07:34:44 am »
re: blueberries in this kind of thing - I was told by a master gardener that the blueberries we planted around a ground out stump were getting too many nutrients from the decaying wood and that's why they were poor at fruiting and why they sent up huge shoots.  He hadn't seen them though, so who knows if he was right.  I followed his advice (added peat moss and did not fertilize) and got better fruit the next year, but it was an uncontrolled experiment so it may have been fine if I hadn't changed what I was doing.

Best thing I ever did for our blueberries is to get the soil pH down, way down.  Original had them in beds along the foundation and just being that close to the concrete must have been keeping the pH too high.  Transplanted to raised beds away from the house and acidified the heck out of the soil and we got bumper crops.  Most ends up eaten by the birds, though :(
Joe

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 08:26:10 am »
re: blueberries in this kind of thing - I was told by a master gardener that the blueberries we planted around a ground out stump were getting too many nutrients from the decaying wood and that's why they were poor at fruiting and why they sent up huge shoots.  He hadn't seen them though, so who knows if he was right.  I followed his advice (added peat moss and did not fertilize) and got better fruit the next year, but it was an uncontrolled experiment so it may have been fine if I hadn't changed what I was doing.

Best thing I ever did for our blueberries is to get the soil pH down, way down.  Original had them in beds along the foundation and just being that close to the concrete must have been keeping the pH too high.  Transplanted to raised beds away from the house and acidified the heck out of the soil and we got bumper crops.  Most ends up eaten by the birds, though :(

yeah I have begun to segregate my compost and put all the coffee grounds on the future blue berry hill. stripped the old christmas tree down and put the bits and pieces on the hill as well. I will add some peat moss when I plant them as well.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 09:14:31 am »
I'm digging up a 20'x10' area of lawn to expand the garden this year. Starting that work today actually. I need to get some seeds started too, but haven't decided what quite yet.
Mark Gres

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 10:25:37 am »
How warm are you keeping them?  Try to get them up to a pretty constant 85F, and it may take 2-4 weeks (and sometimes up to 6) for them to sprout.  It really depends on the pepper variety and quality of the seeds.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 11:44:11 am »
How warm are you keeping them?  Try to get them up to a pretty constant 85F, and it may take 2-4 weeks (and sometimes up to 6) for them to sprout.  It really depends on the pepper variety and quality of the seeds.

Yep, I've always had fits trying to get any kind of pepper seeds to start.  Warm 'em up
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 12:03:15 pm »

Yep, I've always had fits trying to get any kind of pepper seeds to start.  Warm 'em up

I put my seeds in little peat pots with coir and seal them up in a plastic container. Then it goes in a warm place- like the top of the TV.

Chiles take a long time to sprout. It certainly is possible that the seeds are duds- I didn't dry the pods for the poblano's so who knows what temps they were exposed to. If you'd like I can send you some more seeds from fresh pods.

Conversely, my tomatoes sprout in a couple days in a warm container.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 12:05:17 pm »

Yep, 'maters are a piece of cake
Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 12:30:28 pm »

Yep, 'maters are a piece of cake

I planted most of my seeds over a week ago and have cucumbers about an inch high so far. It's amazing how fast they sprout.
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 01:50:12 pm »
Nah, no worries Euge, I found a shop that'll ship to me, so we're set. I got the following:

1 #508 - Jalapeno Pepper - Capsicum annuum
       1 #2250 - Poblano L Pepper - Capsicum annuum
       1 #2734 - California Wonder Pepper, Golden - Capsicum annuum
       1 #150 - Coffea arabica - Coffee
       1 #2364 - San Marzano 2 Tomato - Solanum lycopersicum
       1 #1131 - Bloody Butcher Corn - Zea mays
       1 #1932 - Kleckly's Sweet Watermelon - Citrullus lanatus
       1 #2627 - Perpetual Swiss Chard - Beta vulgaris
----

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 02:12:18 pm »
There is one thing I forgot to get...and that's Poblano pepper seeds. It's not too late to get them started. I'll be on the lookout for some seeds.
Ron Price