Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 223924 times)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2012, 10:27:57 pm »
Zucchini has always been feast or famine in my gardens.  I've planted 6 hills and harvested no fruit and I've planted one hill and had more than I could give away and everything in between the 2 extremes.  They are also elusive little devils, you can swear you've looked under every leaf, everyday and still find one two feet long and 6 inches in diameter.   :o

Paul
 If you have no polinators, go with a zucc that doesn't need a polinator the most popular one I know is called Perfect Pick, you get them with out polination. Cheaper than getting bees. Trust me about this. ;)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2012, 11:41:06 am »
My onions are about ready as some tops are beginning to fall over. I'm picking these but am wondering if I should continue to water the entire crop? It hasn't rained in quite a while and I've been watering them about every other day.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2012, 02:34:06 pm »
Wow...harvesting onions?   8)

Here, the ones that came up from last year are sending flowers. ???

I planted some things this weekend.  Tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli, leeks, cukes, couple melon plants.
The garden is fresh and beautiful this time of year.

Anybody grow bok-choy?

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2012, 05:38:16 pm »
It was 26 Deg. f this morning. I cannot really plant till the last few days of may if the forecase
is favorable....otherwise, its June.....grrrrrr....got a couple snow peas coming up they will be ok
and some tiny lettuce trying to survive....I will start some stuff indoors in the next couple weeks.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2012, 06:39:39 am »
heh, whyomin.  but summer is coming early this year.

"feels like" 32 degreesF here this morning, but the sun is going to be strong.
Looks like the tomatoes did fine.

Cheers.

Offline 1vertical

• Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2012, 06:59:14 am »
Well mebbe so but that temp was at 24 degrees with frost this mornin.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2012, 10:24:08 am »
Wow...harvesting onions?   8)

Here, the ones that came up from last year are sending flowers. ???

I planted some things this weekend.  Tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli, leeks, cukes, couple melon plants.
The garden is fresh and beautiful this time of year.

Anybody grow bok-choy?

We are trying bok choy for the first time this year.  Just put them in a few weeks ago, they seem to be doing fine.

This year we ended up with asian radishes, spicy mesclun mix, spinach, green, wax, and purple beans, beets, lemon peepers, jalapenos, red, orange, green, and yellow bells, poblanos, black crim, early girl, Arkansas traveler, cherry, sammich mater, black beauty and Italian eggplant, spaghetti squash, okra, corn and peas.  We've been eating asparagus for about five weeks now.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2012, 05:46:36 pm »
Dang, nice work redbeerman!  Did you plant bok-choy from seed?  Mine have taken a ton of time germinating.  I hear they like cool weather.

sammich mater is my new favorite term.  I am going to try an use that in a conversation soon. ;D
but I don't think "go make me a sammich" is going to be in the mix.

My garlic has 9 leaves already.  I am thinking it might be scape season early this year.

Cheers.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2012, 11:08:37 am »
Dang, nice work redbeerman!  Did you plant bok-choy from seed?  Mine have taken a ton of time germinating.  I hear they like cool weather.

sammich mater is my new favorite term.  I am going to try an use that in a conversation soon. ;D
but I don't think "go make me a sammich" is going to be in the mix.

My garlic has 9 leaves already.  I am thinking it might be scape season early this year.

Cheers.

We got the bok choy as plants from one of our local greenhouses.  These folks have all kinds of neat stuff, from annuals to trees and everthing in-between.  Started some green onions from seed last week.  We'll see how they do.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:10:42 am by redbeerman »
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2012, 08:33:07 pm »
Had the first few strawberries today!   Looking forward to those.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2012, 06:47:50 am »
I planted Tomatoes last week. I think I messed with them too much because they're in shock. I've never had plants go into shock like this before. Is there anything I need to do to help or do I just keep on going and hope they pull through?
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2012, 08:16:16 am »
I planted Tomatoes last week. I think I messed with them too much because they're in shock. I've never had plants go into shock like this before. Is there anything I need to do to help or do I just keep on going and hope they pull through?

Wow still in shock? Did you mess with the roots or not water them directly after transplanting?

Did you go into a radically different soil. Or, did you harden them off before transplanting? They are tough plants but even I lost one this year after transplanting too deep.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2012, 08:35:27 am »
Zucchini has always been feast or famine in my gardens.  I've planted 6 hills and harvested no fruit and I've planted one hill and had more than I could give away and everything in between the 2 extremes.  They are also elusive little devils, you can swear you've looked under every leaf, everyday and still find one two feet long and 6 inches in diameter.   :o

Paul
 If you have no polinators, go with a zucc that doesn't need a polinator the most popular one I know is called Perfect Pick, you get them with out polination. Cheaper than getting bees. Trust me about this. ;)

Thanks for the advice on pollinators.

Sadly, it's all mute now since we gave up on the garden two years ago and planted a shed instead.  8^)  Our yard doesn't get any sun anywhere on our current property so we finally just gave up planting one.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2012, 08:41:42 am »
We munched our first 4 artichokes the other night. with melted butter and grapefruit (we were out of lemons). They were small and some of the stems were a little bitter but there is something magical about eating artichokes you grew your self.

still got to get the last of the tomatoes transplanted.

corn is sprouted and we are ready to plant our beans in with them. then squash a week or two later. vacation is coming up in just over a week so lots of time to putter in the garden.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #179 on: May 17, 2012, 09:41:18 am »
My backyard is a mosquito infested swamp. The subpump broke while I was out of town and evidently there was a tremendous thunderstorm. I have a backup draining it now but eewee! It stinks back there.

The onions are still ok in their raised beds. They'll get pulled in a few days I think.