Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 223493 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 02:49:44 pm »
I'm trying some Mucho Nacho jalapenos this year. It's a hybrid monster perfect for stuffed peppers. I also saved seeds from some good sized peppers I bought at the supermarket, but I don't know if they are hybrids or not. They germinated just fine.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 02:58:41 pm »
I'm trying some Mucho Nacho jalapenos this year. It's a hybrid monster perfect for stuffed peppers. I also saved seeds from some good sized peppers I bought at the supermarket, but I don't know if they are hybrids or not. They germinated just fine.

they are probably hybrids but hey, what's the worst case scenerio? you end up with unappatizeing peppers (well I guess the WORST case is that monsanto sends a PI to your garden and sues you for theft of intellectual property but that's not likely). best case scenerio you find some amazing stabile variety and get famous selling it!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 03:01:58 pm »

I planted some Mucho Nacho's a couple of years ago, and thought it was a great pepper. You have the right idea to use those as stuffed peppers, one of my favorites to put on the grill!
Kyle M.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 03:19:06 pm »

they are probably hybrids but hey, what's the worst case scenerio? you end up with unappatizeing peppers (well I guess the WORST case is that monsanto sends a PI to your garden and sues you for theft of intellectual property but that's not likely). best case scenerio you find some amazing stabile variety and get famous selling it!

After reading about what Monsanto does to farmers and others, I'll do my best to never buy their products again and I happen to like Roundup.

If they are hybrids, I think I'll just end up getting a small jalapeno, but I may get nothing at all. They'll be well marked in the garden. It's cheap fun. I bought Mucho Nacho seeds, so that's my back-up.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 03:52:26 pm »

After reading about what Monsanto does to farmers and others, I'll do my best to never buy their products again and I happen to like Roundup.

If they are hybrids, I think I'll just end up getting a small jalapeno, but I may get nothing at all. They'll be well marked in the garden. It's cheap fun. I bought Mucho Nacho seeds, so that's my back-up.

Yup monsanto is the devil.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 09:19:31 am »
Well I started a good  asparagus bed last year and they may
produce this year because they were 3 y.o. crowns. But may
let them be just to get good and established. 
The rest of it is prolly still 60 days away we have frost danger
until 1st of june.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 03:04:11 pm »
 8).  Wow, I am impressed most of you folks start your seeds.

I am a bit lame in that arena still.  Other than stuff that sprouts in place, I buy plants at the local greenhouse.  Maybe because my garden tends on the small side, and I cannot use a whole packet of certain seeds.  Like, I might plant one sungold cherry tomato, a couple of brandywine, 4 poblano and 4 jalapeno, etc.  I guess the greenhouse has a good selection, but probably more $pendy. ::)

I have been screening and packing compost.  Trimmed back the raspberries, planted some spinach, lettuce and cilantro.  Garlic just came up this week.

So onions.  I want to get onions right this year, and be able to stick a bunch away for use all winter.
My success with them in the past has been spotty, which seems odd to me because they seem simple enough.
I start with the little bulbs; is that what most of you do?  Most come up, but a lot went to flower right off the bat last year, which looks cool but does not make a large, storable onion.  Any thoughts on that?

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 03:26:33 pm »
Good fertilizer will help your onions develop, but I've had the same problem in that they turn out too small.

Once you get started with a good insulated, heated seed bed, grow light, etc., you can save a bunch of money. It's actually one of my favorite parts of gardening.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 03:36:21 pm »
8).  Wow, I am impressed most of you folks start your seeds.

I am a bit lame in that arena still.  Other than stuff that sprouts in place, I buy plants at the local greenhouse.  Maybe because my garden tends on the small side, and I cannot use a whole packet of certain seeds.  Like, I might plant one sungold cherry tomato, a couple of brandywine, 4 poblano and 4 jalapeno, etc.  I guess the greenhouse has a good selection, but probably more $pendy. ::)

I have been screening and packing compost.  Trimmed back the raspberries, planted some spinach, lettuce and cilantro.  Garlic just came up this week.

So onions.  I want to get onions right this year, and be able to stick a bunch away for use all winter.
My success with them in the past has been spotty, which seems odd to me because they seem simple enough.
I start with the little bulbs; is that what most of you do?  Most come up, but a lot went to flower right off the bat last year, which looks cool but does not make a large, storable onion.  Any thoughts on that?

for storage purposes it's a good idea to start onions from seed. They store better than way and are less likely to bolt on you.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 07:06:21 pm »
I started my onions from sets this year. Next year I will do my own and separate them come planting time.

Aren't onions cool a weather crop? And my understanding is that they are heavy feeders and drinkers.

Anyway hope mine turn out as they are what I use the most.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 07:10:45 pm »
Nice euge!

I bought some asparagas root, horseradish root, and shallots today. I'm expanding the garden by 30% this year. I need to remove sod and backfill with some premium topsoil and mushroom soil blend. Looks like my work is going to be cut out for me in the coming weeks.

We should definitely include photos for our viewing pleasure.  8)
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2012, 07:33:24 pm »
I started my onions from sets this year. Next year I will do my own and separate them come planting time.

Aren't onions cool a weather crop? And my understanding is that they are heavy feeders and drinkers.

Anyway hope mine turn out as they are what I use the most.

We plant onions in the fall to overwinter and again in the spring for fall harvest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 07:45:47 pm »
Sort of off topic but. . .

I homebrew, make my own BBQ, raise a garden, preserve food, etc.  I used to think that was out of the ordinary but the more homebrewers I meet. . .

It seems to be more of a "If I want it right, I'll do it myself" mentality than a strictly beer mentality.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2012, 08:14:34 pm »
Here are pics of phase one and two:

Need to get some dirt delivered tomorrow or by Sunday the latest! Also, I need to set up some sort of drip system.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:12:30 pm by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 08:50:56 pm »
The big thing with onions IMO is to make sure you weed them like mad. They really don't do well with competition from weeds. I planted from sets last year and they stored just fine, but I couldn't keep up on the weeding as well as I would have liked and a lot of them were smaller than I had hoped. This year I preordered some bunches of starter onions so I'll see how they do compared to the sets.

Up here in New England I plant my onions around last frost (late April) and harvest in early fall.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer