Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 223488 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #390 on: November 09, 2012, 10:47:38 pm »
oaxacan green dent corn. destined for tamales

a couple ears had suspiciously large numbers of yellow kernels but what are you going to do.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #391 on: November 11, 2012, 08:03:31 am »
a couple ears had suspiciously large numbers of yellow kernels but what are you going to do.

Damn Monsanto bastards...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #392 on: November 20, 2012, 01:42:09 pm »
oaxacan green dent corn. destined for tamales

And the final product

Black beans, sweet potato and avacado on homegrown green corn tortilla's

Made the masa according to Alton Browns instructions. I probably should have boiled a bit longer as the kernals were still really dry in the middle. it worked out in the end though, just had to add a little more water to get it to move in the food processor and then had to add a little whole wheat flour to soak up the extra water. they were really good, texture was firm but still a bit tender. flavour was fresh and complex. not just 'corn' but more complimentary flavours.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #393 on: November 20, 2012, 04:36:00 pm »
My "Better Boys". Some big ones too. There's a lot more on the vine than can be seen here. Can't wait to start eating them!

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #394 on: November 20, 2012, 04:38:09 pm »
Careful, as soon as they start showing some ripe color the birds will star pecking at them.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #395 on: November 20, 2012, 05:36:40 pm »
Those green ones make great relish.
Good fried too. Especially with a fried slice in a biscuit with a piece of fatback.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #396 on: November 20, 2012, 05:55:32 pm »
Those green ones make great relish.
Good fried too. Especially with a fried slice in a biscuit with a piece of fatback.

Love Fried Green Tomatoes.  I like to top my fried green tomatoes w/ sauteed garlic butter shrimp and remoulade (although on a biscuit w/ fatback sounds good too!).  Wish ya lived close Euge as I would be happy to take some of those off your hands. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #397 on: November 20, 2012, 05:59:28 pm »
Careful, as soon as they start showing some ripe color the birds will star pecking at them.

As soon as I see a hint of them changing color it's picking time! The Grackles will get them if I don't! The tomatoes do just fine ripening on the counter or in a bowl.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #398 on: November 21, 2012, 06:00:02 am »

As soon as I see a hint of them changing color it's picking time! The Grackles will get them if I don't! The tomatoes do just fine ripening on the counter or in a bowl.

Can't do that here, the fruit flies would have a field day!  Season's well past over here anyway.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline andrew

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lake Charles / Sweet Lake, LA
« Reply #399 on: December 15, 2012, 02:45:38 am »
Had my first freeze of the season with 29 Degrees at my place this past Thursday morning which killed off my last few summer/warm season holdovers in the garden. Dug up about 50 pounds of red potatoes since the plants were toast and composted the tomatoes and basil.

After tending to that picked a few things to make a salad for lunch...

Not exactly gardening but it grows on my yard... Frog legs anyone? or some pot roasted duck?

Andrew Tingler

In bottles or on tap: porter, quad, and wit
Secondary: empty
Primary: empty
On Deck: Blackberry Stout and Irish Red

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #400 on: December 15, 2012, 07:49:48 am »
We had three nights of freezing temps. I covered my two tomato plants with three sheets and lit a fire right next to the raised bed each night before going to bed. My neighbor just covered his. They died. Mine survived virtually unscathed and even popped out a few flowers. ;

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #401 on: December 15, 2012, 10:14:11 am »
Not exactly gardening but it grows on my yard... Frog legs anyone? or some pot roasted duck?

I like turtles AND frogs AND ducks
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:07:52 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #402 on: December 15, 2012, 12:39:36 pm »
We had three nights of freezing temps. I covered my two tomato plants with three sheets and lit a fire right next to the raised bed each night before going to bed. My neighbor just covered his. They died. Mine survived virtually unscathed and even popped out a few flowers. ;
That's hilarious, I don't think we've had three nights of freezing temps this fall.  Although it is snowing right now, at 35.6F.  First snow of the season.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline andrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #403 on: December 15, 2012, 11:55:23 pm »

I didnt cover mine so I may have been able to prevent their death too, but they looked rough anyway and were past their prime. Looks like you may have to cover again by the end of the week with freezing temps possible in Central TX Fri morning.
Andrew Tingler

Offline andrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #404 on: December 16, 2012, 12:01:13 am »

I like turtles AND frogs AND ducks

I have plenty of turtles too. I had one lay in the garden in the spring and I transplanted the eggs into a bucket so my tilling or weeding or a passing critter wouldnt kill them. They hatched in mid August and me and the kiddo let them go after a couple of weeks in a bayou.

Andrew Tingler