Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 223485 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #405 on: December 20, 2012, 07:01:30 pm »
After tending to that picked a few things to make a salad for lunch...

WOW/.

Very beautiful. 

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #406 on: March 12, 2013, 05:57:36 am »
Anybody care to take on another year in the growing food thread?

Pretty cold yet here, but the garden is now snow free and I am starting to dream.
Still have some leeks in the ground.  Should lift those and see how they wintered.

Anything new planned?  Seeds started?
Shoot... Andrew is probably already eating corn. ;)

I have been wondering if I can keep planting potatoes in the same spot year after year.
Do you folks rotate certain crops around?

Cheers to spring!

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #407 on: March 12, 2013, 06:45:15 am »
Started cleaning it out last weekend.  Looking forward to the asparagus coming up in a few weeks.  Will probably put the cold weather seed and plants down the second week of April.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #408 on: March 12, 2013, 06:55:28 am »
I've had tomatoes and chiles in the ground for at least three weeks. Have onions garlic and broccoli in. Well the broccoli has been mostly harvested but the leaves are delicious.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #409 on: March 12, 2013, 07:01:15 am »
I have been wondering if I can keep planting potatoes in the same spot year after year.
Do you folks rotate certain crops around?

I rotate everything each year.  Got four raised beds of which I plant three every season and leave one fallow.  Next season, shift everything one bed over.  Lather, rinse, repeat.
Joe

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #410 on: March 12, 2013, 07:30:35 am »
we finally got rid of this annoying yucca, and last weekend I started framing out a 6x3x5 chicken coop. We also got some more lavender to plant on the last side of the deck that doesn't have anything growing. Other than that it'll be a while before we can really start growing anything - it's gonna be cold and rainy for another month or two.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #411 on: March 12, 2013, 07:38:26 am »
I went to the local farm market last Saturday to pick up some seed potatoes. I got Yukon Gold variety. I also want to get some horseradish root and shallots, but they weren't in yet. They said they should have been in by now, but for some reason they haven't arrived as of yet. I'll give them a call this weekend.
Ron Price

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #412 on: March 12, 2013, 07:41:36 am »
I just started seeds this last weekend. Won't go in the ground until mid-late May. Did the standard tomatoes, Roma, Beefsteak. I also did a gold medal tomato that I love. Also peppers and I'll get some potatoes when the nursery opens. I'm also going to plant beans and carrots and cucumbers.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #413 on: March 12, 2013, 08:16:41 am »
The peas are doing well. Brocolli and other mustards are all pretty much got to seed but there are stil a few lose florets here and there. Artichokes are starting to think about growing.

tons of calendula and other scattered stuff popping up from last years seeds as well as a couple of potatoes that overwintered.

Onions are big and green but no real bulbs to speak of. that bed isn't quite soft enough yet and it's been kind of a dry spring so far.

the tree collard is taking off, I think we can start eating off of that now so that's cool.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tree+collard&id=A88A8153AB79309008B736B1E1B74F8964F95A67&FORM=IQFRBA#

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 1vertical

• Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #414 on: March 12, 2013, 08:38:16 am »
Pinnah, methinks potatoes year after year in same spot would be asking for troubles.
I tried them one year and found my soil contaminated with the potato wart fungus
we got a few taters and then the fungus got the rest.  Now I do not believe I can
grow them at all without a problem.  You could However, ammend the soil with fresh
organic material and perhaps be good to go....

Had discussions with a family whose daughter in Indiana came up with parasites from
eating the garden food they had grown in rich organics....washie washie washie in the
new blue cheer....

OTOH, I am looking forward to my 1st year of the harvestable asparagus bed....oh yeah!!! ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:53:03 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #415 on: March 12, 2013, 10:10:24 am »
We haven't started planning yet, unless my wife planted peas while I was gone this weekend.  We've got some potted ghost peppers I tried to overwinter in the garage, we'll see how they did.  I'm sure we'll plant the usual, peppers, onions, tomatoes, corn (which never grows well enough, but the kids like to plant), squash, green beans, etc.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #416 on: March 12, 2013, 10:25:08 am »
I have the weekend off, so I'm hoping the snow will be melted in the garden by then. I still haven't planned everything out, but I know where the peas are going to go and I can work the rest out later.

I've given up on starting seeds indoors. I don't have any south-facing windows in my house, and my work schedule doesn't really allow for me to harden-off seedlings properly anyways. My success rate from seedlings has been abyssmal since I started the garden. I'm going to stick to buying plants at the local garden shops, as well as veggies that I can direct-sow. I might experiment with fabric to raise the soil temps this year for certain plants as well. Especially since I finally found a small canteloupe that will mature early enough for my garden.

My son turns 3 in June, so I'm going to build him a 4x4 raised bed to use as his own garden. He's already pretty excited. Any time someone starts talking about spring he says "I plant flowers in the garden in the spring". This should be a fun year for him.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #417 on: March 12, 2013, 01:01:33 pm »
I also want to get some horseradish root and shallots, but they weren't in yet. They said they should have been in by now, but for some reason they haven't arrived as of yet. I'll give them a call this weekend.

Make sure you contain that horseradish - invasive as crap
Joe

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #418 on: March 12, 2013, 01:09:12 pm »
I also want to get some horseradish root and shallots, but they weren't in yet. They said they should have been in by now, but for some reason they haven't arrived as of yet. I'll give them a call this weekend.

Make sure you contain that horseradish - invasive as crap

Once it's established it can really take over.  My Mom's garden was fine example of that.  We would dig bushels of roots every year and could still barely keep up.  I'm hoping to finally be able to harvest some decent roots this year after having had to move the hill for the third time, 3 years ago.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #419 on: March 12, 2013, 03:42:07 pm »
I'm building a hoop house this year from PVC pipe.  I'm looking forward to kale, spinach, brussel sprouts this spring and more in the late fall from the hoop house.  I may keep rosemary and other perennial herbs year round in the hoop house.  I will plant leeks in a trench this year (didn't do a trench last year so I got almost no white parts) and Numex chilis.  Also I'm looking to improve my rain barrel irrigation system for the hops and the rest of the garden.