Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 223477 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #450 on: April 12, 2013, 11:36:04 am »
Asparagus are just starting to peek through the ground. 

My asparagus (1yr old) is up and raring to go.  :)

We are ready to start the harvest this weekend.  Enjoy, Ron.  How many crowns did you end up putting in?

I think it was about 10.
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #451 on: April 15, 2013, 10:31:35 am »
Peas, lettuces, and spinach are in.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #452 on: April 15, 2013, 10:38:22 am »
I just added a 200 s.f. section to my existing garden, making room for onions, garlic, strawberries and maybe some peas. I also plan to add some mushroom soil to the ground for nutrient replenishment. Looks like I have a busy weekend ahead of me.
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #453 on: April 16, 2013, 05:34:03 am »
I just added a 200 s.f. section to my existing garden, making room for onions, garlic, strawberries and maybe some peas. I also plan to add some mushroom soil to the ground for nutrient replenishment. Looks like I have a busy weekend ahead of me.

I'll bet you do!  I'm going to try to brew this weekend.  The garden is done for the next few weeks except for picking asparagus.  Will be putting in the next round of veggies the first week of May.  Unless I get a wild hair and decide to put in some cabbage.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #454 on: April 16, 2013, 05:16:45 pm »
That's a nice increase Ron. Are you trying to supply all of your own veg like me? I'm eying several more spots in the backyard and even the front might not be exempt.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #455 on: April 28, 2013, 10:02:42 pm »
+ ungabagady on the mushroom compost!  It was the primary component
of my contrived soil mixture for the raised garden. You will love it.
I also added sand and bags of potting soil and some floorsweep (clay).
The attempt to keep the garden soil seperated from the field bind weed
has been a profound success and the reason for building the raised garden.
We are challenged with frost until june....at this time I am going to plant
some Snow Peas maybe a few carrots.  Wait wait wait wait....june....plant squash
and other frost intolerant short season plants.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #456 on: May 06, 2013, 05:55:03 am »
This years garden is in.  Here's what we have: Zucchini, yellow squash (crook neck), okra, kohlrabi, wax beans, green beans, tomatoes (4 kinds), anchos, jalapenos, hot long red roasting peppers, eggplant, kale, red cabbage, red chard, beets, peas, garlic, onions, lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, asparagus (going on 8 years).  Herbs: basil, lavender, dill, rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, bay leaf (okay, technically it's a tree).

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #457 on: May 06, 2013, 07:02:02 am »
Got the first wave in over the past few days. Built a 3x9 raised bed for my 2-year old's own garden and planted some carrots, marigolds and nasturtiums. Also got my first wave of veggies in - peas, a few short rows of root veggies (radish, carrot, beet & parsnip), some beans, corn and 2 hills of zucchini to get them started. Hoping to finish the beans and root veggies over the next week or two, then soybeans, cukes, tomatoes and peppers are up next.

As usual, I think I'm going to run out of space. No clue where pumpkins and melons are going to go. I might have to plant them in the middle of the peas and hope the peas finish up by the time the pumpkins and melons get too big.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #458 on: May 07, 2013, 10:43:56 am »
This years garden is in.  Here's what we have: Zucchini, yellow squash (crook neck), okra, kohlrabi, wax beans, green beans, tomatoes (4 kinds), anchos, jalapenos, hot long red roasting peppers, eggplant, kale, red cabbage, red chard, beets, peas, garlic, onions, lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, asparagus (going on 8 years).  Herbs: basil, lavender, dill, rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, bay leaf (okay, technically it's a tree).

Nice work Jim...I'm planning to plant tomatoes, assorted peppers, squash, zhuchini, cukes, etc... this weekend.

I also added 6 yards of enriched/screened topsoil to my gardens a couple weeks ago...so I'm anticipating a good crop this year. That's the hope anyway.
Ron Price

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #459 on: May 07, 2013, 08:34:32 pm »
I also added 6 yards of enriched/screened topsoil to my gardens a couple weeks ago...so I'm anticipating a good crop this year. That's the hope anyway.

When I decided I was going to get serious about a garden I had a truckload of topsoil/compost mix dropped off. I am so glad I did. My soil is so bad I can barely get weeds to grow in it, but the garden soil is so rich everything grows like crazy (even the weeds, unfortunately).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #460 on: May 07, 2013, 11:23:32 pm »
Got my calabasita seeds...do you hear that EUGE? they are great and you are in primo location
for them....

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #461 on: May 08, 2013, 09:57:27 am »
I should get some then! My attempt at zucchini wasn't very successful last year.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #462 on: May 08, 2013, 12:47:58 pm »
I should get some then! My attempt at zucchini wasn't very successful last year.

a small or non-existent zucchini crop is a blessing to have compared to a normal crop

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #463 on: May 08, 2013, 10:51:29 pm »

Squash Summer Tatuma (Calabacita) HEIRLOOM Seeds
Cucurbita pepo
50 days. This fabulous summer squash may not be well-known, but that is soon to change! With wonderful, creamy texture and buttery flavor, squash lovers will be happily pleased, and even squash skeptics may soon be won over. Also called tatume or calabacita, the Latin word referring to any small cucurbit, this squash is a favorite in Mexico and southern Texas.
 Fruits are best when picked at about 3" long. Vigorous vines to 12 feet thrive in heat, and are more drought toleratant than most squash; practically immune to squash borer insect.

This packet plants 5-6 mounds.
Days to Emerge:
5-10 days

Seed Depth:
1/2"-1”

Seed Spacing:
2-3 seeds
per mound

Mound Spacing:
3’-4'

Thinning:
When several leaves
thin to 2 plants
per mound

When to sow outside: RECOMMENDED. 2 to 4 weeks after average last frost and when soil temperatures have risen above 60° F.

When to start inside: Not recommended except in very short season climates, 2 to 4 weeks before average last frost. Sow in individual pulp pots that can be planted directly in the ground.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #464 on: May 09, 2013, 05:45:38 am »

a small or non-existent zucchini crop is a blessing to have compared to a normal crop

Amen to that, brother! 8)  One plant usually yields enough to feed my whole neighborhood for the whole summer.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim