Other than Brewing > All Things Food

Growing food - The Garden Thread

<< < (92/198) > >>

1vertical:
+ ungabagady on the mushroom compost!  It was the primary component
of my contrived soil mixture for the raised garden. You will love it.
I also added sand and bags of potting soil and some floorsweep (clay).
The attempt to keep the garden soil seperated from the field bind weed
has been a profound success and the reason for building the raised garden.
We are challenged with frost until june....at this time I am going to plant
some Snow Peas maybe a few carrots.  Wait wait wait wait....june....plant squash
and other frost intolerant short season plants.

redbeerman:
This years garden is in.  Here's what we have: Zucchini, yellow squash (crook neck), okra, kohlrabi, wax beans, green beans, tomatoes (4 kinds), anchos, jalapenos, hot long red roasting peppers, eggplant, kale, red cabbage, red chard, beets, peas, garlic, onions, lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, asparagus (going on 8 years).  Herbs: basil, lavender, dill, rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, bay leaf (okay, technically it's a tree).

erockrph:
Got the first wave in over the past few days. Built a 3x9 raised bed for my 2-year old's own garden and planted some carrots, marigolds and nasturtiums. Also got my first wave of veggies in - peas, a few short rows of root veggies (radish, carrot, beet & parsnip), some beans, corn and 2 hills of zucchini to get them started. Hoping to finish the beans and root veggies over the next week or two, then soybeans, cukes, tomatoes and peppers are up next.

As usual, I think I'm going to run out of space. No clue where pumpkins and melons are going to go. I might have to plant them in the middle of the peas and hope the peas finish up by the time the pumpkins and melons get too big.

bluesman:

--- Quote from: redbeerman on May 06, 2013, 04:55:03 AM ---This years garden is in.  Here's what we have: Zucchini, yellow squash (crook neck), okra, kohlrabi, wax beans, green beans, tomatoes (4 kinds), anchos, jalapenos, hot long red roasting peppers, eggplant, kale, red cabbage, red chard, beets, peas, garlic, onions, lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, asparagus (going on 8 years).  Herbs: basil, lavender, dill, rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, bay leaf (okay, technically it's a tree).

--- End quote ---

Nice work Jim...I'm planning to plant tomatoes, assorted peppers, squash, zhuchini, cukes, etc... this weekend.

I also added 6 yards of enriched/screened topsoil to my gardens a couple weeks ago...so I'm anticipating a good crop this year. That's the hope anyway.

erockrph:

--- Quote from: bluesman on May 07, 2013, 09:43:56 AM ---I also added 6 yards of enriched/screened topsoil to my gardens a couple weeks ago...so I'm anticipating a good crop this year. That's the hope anyway.

--- End quote ---

When I decided I was going to get serious about a garden I had a truckload of topsoil/compost mix dropped off. I am so glad I did. My soil is so bad I can barely get weeds to grow in it, but the garden soil is so rich everything grows like crazy (even the weeds, unfortunately).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version