Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 225267 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #600 on: March 03, 2014, 10:32:37 am »
-3F here; might be another day or two.   ;D

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #601 on: March 03, 2014, 10:35:44 am »

perfect time to get those seeds started! isn't that what march is for? looking at seed catalogs, getting your fingers dirty with little trays of soil? hanging out under the full spectrum lamps until the sun decides it will grace you with it's presence for more than 15 minutes each day?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #602 on: March 03, 2014, 10:38:23 am »
Winter storm Titan dropped about 6 inches of frozen debris in our area last night. It'll be a few more weeks before I start planting seeds, but it's time to start planning this years' crop. Seeds are first on the list of things to do. I'm ready for spring!  8)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #603 on: March 03, 2014, 10:41:24 am »
Harvested a bunch of broccoli volunteers. Got red and white sweet onions in. Supposedly as sweet as an apple! Cilantro did squat this year.

My trash can composter is making short work of all the scraps and spent grain I've been putting in there. Tomatoes and maybe beans this spring will benefit.   
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #604 on: March 03, 2014, 10:44:10 am »
Alrighty folks, I put seeds in dirt this weekend so it must be time to revive the garden thread.

What's plannin? what's poppin?

I started two kinds of tomatoes this weekend and put up 100' of chicken wire to keep the ladies out of the garden although they have already helped themselves to a sizable portion of our kale (it's alright, I can't eat that much kale anyway).

Barley is doing well, peas are going nuts. should have rutabagas on the table any day now. artichokes are dressed and thinned (only kept three this year as a bunch went to flower last year when we had 5).

I've got some lettuce, brocolli raab, and parsnips to sow, and some more tomatoes and fish peppers to start.

What's a fish pepper?

I'm going to build a third 4'x8' raised bed this year. That's all I know for sure at the moment.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #605 on: March 03, 2014, 10:45:23 am »
It's been so cold for so long that it's hard to imagine a garden even growing. However, it has been bringing me a lot of comfort to think about the garden lately. So, I'm planning a big spring garden: lots of Kale and lettuce, radishes and beets (just discovered Borscht this year), snow peas, green beans,  and broccoli. Looking forward to trying some new herbs this year if anyone has any recommendations. I always plant a few varieties of thyme and oregano, and some rosemary and lavender. I may move in late July, so will probably put some tomatoes and peppers in containers. I would also like to get better at planning companion plants this.
Kyle M.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #606 on: March 03, 2014, 10:48:03 am »
Alrighty folks, I put seeds in dirt this weekend so it must be time to revive the garden thread.

What's plannin? what's poppin?

I started two kinds of tomatoes this weekend and put up 100' of chicken wire to keep the ladies out of the garden although they have already helped themselves to a sizable portion of our kale (it's alright, I can't eat that much kale anyway).

Barley is doing well, peas are going nuts. should have rutabagas on the table any day now. artichokes are dressed and thinned (only kept three this year as a bunch went to flower last year when we had 5).

I've got some lettuce, brocolli raab, and parsnips to sow, and some more tomatoes and fish peppers to start.

What's a fish pepper?

I'm going to build a third 4'x8' raised bed this year. That's all I know for sure at the moment.

it's new to me. they are apparently an heirloom variety that was traditionally used as a seasoning for sea food. verigated leaves and peppers, medium heat with a smokey quality.

My wife also wants to plant some jalapenos to make jelly with this year.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #607 on: March 03, 2014, 10:50:44 am »

perfect time to get those seeds started! isn't that what march is for? looking at seed catalogs, getting your fingers dirty with little trays of soil? hanging out under the full spectrum lamps until the sun decides it will grace you with it's presence for more than 15 minutes each day?
I usually don't start my seedlings until April.  There's too much of a chance of frost until mid-May.  The past couple years, I've just planted from seed or picked up seedlings at the local nursery.

Oh and by the way.. :P for rubbing it in  ;)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #608 on: March 03, 2014, 10:58:23 am »
Want to add that the leaves off the broccoli are far superior to collards and mustard. My appreciation for greens has deepened. I want to try kale but it may be too hot here.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #609 on: March 03, 2014, 11:03:06 am »
+1 to broccoli rabe. Great stuff.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #610 on: March 03, 2014, 11:18:01 am »
Want to add that the leaves off the broccoli are far superior to collards and mustard. My appreciation for greens has deepened. I want to try kale but it may be too hot here.

mmmm, I love broccoli greens. in fact, growers are allowed by labeling laws to label as 'Collards' greens including UP TO 100% broccoli greens.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #611 on: March 03, 2014, 11:26:47 am »

you're right, of course, but I started Feb28th last year and winter just kept going and going into mid May, so I'm going to wait a little longer.

on a plus side though, I've got some new neighbors so I've got an entire new group who are going to see the glow from my reef tank/grow lights and think I've got a major ganja grow operation going.   ::) 

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #612 on: March 03, 2014, 11:38:01 am »
the grip of this winter has been long cold and brutal....& it ain't over yet
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #613 on: March 03, 2014, 11:45:32 am »

you're right, of course, but I started Feb28th last year and winter just kept going and going into mid May, so I'm going to wait a little longer.

on a plus side though, I've got some new neighbors so I've got an entire new group who are going to see the glow from my reef tank/grow lights and think I've got a major ganja grow operation going.   ::)

Ha!

I used to get regular visits from the police when I lived in Vermont because I had a 600 watt metal halide grow lamp in the front room with veggies under it all winter. They were 'checking up on the neighbors'  ::)
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #614 on: March 03, 2014, 11:53:13 am »

Ha!

I used to get regular visits from the police when I lived in Vermont because I had a 600 watt metal halide grow lamp in the front room with veggies under it all winter. They were 'checking up on the neighbors'  ::)

Funny !  Probably wouldn't help to crank up the Bob Marley tunes during those times.      :)
Jon H.