Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 224997 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #615 on: March 03, 2014, 12:43:15 pm »
Here in the Central Plains you should have started your flowers early last month and be starting the vegie (tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli and such) right now.  According to Rich Joran (ISU Horticulturist) on the Friday Hort-Day call in show.   ;)

I don't have a garden anymore so it's all lost on me.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #616 on: March 03, 2014, 03:54:51 pm »
The troops:

Lot of good eating there still though the florets get a bit fibrous at this stage.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #617 on: March 03, 2014, 04:13:35 pm »
The troops:

Lot of good eating there still though the florets get a bit fibrous at this stage.

yup that's more or less what my broccolies look like. the chickens go nuts for the overgrown florets and flowers though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #618 on: March 03, 2014, 06:37:08 pm »
My only plan is to dramatically increase my hot pepper patch for making hot sauce.  Other than that, no big garden plans for this year (besides the usual corn, tomatoes, etc).  Should be planting something in about 4 months when the 3.5 feet of snow finally melt.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #619 on: March 04, 2014, 07:44:40 am »
Oh yea. I was looking at morticai's green yard and I got a little antsy, so I build a cold frame hot box this weekend.
It is a little overbuilt ::), but hey, I did not have to buy anything to make it.

Seeded in some greens, cilantro, a few carrots and beets chucked in.

I ordered some new potato seed last week.

Thinking of expanding the "orchard"...giving another attempt at hugelculture...and perhaps caving and buying some actual soil.  I should probably try and grow and make that salsa roja they sell in bulk at the store.  Man I can go through that stuff!

Cheers to spring.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #620 on: March 04, 2014, 08:34:01 am »
nice looking cold frame. you're gonna have to open that thing up midday to keep from cooking your seeds!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #621 on: March 04, 2014, 10:32:45 am »
Oh yea. I was looking at morticai's green yard and I got a little antsy, so I build a cold frame hot box this weekend.
It is a little overbuilt ::), but hey, I did not have to buy anything to make it.

Seeded in some greens, cilantro, a few carrots and beets chucked in.

I ordered some new potato seed last week.

Thinking of expanding the "orchard"...giving another attempt at hugelculture...and perhaps caving and buying some actual soil.  I should probably try and grow and make that salsa roja they sell in bulk at the store.  Man I can go through that stuff!

Cheers to spring.

Sweet looking Grow Box!  8)

Another thing now on my list of projects.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #622 on: March 04, 2014, 11:02:02 am »
Ahhh. This would do for herbs in the winter I think. And a head start with the peppers and tomatoes.

Overbuilt? I say quality and craftsmanship took place.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #623 on: March 04, 2014, 11:36:31 am »
I'm excited to finally start a garden this year!

Too bad I'm like udubdawg and it's freezing cold with snow on the ground. But we are trying to encourage spring to come. We bought a lawnmower and started planning out the layout of the backyard/garden/orchard. C'mon spring!!!  ;D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #624 on: March 04, 2014, 12:04:07 pm »
nice looking cold frame. you're gonna have to open that thing up midday to keep from cooking your seeds!

He just needs a temp controller and a fan.   :D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #625 on: March 04, 2014, 06:55:46 pm »
Bummed that its 4 degrees F in March but generally psyched about this year. I will get my soil tested for the first time, should have done that years ago, and am going to remineralize it. On the other hand my bees didn't make it so Will be buying two packages this year. Started leek and celeriac seedlings 1.5 weeks ago. Leeks are mostly sprouted. Going to start a couple new hops vines, which will make 5. So far in central mass most luck with cascade and galena. Willamette surviving but not thriving, bad luck with hallertau :(
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #626 on: March 04, 2014, 06:57:26 pm »
Bummed that its 4 degrees F in March but generally psyched about this year. I will get my soil tested for the first time, should have done that years ago, and am going to remineralize it. On the other hand my bees didn't make it so Will be buying two packages this year. Started leek and celeriac seedlings 1.5 weeks ago. Leeks are mostly sprouted. Going to start a couple new hops vines, which will make 5. So far in central mass most luck with cascade and galena. Willamette surviving but not thriving, bad luck with hallertau :(
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #627 on: March 05, 2014, 06:51:04 am »
Heading to HD to pick up materials for the wife's new greenhouse. Going to be 12x12 with a gambrel roof, polycarbonate panels. She's stoked. I get a new compound miter saw out of the deal. Maybe a tomato or two

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #628 on: March 05, 2014, 07:19:25 am »
I've decided I'm going to take it easy this year and only buy plants and not start from seed. I get too busy and forget to water or transplant so they aren't as healthy as I would like come may. I also have 3 feet of snow over my garden right now so it'll be a little bit before I plant.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline Stevie

« Reply #629 on: March 05, 2014, 07:46:15 am »
Heading to HD to pick up materials for the wife's new greenhouse. Going to be 12x12 with a gambrel roof, polycarbonate panels. She's stoked. I get a new compound miter saw out of the deal. Maybe a tomato or two

Jim, checkout wranglerstar on YouTube. He has a great series of videos on building a greenhouse.

Edit - Here is a link to the playlist --- http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLu9l40IymKw_o62bLf6kkAiEVqRBKy03u
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:29:26 am by Steve in TX »