Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 223474 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #630 on: March 05, 2014, 11:45:07 am »
Too late. I'm committed but thanks

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #631 on: March 06, 2014, 12:14:45 pm »
Sweet Steve,  I am going to check out those green house vids.  I have been collecting glass for years.

Klickitat. You are going to have to post up some pics of that new greenhouse..err maybe that saw with the greenhouse in the background. :D

Ahhh. This would do for herbs in the winter I think. And a head start with the peppers and tomatoes.

Thanks.  I was thinking about starting potted plants like herbs and such as well.
I made that box so she will stand up as well and has a shelf. ;) Little less surface area for growing, but I like the upright style.
Depending on how the trials go, I might stand it up in spring for potted plants, and then lay it down and fill with soil to go through the winter.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #632 on: March 06, 2014, 12:21:23 pm »
Yes, no photos? It didn't happen

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #633 on: March 06, 2014, 04:34:56 pm »
I've decided I'm going to take it easy this year and only buy plants and not start from seed. I get too busy and forget to water or transplant so they aren't as healthy as I would like come may. I also have 3 feet of snow over my garden right now so it'll be a little bit before I plant.

I'm in the same boat. I have no south-facing windows in my house so getting seedlings going is a PITA. Plus, I can't really harden them off properly because of my work schedule. Ordered a few plants from Cooks Garden already and may snap up a few more online. But the bulk of the plants will come from local nurseries this year.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #634 on: March 08, 2014, 02:03:10 pm »

Just planted my veggies and herbs.

We live in an apartment with horrible sun on the balcony, so I had to get creative with a bit of space near our garage. Planters are based on the global bucket which is an earth box style self watering planter. www.globalbuckets.org

There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show how to build them. Some call for net pots used for aquatic plants, but I didn't feel like tracking them down and used red keg cups with 8 razor slits cut vertically.

Built the first two in August or September last year when my balcony plants failed event though I moved them to a better spot. Basil took off like crazy and tomatoes didn't quite have enough time to fruit well. What fruit I did get was discovered by the birds before I could get to them.

I used white food grade buckets last year and decided to use the orange homer buckets this year. No real reason other than the Home Depot by me doesn't sell five gallon food grade and I didn't care enough to try to source them from a bakery or grocery store.

I built simple boxes to make them more attractive and to prevent the apartment managers from getting pissy. I used the cheapest fence boards I could find and Home Depot cut them for free.

We should be past our last frost, but I can always move them into the garage if any fluke storms come through.

I haven't decided on cages or bamboo stakes for the tomatoes. What do others prefer?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #635 on: March 08, 2014, 03:22:28 pm »
Stakes as the plant can pull the cage out of the soil as it grows taller. Then it flops over in my experience. A real PITA.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Stevie

« Reply #636 on: March 08, 2014, 08:28:00 pm »
Another quick question. I have only ever grown large slicing tomatoes, never cherry or grape size. Do I want to pinch suckers as I do with large tomatoes? The point of the small tomatoes is a high yield, not large fruits. I know i don't want to pinch suckers on determinant tomato plants, this cherry is indeterminate.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #637 on: March 08, 2014, 10:17:22 pm »
That is a great question. One I'd like to know the answer to as well.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #638 on: March 12, 2014, 08:06:55 pm »
Got the greenhouse started. Will be building the gambrel rafters tomorrow

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #639 on: March 12, 2014, 09:19:40 pm »
looking good jim. winter tomatoes?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #640 on: March 12, 2014, 10:56:08 pm »
I think my bride is hoping for that. My job is just to build it.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #641 on: March 12, 2014, 10:58:04 pm »
Man Jim, you have a hell of a life up there. I need to live in the Pacific Northwest.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #642 on: March 12, 2014, 11:36:10 pm »
Thanks. Its great over here on the east side of the cascades. Four seasons and a third the rain of the wet side. While I was building I had about 40 mule deer in the wheat south of me.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #643 on: March 13, 2014, 07:04:32 am »
I'm waiting for the finished structure but looks interesting. Wondering if I can adapt one of my raised beds for winter and still have my tomatoes and peppers.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #644 on: March 13, 2014, 07:50:34 am »
I'm waiting for the finished structure but looks interesting. Wondering if I can adapt one of my raised beds for winter and still have my tomatoes and peppers.

I think you could do a hoop house out of PVC pipe for a raised bed.  I've built one but have yet to use it.  Probably will plant stuff in it in early April (1 month before typical last frost).