Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 224981 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #795 on: April 11, 2015, 07:10:44 am »
The G kids and I are planting today. We decided on onions, a cpl varieties of tomatoes, pickling cucumbers, yellow squash, zucchini, and Italian flat bush beans. We also got some patio tomatoes and a thyme and rosemary bush for the side of the house.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #796 on: April 14, 2015, 07:54:54 am »
I stuck a couple chunks of purple potato in the ground on a whim.  They
taste  mighty good and hope is that they produce.  still mostly too cold here yet
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #797 on: April 16, 2015, 11:17:01 am »
Finally got a chance to get in some summer veggies; tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, straight neck squash, watermelons, jalapeños, habañeros, tomatillos. The kale and chard are still going strong from a winter planting. Plum tree is sprouting leaves and flowers. Got my hops rhizomes in pots along the wall. Gonna be a great summer!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #798 on: April 16, 2015, 11:47:16 am »
Finally got a chance to get in some summer veggies; tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, straight neck squash, watermelons, jalapeños, habañeros, tomatillos. The kale and chard are still going strong from a winter planting. Plum tree is sprouting leaves and flowers. Got my hops rhizomes in pots along the wall. Gonna be a great summer!

That chard looks amazing and nice rosemary, I wish mine would get like that. My garden finally thawed out this week. I got peas, favas, spinach, radishes and lettuce in yesterday. Onions, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, beets, and broccoli raab will go in this coming weekend. We are still about 6 weeks away from planting summer veg.
I got my soil report back from the lab today and it looks great! It seems that the cover crops really did keep the minerals in the soil. All my numbers are near the desired level and way, way higher than last spring which was the first time I tested and re-mineralized. My exchange capacity is more than doubled.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #799 on: April 16, 2015, 11:54:21 am »
Awesome list of veg! The cool thing about raised beds is I can just add soil, compost and fertilizer (manure, I'm pro-organic) to make my own blend. And it makes rotating my crops easy.
That damn Rosemary bush started as a one sprig cutting last year, I chop the crap out of it once a month and it keeps growing!  I'm gonna pull it out of the bed and plant it in the yard as part of the landscaping.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #800 on: April 16, 2015, 12:13:46 pm »
Awesome list of veg! The cool thing about raised beds is I can just add soil, compost and fertilizer (manure, I'm pro-organic) to make my own blend. And it makes rotating my crops easy.
That damn Rosemary bush started as a one sprig cutting last year, I chop the crap out of it once a month and it keeps growing!  I'm gonna pull it out of the bed and plant it in the yard as part of the landscaping.
Raised beds are great but my garden has gotten so big and we grow large amounts of quite a few things so last year I decided to take out beds and grow things in rows, farm style. Works better for us but its not for everyone.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #801 on: April 16, 2015, 01:30:19 pm »
I've been pricing more wood and the stuff is getting expensive. It may be better to just do rows with a drip. One thing I've found with raised beds is that you still got to weed the heck out of it, and grass invariably works its way in either by creeping or by seed.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #802 on: April 16, 2015, 02:29:37 pm »

I've been pricing more wood and the stuff is getting expensive. It may be better to just do rows with a drip. One thing I've found with raised beds is that you still got to weed the heck out of it, and grass invariably works its way in either by creeping or by seed.
I got lucky, the wood was all leftover from the previous owner of the house. I laid down black weed matting under all the mulch areas but I still need to weed every so often because there's none under the beds. I wanted it to be open to the earth for drainage and such.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #803 on: April 16, 2015, 08:31:29 pm »
I have the gray contractor grade fabric everywhere I can get it. Under the beds, around the house, around the trees... It's the stuff from Ace around here. I havent had to weed with that fabric in 1.5 years.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #804 on: April 17, 2015, 06:34:55 am »
I may have try some of this "fabric" you speak of. Guess you lay mulch or gravel over the top in between the beds.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #805 on: April 17, 2015, 07:47:19 am »
Just be sure that you never put wood mulch where you might want to expand your garden later. It takes years to break down and uses a lot of nitrogen to do so.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #806 on: April 17, 2015, 08:42:53 am »
Just be sure that you never put wood mulch where you might want to expand your garden later. It takes years to break down and uses a lot of nitrogen to do so.

+1
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #807 on: April 17, 2015, 10:18:15 am »
The weed fabric is awesome. It allows moisture through but doesn't allow the weeds to grow. You can mulch or gravel over the parts you're not gonna plant in, but like Pete says, no mulch where you think you might plant later on. It's a b**** to remove and takes forever to break down. If you need to kill weeds or clear a spot for planting,  I've laid down cardboard, then top soil over that. The cardboard kills the weeds and breaks down fairly quickly. Place it down in the Fall (for those of you that have that kinda thing) and by Spring you should have a weed free area ready to plant.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #808 on: April 18, 2015, 01:00:03 pm »
The rain toppled my onion tops but they are starting to bulb up nicely.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #809 on: April 18, 2015, 07:02:25 pm »
The rain toppled my onion tops but they are starting to bulb up nicely.

just planted my onions today up here. I think it ended up being 150+ yellow storage onions, 40-50 Red Zeppelin, and about 80-90 sweet white onions. the goal is to store enough for the year. I think the onions are going to have a good year. I gave them prime real estate in the main garden with lots of sun and little weed competition. I only planted the best plants in the rows, the scrawney ones I planted in a group together and I'll use those for spring onions.