Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pesticide for hops  (Read 2048 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
Pesticide for hops
« on: June 07, 2012, 05:53:14 pm »
Not sure where to post this, but i noticed that there is something eating the leaves on my hops plants. Does anybody know of a good pesticide that will kill the unknown bug but be safe to brew with?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Pesticide for hops
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:07:50 pm »
Safer's Soap will work.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:34:41 pm »
ok thanks
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 07:37:07 am »
I would think any pesticide that is safe for fruit or veggies would work. Just make sure to follow the safety guidelines on the package. I've used spectricide with good results.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 08:34:32 am »
You want to identify the pest and choose a treatment that is safe and effective.  Maybe check with the extension office.  They seem to appreciate the out of the ordinary.