Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Which pump for my system?  (Read 3242 times)

Offline biermonkey

• 1st Kit
Which pump for my system?
« on: March 14, 2012, 05:56:34 am »
Thats the question.  Simple yet not so much.  Do I go with a March pump, and if so which model?  Please, comments, questions, and concerns are accepted here!  I'm building and assembling my system by myself, with 3 converted snake kegs.  Also, what plate chiller would be best?

Thanks from a new all grain'r,

Jason

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Which pump for my system?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 06:08:27 am »
Food grade pump perferrably with magnetically driven impeller so you to dont deadhead the pump.  March pump is used more often than other brands.  I have a March 409 if I remember correctly.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 06:09:52 am »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 06:46:49 am »
The selection of a pump depends on the head conditions and system configuration.  For most systems, you're looking at a max of about 4 or 5 feet of elevation head and a total dynamic head (TDH) of about 8 to 10 feet.  This TDH would be a worst case for most brewers and would probably be only a foot or two greater than the elevation head requirements for most systems. 

A centrifugal pump is a good choice for our typical conditions, but peristaltic or diaphragm pumps are also suitable.  As most brewers know, a March 809 HS provides high temperature fluid pumping capability and a seal-less pump volute.  They are relatively inexpensive.  The problem with any centrifugal pump is that they require special care to assure they are primed.  They may also lose their prime if the brewer tries to pump nearly-boiling or boiling liquids. 

The peristaltic and diaphragm pumps are self-priming, but they are typically more expensive pumps.  They also tend to have 'pulsing' flow rate and the total flow rate is typically less than that of a small centrifugal unless the brewer is willing to spend a lot of money on a larger pump. 

The March 809 HS can provide up to about 12 feet of TDH.  That can be further enhanced by installing the impeller from the March 815 pump in a 809 HS.  That is a ~$30 expense, but it increases the max TDH to about 18 feet.  The flow rate also goes up with that impeller change. 

The good thing about a centrifugal pump is that you can shut off the flow by closing a valve on the outlet side of the pump.  This does not hurt the pump and the flow can be shut off for hours without problem.  This cannot be done with peristaltic or diaphragm pumps.  The ability to shut off flow can also be used to help maintain the prime on the centrifugal pump.  Just keep the pump on through the brewing session and close the valve while changing hoses or doing other operations.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:50:34 am by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 06:57:54 am »
When I first heard about using the 815 impeller I was ready to jump on it, but then I got to thinking about it. Do I really need the extra volume? I've also heard funny noises coming from the pump when I added some fresh IM to the wort. Do I want to risk the pump jamming by decreasing the clearance between the impeller and the pump housing. I'd be interested in hearing how this modification works for those that try it.

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:45:47 am »
The pump motor can't jam due an impeller jam because of the magnetic clutch. I have this mod and can say it is a great improvement with the best things being the reduction in cavitation problems and better throttling of wort.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:54:46 am »
The pump motor can't jam due an impeller jam because of the magnetic clutch. I have this mod and can say it is a great improvement with the best things being the reduction in cavitation problems and better throttling of wort.

I didn't mean that the motor would jam, but rather the pump impeller itself. What type of hops do you use? Pellet, whole, bagged and do you use any Irish moss? Glad to hear positive things about it.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 09:36:28 am »
I've also heard funny noises coming from the pump when I added some fresh IM to the wort.

Why are you pumping boiling wort in the kettle?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 09:43:49 am »
I've also heard funny noises coming from the pump when I added some fresh IM to the wort.

Why are you pumping boiling wort in the kettle?

I do it toward the end of the boil to sanitize the hoses, just about the time I add IM. I now let the IM stand for 5 minutes or so in the boil before I start the pump and it's not a problem anymore.

I also let the pump run throughout the entire cooling cycle to improve my IC efficiency and to whirlpool the hop particles. Either way the pump is going to be moving some solids, thus my concern with the larger impeller.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:49:47 am by bo »