Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: skull splitter  (Read 5666 times)

Offline CB-Illinois

• Cellarman
skull splitter
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:30:39 pm »
Hi,

Just had a beer called skull splitter, it was AWESOME!!!  Any one have a clone recipe for it?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: skull splitter
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:26:50 pm »
Hi,

Just had a beer called skull splitter, it was AWESOME!!!  Any one have a clone recipe for it?

Did it live up to its name?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 04:59:32 am »
I don't have a clone recipe for skull splitter but it's a wee heavy.  I do my wee heavy with mostly MO with just enough roasted barley to get you into the color range you're looking for. 

I pull off a gallon of the first runnings, boil it down to thick syrup, and add it back to the kettle. 

For hops I go with EKG at 60 for bittering and some at 20 minutes as well.

Ferment with 1728 or equivalent at 60F.

For mash temp/time I'm not sure.  For my recipe I go low and long (148F for 2 hours), but I'm shooting for an OG in the 1.120 - 1.130 range.  I'm planning on doing a "light" version sometime this year that will be in the 8% ABV range and I'm still deciding how I want to approach it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:34:03 am »
I don't have a clone recipe for skull splitter but it's a wee heavy.  I do my wee heavy with mostly MO with just enough roasted barley to get you into the color range you're looking for. 

I pull off a gallon of the first runnings, boil it down to thick syrup, and add it back to the kettle. 

For hops I go with EKG at 60 for bittering and some at 20 minutes as well.

Ferment with 1728 or equivalent at 60F.

For mash temp/time I'm not sure.  For my recipe I go low and long (148F for 2 hours), but I'm shooting for an OG in the 1.120 - 1.130 range.  I'm planning on doing a "light" version sometime this year that will be in the 8% ABV range and I'm still deciding how I want to approach it.

That sounds very close to what I'm planning for what will be my very first Wee Heavy.  Mostly Crisp Marris Otter plus two ounces of Roast Barley.  Also thinking of adding 8 ounces of Honey Malt (cuz I have it and I like it).  Brewed an Irish Red with 1728 last weekend so that'll be my starter for the Wee Heavy weekend after next.  Also planning on doing the "boil down a gallon of first runnings" thing.  Shooting for 1.100.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:13:41 am by hokerer »
Joe

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 11:00:12 am »
Nice, good luck with it.  My annual batch will be brewed in April.  I do a 70/- the week before as my starter.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline CB-Illinois

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:32:31 am »
Hi all,

Thank you so much for the recipe's!  And yes it lived up to its name...

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:51:01 am »
Most of the good wee heavies seem to follow the Traquair clone route, which is a good thing.  99% base malt (Golden Promise preferably, or Marris Otter), and 1% Roast Barley, then kettle caramelize the hell out of 1 gal of 1st runnings.  Bittering hops only (EK Goldings, Fuggles or N Brewer) to style.

And for what it's worth, Skull Splitter is just one of Orkney Brewing's fine offerings.  Try Red MacGregor, or Dark Island.