Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Converted Sankey Keg Volume Limits  (Read 5556 times)

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Converted Sankey Keg Volume Limits
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:51:54 am »
So Im doing a BIG RIS this weekend with 39 lbs of grain mashing in at 1.1 qts per lb my expected mash volume is 13.98 gallons.  Has anyone tried this size grain bill in a converted sankey keg? Im using norcalbrewing false bottom. I did a BarleyWine with 35.5 pounds of grain and didnt have any issues, just wondering how much grain any of you guys have successfully stuffed into a keg.

Share your horror stories or experiences!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Converted Sankey Keg Volume Limits
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:59:57 am »
You'll be pushing the limits on that one. It will probably fit with about an inch to spare. Maybe...depending on how much dead space your false bottom consumes. I've done 38 lbs with a 1:1 (water/grain) ratio and it was pushing the limit in a 58qt cooler w/o a false bottom.
Ron Price

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 10:02:33 am »
I get a little shy of a gallon of deadspace from the false bottom, so im actually doughing in with 10 gallons of water and 39 lbs of grain. 

I think itll fit, the question is will the pump have issues with re-circulating! We shall soon find out.  My back up plan is toss some DME in the boil to replace some of the 2 row.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:11:21 am »
does the pump care what the total volume of liquid it's trying to move is? don't know, just asking.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:24:31 am »
No its a March 815. The only thing I can see happening is the sheer weight and volume of everything compressing the steel dip tube a little bit to the bottom of the keg.  May try and pit a shim or something under there for this brew.
Jason

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:27:39 am »
does the pump care what the total volume of liquid it's trying to move is? don't know, just asking.

It does if you're pushing it up a pipe.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:33:55 am »

I see, so if the volume is above the output of the pump i can see how that would have an effect
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 10:35:58 am »
I get a little shy of a gallon of deadspace from the false bottom, so im actually doughing in with 10 gallons of water and 39 lbs of grain. 

I think itll fit, the question is will the pump have issues with re-circulating! We shall soon find out.  My back up plan is toss some DME in the boil to replace some of the 2 row.

Well...you'll definitely be testing the limits of your sytem.  :)
Ron Price

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 10:40:09 am »

Thats the plan! Here is the recipe if anyone's interested!

26 lbs 2-Row
3 lbs Roasted Barley
2 lbs Black Patent
2 lbs Chocolate-English
2 lbs Flaked Barley
4 lbs Munich
2 lbs C-80

Collect 14 gallons- Boil 2 hours

Magnum @ 60 min
Centennial @ 45,30,15,10,5 min

Est 1.100 O.G. 97 IBUs

Split batch into 5 gallon WLP001 in one WY1084 in the other.
Jason

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 10:56:34 am »

I see, so if the volume is above the output of the pump i can see how that would have an effect
The volume doesn't matter, only the height it has to overcome.  If you haven't moved your pump or the outlet there should be no change.

You're definitely going to be pushing it - I would get your strike water set, and half of the base malt, then the specialty malts, then add as much of the rest of the base malt as you can fit.  Make up any that you couldn't fit with DME, and I'd have some extra DME or sugar on hand in case you miss your gravity.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 10:57:49 am »

The volume doesn't matter, only the height it has to overcome.  If you haven't moved your pump or the outlet there should be no change.

You're definitely going to be pushing it - I would get your strike water set, and half of the base malt, then the specialty malts, then add as much of the rest of the base malt as you can fit.  Make up any that you couldn't fit with DME, and I'd have some extra DME or sugar on hand in case you miss your gravity.

Exactly my plan!
Jason

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 10:59:30 am »

Exactly my plan!

Look at the specification for feet of head. That will tell you how far vertically you can push it.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 11:14:24 am »
Exactly my plan!
Perfect, what could go wrong? ;D

Look at the specification for feet of head. That will tell you how far vertically you can push it.
Exactly. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 11:17:17 am »
Exactly my plan!
Perfect, what could go wrong? ;D

Exactly. :)

That and Feet of Head just has a certain ring to it. :D

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 05:19:02 pm »
What efficiency are you planning for?  Did you get 10 gallons from your barleywine mash?  I do that for 6 gallons of barleywine.

I would leave out a gallon or two of hot liquor and then mix it back in after the rest is stirred in.

Thats the plan! Here is the recipe if anyone's interested!

26 lbs 2-Row
3 lbs Roasted Barley
2 lbs Black Patent
2 lbs Chocolate-English
2 lbs Flaked Barley
4 lbs Munich
2 lbs C-80

Collect 14 gallons- Boil 2 hours

Magnum @ 60 min
Centennial @ 45,30,15,10,5 min

Est 1.100 O.G. 97 IBUs

Split batch into 5 gallon WLP001 in one WY1084 in the other.
Brew on