Author Topic: Latest life changing event.  (Read 2529 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
Re: Latest life changing event.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 02:48:28 AM »
I'm with you Phil.  I have the opportunity to try a lot of tablets.

Those who get it, get it.  Those who don't spend a lot of time making excuses.

Kinda like the guy who says bad things about KitchenAid mixers...  ::)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 02:50:33 AM by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 06:50:52 AM »
I'll be getting the new iPad.  I own a tech support company and have worked on every tablet out there and nothing really come close to the iPad and the new iPad is awesome.  I do run into people that are against anything "i" and I guess that's their decision.  Me personally, I'm not buying anything other than an "i".  Although, I also have a HP Touchpad which I was lucky to get a couple of these when HP announced they were halting production and sold them for $99. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 08:33:58 AM »
I'm trying to imagine if I would ever describe any electronic device as a life changing event. :D

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 09:52:29 AM »
plus the app ecosystem is littered with malware, spyware and ripoffs.

So is the internet, and yet I wouldn't want it policed by anyone (remember AOL?).  What you see as safe I see as closed. 

I love OS X and thought it was awesome that it was based on BSD Unix.  The problem I have with Apple devices is that they're going back to the walled garden that frustrated even Mac lovers like myself in the 90s.  iTunes pisses me off, and the fact that they bought and shut down Lala (a spotify-like service from 2 or 3 years ago) was even worse.  I'd get an iPad if it were more like a regular computer and less like a computer-lite.  The fact that it's a locked down, controlled "experience" is a big sell for some people, but not me.
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Offline euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 11:39:04 AM »

So is the internet, and yet I wouldn't want it policed by anyone (remember AOL?).  What you see as safe I see as closed. 

I love OS X and thought it was awesome that it was based on BSD Unix.  The problem I have with Apple devices is that they're going back to the walled garden that frustrated even Mac lovers like myself in the 90s.  iTunes pisses me off, and the fact that they bought and shut down Lala (a spotify-like service from 2 or 3 years ago) was even worse.  I'd get an iPad if it were more like a regular computer and less like a computer-lite.  The fact that it's a locked down, controlled "experience" is a big sell for some people, but not me.

Precisely why I sold my iPhone and never plan to buy another Apple product again. It'd have to be pretty special to convince me to not to wait for a better and open-source version to come out.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 11:57:29 AM »

Precisely why I sold my iPhone and never plan to buy another Apple product again. It'd have to be pretty special to convince me to not to wait for a better and open-source version to come out.

Eh, just my personal opinion but open-source is over rated.  I've worked on every kind of phone and tablet out there and it doesn't matter if you system is open-source if your product isn't as good as Apple's.  I have yet to run across any of my clients that have decided against an iPhone or iPad to get another product.  On the other hand, just about every user of Droid or Windows OS devices have switched or are switching to and iOS based product.  Again, this is just my opinion, but Apple continues to put out the best products with the best ecosystem.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • View Profile
    • My Job
Latest life changing event.
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 12:54:04 AM »

My main machine at work is a hacked-together i7 nehalem with 32Gb ram running Ubuntu. I am against walled gardens for desktops (osX is NOT a walled garden) but when it comes to mobile devices, if a bit of editorial control is what makes the difference between having a working phone with good battery life and excellent content library, versus having an 'open' device that requires 10 hours just to get it configured so it doesn't wolf down battery, that's a price I'm willing to pay.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 05:23:31 AM »
I'm trying to imagine if I would ever describe any electronic device as a life changing event. :D

Defibrillator?
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 05:28:25 AM »

Defibrillator?

You got me there, although I haven't had the need for one yet. :D