Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Boil Kettle  (Read 2754 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
New Boil Kettle
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:44:12 pm »
I just picked up my new kettle from the welder today- I converted a 15.5G sanke keg into my new brew kettle complete with a ball valve and site gauge.  I calibrated the site gauge today and realized my dead space is a lot more than my previous kettle.  It came out close to 2 gallons (basically the volume left in the kettle after letting it drain without tipping it on its side. 
How should I account for this in recipe formulation and water needed?  In my prior kettle I did tip the kettle towards the end of draining it thru the wort chiller and into the fermenter to maximize my volume.  Any suggestions?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: New Boil Kettle
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:54:03 pm »
Tip the kettle?

Or make a pick-up like I did, though I still have to tip it to get the last quart or so out.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:06:40 pm »
Or make a pick-up like I did, though I still have to tip it to get the last quart or so out.

Yep, a pickup tube is basically an elbow and pipe that you add to the inside of the drain in your kettle.  It's outlet is lower than the bottom of the drain hole so siphon action allows you to drain much of that deadspace.  Looks something like...

Joe

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:09:12 pm »

You know they have pills for that sort of problem...  ;D
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 08:17:42 am »
+1 on a pickup tube. You could account for the dead space in your recipes, but since this is a boil kettle you'd be loosing a HUGE amount of the fermentables sugars.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958