Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Just tasted my very first brew. Could use some thoughts.  (Read 8266 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Just tasted my very first brew. Could use some thoughts.
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 02:53:57 pm »
If I recall correctly 5-star designed it for Coors. it's a mild caustic cleaner and can be somewhat irratating to the skin and mucous membranes (in powder form it burns the eyes and lungs fairly unpleasantly)

It's percarbonate.  Is that caustic?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2012, 03:14:47 pm »
If I recall correctly 5-star designed it for Coors. it's a mild caustic cleaner and can be somewhat irratating to the skin and mucous membranes (in powder form it burns the eyes and lungs fairly unpleasantly)

Definitely irritates.  I got some plumbers gloves for when I use it because I was losing my fingerprints.  :-D
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline netsteel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 07:32:48 am »
Update: I decided to go for it this weekend (2 and a half weeks since bottling) and threw a 12-pack in the fridge. It was great! The flavors had balanced out and all the bitterness I was concerned about had faded away, leaving a smooth finish. It was as good as anything I have purchased commercially. The wife and I enjoyed it so much I had to throw in a second 12-pack near the end of the weekend. You guys were definitely right about how fast it goes. I just got batch #2 bottled yesterday. I need to pick up the pace if I don't want to run out.
These results definitely solidified my taking this hobby on. I'll be doing a lot more. With your help I'll be brewing great beer for a long time.

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk
Peace, Love, Beer!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 08:51:36 am »
Nice! enjoy. I understand the drive to brew more. although I hate running out of homebrew I do enjoy the opportunity to buy some commercial stuff once in a while.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce