General Category > Equipment and Software

Manifold vs. Screen/Braid

(1/2) > >>

bendbrew:
Okay-so I will shortly be getting my 70qt Coleman Extreme.  My next decision is whether to build a manifold or use a stainless steel screen or braid.  I have read that the issue appears to be efficiency.  Anyone have an opinion either way?  Thanks.

hokerer:
I batch sparge with a smaller Coleman Xtreme using the braid and I consistently get 80-85% brewhouse efficiency.  Have never used a manifold but I wouldn't think it would be much better than that.

dhacker:
You planning to fly or batch sparge?

bendbrew:
Batch appears to be the simplest but keeping options open may be beneficial.  Can you fly sparge in a rectangular cooler?

hokerer:

--- Quote from: bendbrew on January 30, 2010, 10:34:58 PM ---Batch appears to be the simplest but keeping options open may be beneficial.  Can you fly sparge in a rectangular cooler?

--- End quote ---

Sure, you can fly sparge in a rect cooler.  It'll probably eliminate the braid as an option for you though.  With fly, it becomes all important to make sure that your collection method provides coverage for a much of the area of the grain bed as possible.  For a rect, that means manifold (round coolers could also use a false bottom).  With batch sparge, since you drain the whole thing each time, you're not worried about channelling and such so a braid works great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version