Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mike McDole...Brew System...Recipes?  (Read 12100 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Mike McDole...Brew System...Recipes?
« on: March 14, 2012, 07:09:59 pm »
I've come across a couple of recipes by Mike McDole online, as well as watched a quick Youtube video of Mike and Vinny Cilurzo discussing Mike's American brown ale recipe.  From what little I know about Mike, it's easy to discern that he's well regarded in the homebrewing world.  So, does anyone know anything about his brewing system?  Where can I find his recipes?  I see Fred Bonjour has a couple posted on his site.  Any online interviews with Mike?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Mike McDole...Brew System...Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:57:38 pm »
Mike "Tasty" McDole is on many of the BN podcasts.  Look at Listen to some of the Jamil/Can You Brew It shows.  He does talk about his process in some of those, don't know if he talks about his system.

He is also active on the BN forums, so you might see what he says on those.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 12:35:34 am »
I know Tasty and he spoke at my club's meeting a few months ago, along with Nathan Smith. I know that he boils in a flat-bottom kettle (not a keggle) and chills externally. He also uses a whirlpool technique. I believe he fly sparges, though I am a bit foggy on that.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:27:48 am »
Yes, he is trying to do the process as the brewery does to make a beer.  That includes a long whirlpool on many hoppy beers. Thanks for filling us in on the system Mike uses.

Nathan Smith was featured in a Brewing TV episode, and since he was brewing you can see his system. He has a NHC medal winning IPA recipe that one sees published, and is also on the Brewing Network.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
Mike McDole...Brew System...Recipes?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:21:16 am »
I've met Mike several times and he is super friendly and open to helping. If you are on Facebook hit him up there I am sure he would be happy to answer any questions for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 12:19:26 pm »
Tasty APA: http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Tasty%20APA.html

I think there may be a newer version of it on the BN forum.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 01:22:18 pm »
Can't find it now, but I know I saw some pics of his brewing setup on TBN forums. I think it had something to do with Big Brew Day a couple of years back.

IIRC, it was 2 keggles, 3 pumps, 3 bayou burners and 1 Italian kettle. Could be wrong – can't find the pics about which I was thinking. 

The pics were probably from ~'08.

EDIT: found - http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16888&p=171831&hilit=brew+system#p171831
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:57:29 pm by thcipriani »
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline tastymcd

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 11:42:49 am »
That's a fairly accurate picture and description. I've since replaced the Italian 26 gallon kettle with a MoreBeer 26 gallon kettle and moved the Italian kettle over as my hot liquor tank. My mash tun, pictured, is a Heineken keg which I've had modified to have bottom drain that comes out the side through the bottom collar. It sits on a low BTU Campchef burner that I've modified with a gas controller I can turn on and off based on the temperature measured as the recirc comes off the bottom. I've been using this mash tun and setup since I went all-grain 14 years ago.
I still use a hopback but replaced the one pictured with a commercially available one. I use an external chiller from the same company.
My process is pretty straightforward. I generally try to keep my process within the limits that apply to commercial brewers. It helps me calibrate to commercial beers. I almost always do single infusion mashing and raise the temperature for mashout. I fly sparge. I always do 90 minute boils with a 15% per hour boil-off rate. I almost exclusively use hop pellets and use hopsacks when using whole hops. I do a 30 minute whirlpool rest followed by a 15 minute knockout on beers that have flameout hops. I skip the extended rest on other beers and knockout after a five minute whirlpool.
I think that pretty much describes my system.
Mike "Tasty" McDole   

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 12:52:21 pm »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the update.
yep yep yep yep

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 01:26:03 pm »
I do a 30 minute whirlpool rest followed by a 15 minute knockout on beers that have flameout hops. I skip the extended rest on other beers and knockout after a five minute whirlpool.

Does the whirlpool time start at the end of the 90 minute boil, with no heat added? What happens during the 15 minute knockout?  Seems I may have had the terms/processes confused and combined.
My hopguard doesn't make a proper whirlpool easy. My process has been to hook up my chiller/pump and begin recirculating the wort to sanitize the chiller during the last ten minutes of the boil.  If I have flameout (knockout?) hop in the recipe I will continue recirculating hot wort without running cold water through the chiller for 10 minutes. Next I'll run cold water through the chiller and continue recirculating until I can get the wort coming out of the chiller down to about 55 or 65.  Then it's off to the fermenters.
Anyone see problems in my process or ideas that would improve it?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

narvin

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 01:45:52 pm »
I do a 30 minute whirlpool rest followed by a 15 minute knockout on beers that have flameout hops. I skip the extended rest on other beers and knockout after a five minute whirlpool.

Does the whirlpool time start at the end of the 90 minute boil, with no heat added? What happens during the 15 minute knockout?  Seems I may have had the terms/processes confused and combined.
My hopguard doesn't make a proper whirlpool easy. My process has been to hook up my chiller/pump and begin recirculating the wort to sanitize the chiller during the last ten minutes of the boil.  If I have flameout (knockout?) hop in the recipe I will continue recirculating hot wort without running cold water through the chiller for 10 minutes. Next I'll run cold water through the chiller and continue recirculating until I can get the wort coming out of the chiller down to about 55 or 65.  Then it's off to the fermenters.
Anyone see problems in my process or ideas that would improve it?

The whirlpool is recirculation of hot wort to get a trub cone to form.  It sounds like the knockout is additional time where the wort is hot, but without recirculation.

Whether or not you're recirculating, I think the general idea is to let the wort sit hot (180-200 F) with the hops steeping.  This has been referred to as a hop stand:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=76188&sid=c6d4eb4e4ddac25e7be16624214290dd

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 02:10:56 pm »
Interesting and helpful discussion, thanks Narvin!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 12:18:22 pm »
That's a fairly accurate picture and description. I've since replaced the Italian 26 gallon kettle with a MoreBeer 26 gallon kettle and moved the Italian kettle over as my hot liquor tank. My mash tun, pictured, is a Heineken keg which I've had modified to have bottom drain that comes out the side through the bottom collar. It sits on a low BTU Campchef burner that I've modified with a gas controller I can turn on and off based on the temperature measured as the recirc comes off the bottom. I've been using this mash tun and setup since I went all-grain 14 years ago.
I still use a hopback but replaced the one pictured with a commercially available one. I use an external chiller from the same company.
My process is pretty straightforward. I generally try to keep my process within the limits that apply to commercial brewers. It helps me calibrate to commercial beers. I almost always do single infusion mashing and raise the temperature for mashout. I fly sparge. I always do 90 minute boils with a 15% per hour boil-off rate. I almost exclusively use hop pellets and use hopsacks when using whole hops. I do a 30 minute whirlpool rest followed by a 15 minute knockout on beers that have flameout hops. I skip the extended rest on other beers and knockout after a five minute whirlpool.
I think that pretty much describes my system.
Mike "Tasty" McDole

Thanks for the info.

One thing I'm unclear on..." I do a 30 minute whirlpool rest followed by a 15 minute knockout on beers that have flameout hops."  Am I to understand that after the 30 minute whirlpool rest, you add the flameout hops which you let stand for an additional 15 minutes?

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 05:45:42 am »
One thing I'm unclear on..." I do a 30 minute whirlpool rest followed by a 15 minute knockout on beers that have flameout hops."  Am I to understand that after the 30 minute whirlpool rest, you add the flameout hops which you let stand for an additional 15 minutes?
No, you add the flameout hops at flameout.  Then you whirlpool, then you knockout, with the hops in the kettle the entire time.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 12:08:57 pm »
No, you add the flameout hops at flameout.  Then you whirlpool, then you knockout, with the hops in the kettle the entire time.

Okay then, I thought "flameout" and "knockout" were the same thing?  What is "knockout"?