Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch sparging specifics  (Read 5682 times)

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
Re: Batch sparging specifics
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 01:51:43 pm »
Ok, well I think I'll stick with the add 1/2 water, drain, add 1/2 sparge water, drain, done method.

BTW I am able to calculate how much boiling water to add to get my 152F mash up to 168F; I just said 2/3 and 1/3 to keep it approximate and easy. (You just use a step mash calculator and knowing my total water used, keep tweaking the numbers until I get the total amount).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 02:15:56 pm »
I have never found a calculator that could accurately predict infusion amounts for a cooler.  If I want to do that, I just stir in boiling water til I hit my temp.  Instead of 1/2 and 11/2, try this...after your mash runoff, measure how much wort you have in your kettle.  Subtract that from the amount you want to boil.  The answer you get is how much sparge water to use.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 03:24:52 pm »
I have never found a calculator that could accurately predict infusion amounts for a cooler. 

Me neither.  But I've been able to get a pretty good idea of what I need to add to get to where I need to through trial and error over time on my system.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 04:32:11 pm »
I have never found a calculator that could accurately predict infusion amounts for a cooler.  If I want to do that, I just stir in boiling water til I hit my temp.  Instead of 1/2 and 11/2, try this...after your mash runoff, measure how much wort you have in your kettle.  Subtract that from the amount you want to boil.  The answer you get is how much sparge water to use.

This is what I did. I will mash with a ratio of 1.25 qt per pound of grain.  After the first run off I sparge with an amount that would get me to my boil volume.  After a few times and some good notes, I've now got my system dialed in to where I know exactly how much water for the mash and sparge I'll need.  If you use BrewSmith, the volumes they suggest are fairly close and a good guide to start with.  Each system is different, so it may take a few batches to know how much absorption you get from your system, any dead space and how much water you'll need.  I remember the first time I did this, I had come up short on my boil volume after the sparge, so I did a second sparge to get to my boil volume.  The second time, I had more boil volume than I needed, so I boiled longer until I got to the volume I wanted.  Each of these times, the beer came out great, but just made the brew day longer. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 05:00:22 pm »
A few things to consider during the mash are the grain absorption and dead space in the mash tun. Then I like to target 1.5:1 (water to grain ratio). I then sparge with enough water to collect my pre-boil volume, which for a final volume of 5.5-6 gallons using a 90 minute boil, I collect about 7.5-8 gallons. This pre-boil volume is also dependant upon boil vigor and kettle losses (hop absorption, CFC losses, etc...). I like to target the final gravity not the volume, so if I'm slightly off on the volume it's not a problem as long as I can it my targeted final gravity.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 06:34:10 pm »
#1 is batch sparging.  #2 & #3 are no sparging and will give you lower efficiency than #1.
How is adding 1/3 water at the end and then draining it not sparging?

I'm reading that as "Add 2/3 of my total water volume, wait, add the remaining water volume to raise temp, drain."  He's step infusing but only draining once.
Ah, I see, I read it as draining in between.  Still, if you are not stirring to homogenize the mash after you add the last third, I think it is close enough to sparging.

#1 is batch sparging.  #2 & #3 are no sparging and will give you lower efficiency than #1.
How is adding 1/3 water at the end and then draining it not sparging?

Oh, man, this is a topic that been debated for years!  I think Dixon has been adamant about it in the past.  To me, if you haven't drained the mash when you add that water, you're simply doing a mash infusion, not a sparge.  Other people's definitions (especially Dixon's!) may differ...but they'd be wrong!  ;)
Like I say above, if you are just topping it up and running it out the bottom without stirring then I think you're sparging.  If you stir it in then I'd agree, it is a step infusion.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
Re: Re: Batch sparging specifics
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 08:10:52 pm »
I do #1 but my sparge water is usually around 185 -190 F.

I'm going to try a mashout step next time, then sparge like I normally do to see if I can get any increase in efficiency.  I am consistantly coming in just under 70%.  It may work or it may not, but thought it was worth a shot.

If you are trying to increase your efficiency, take a look at your crush; especially if you batch sparge.  I batch sparge and hit almost exactly 75% efficiency every time.  I don't brew much above 1.075 gravity though or I suspect it might drop.

Veldy