Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash thickness question  (Read 6929 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Mash thickness question
« on: March 24, 2012, 08:33:09 am »
Is it true a thick mash produces a fuller bodied beer? If so what would be considered a thick mash?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash thickness question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:31:39 am »
I have not found that to be true. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:18:15 am »
I agree with Denny.
Thinner mash is easier work with and has more thermal mass.
1.4 to 2.0 is a good ratio.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:44:44 am »
Theoretically, I believe it's true. Practically, however, I can't detect any difference whatsoever. Mash temperature has a much, much bigger influence on body.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:46:19 am by Mark G »
Mark Gres

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 10:50:31 am »
I should modify my answer to say that I haven't detected any difference in the finished beer from using a mash thickness from .75-2 qt./lb. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 11:30:53 am »
Hasn't made a difference to me as to body, but it might affect your conversion, as in slowing it down. If I have a thick mash then I mash longer. Others don't though. YMMV
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 12:18:29 pm »
I used to mash in the 1.25 to 1.33 qt/lb range with my RIMS.  I thinned my mashes to about 1.5 to 1.75 qts/lb in the past couple of years and have not noted a difference in body or fermentability due to that factor.  Mash temperature is more influential to fermentability in my opinion.  Body can be somewhat influenced by wort fermentability. 

The other big factor in body building is the level of beta-glucans in the wort.  That is a super body builder, but has to be managed carefully to avoid clouding the beer. 

Now I feel that mash thickness should be viewed as a factor decided by the size of the brewer's mash tun and the water chemistry of the water.  The water chemistry plays its part through the amount of alkalinity that the water delivers into the mash.  If the mash pH is a little too high because the water alkalinity is too high, then reducing the amount of water in the mash (thickening the mash) might help produce a decent mash pH.  If the water has low alkalinity and the mash demands more alkalinity, then adding more water (thinning the mash) may help produce a better mash pH.

In general, I think that mash thickness in the 1.5 to 2 qt/lb range is a good starting point.  I don't see a reason to aim for thicker mashes unless you can't fit it in your tun.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 01:29:14 pm »
Thanks Martin that actually helped me a bit. My mash is usually 1.6 to 2 qts. I've had trouble converting really thick mashes like 1.15 qts.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 06:11:43 pm »
Thankyou for your replies.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline paul

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 08:47:28 pm »
I've actually heard the reverse: a thick mash produces a more fermentable wort.  The explanation is that in a thick mash the enzymes are less diluted and more available to do their work on starches.  And since beta amylase is responsible for producing very fermentable worts, and it denatures faster than alpha amylase, it makes sense that anything that allows the enzymes to work faster will give beta a chance to work while it can.  I've gotten some pretty good attenuation with mashes in the 1.1 to 1.2 qt/lb range, but I can't say I've done any experiments.

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
Re: Re: Mash thickness question
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 05:47:39 pm »
Is it true a thick mash produces a fuller bodied beer? If so what would be considered a thick mash?

If it produces more body in the beer I suspect this might be caused by hot spots and perhaps dough balls in the mash.  I personally haven't experienced this and usually mash around 1.25 to 1.33 qt/lb regardless of style.

Veldy

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 12:16:26 pm »
The rules-of-thumb about mash thickness were made up back when malt was enzymatically weak. I read that in thinner mashes, the alpha amylase is denatured more quickly than in a thicker mash. This is why old texts recommended to mash thick and hot for a full-bodied beer.

Most modern malts have so much excess enzymatic power (100-120+ DP), it doesn't matter if some, or even half of the enzymes are denatured in a thin mash. There will still be plenty left to fully convert.

I mash super thin now (4-5L/kg, which is about 2-2.4qt/lb), and haven't noticed any difference in the fermentability or body of my beers.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:26:36 pm by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.