Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Converted Sankey Keg Volume Limits  (Read 5527 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Converted Sankey Keg Volume Limits
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 05:37:49 pm »
I've done an RIS with 42 pounds of malt(and a pound of molasses)and 11 gallons of water in my converted keg .  The only issue is sparging, it takes forever because the grain bed will compact considerably.  I prefer fly sparging on a grain bill this big instead of doing 5 or six "batches" required to collect 13 or 14 gallons of wort.  Efficiency sucks on a grain bill this big but it can be done.
The last time I brewed this beer I used my old ZapPap mash tun for about 10 pounds of the malt and boiled it in a smaller kettle.  I collected a total of about 17 gallons before the refractometer indicated the runoff was around 1.010, and it took almost 3 hours to boil it back to the 11 gallons I wanted.
But it was worth it.  I finished the second keg of that batch almost 3 years after I brewed it and it was still an amzing beer.  I had to keep telling my friends the keg was empty or they would have finished it in no time.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 09:07:59 am »
I did get 10 gallons out of my barleywine mash and achieved 84% efficiency on that mash, I calculated this one at 82% efficiency figuring a slight drop with a few xtra pounds of grain.  Ill also have plenty of rice hulls on hand to help the sparge!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline PSUhomebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 10:17:03 am »
The max I heard for a keg is 49, I've done a batch with 43. If you want to see an fool around with your water to grist ratio you coul use the "can I mash it" calculator.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 10:36:39 am »
I have done 39 pounds.  Not too bad, but it had to be stirred with care so that some didn't slop over the lip of the opening.  Efficiency for that one was about 72-73% if I remember.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 01:24:37 pm »
Brewed this up yesterday. It all fit and I got 77% efficiency. The pump didnt clog once. I just so happened to guesstimate 77% in Beersmith at the last minute so everything was perfect. Also hit a pH of 5.5 which is just what I was looking for. Hit 1.100 OG. The brew gods were with me yesterday.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.