Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC brew letdown  (Read 6724 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
NHC brew letdown
« on: March 15, 2012, 03:39:30 pm »
I brewed a bunch of recipes that I like to make for the NHC and I was really careful, really meticulous, really stringent on my measuring, sanitation etc and now that I'm tasting them, I'm sort of disappointed.  I think my regular old everyday beers where I just make beer are better.  Is it possible to be too clinical?  You just can't taste the love...

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: NHC brew letdown
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 03:57:46 pm »
My let down comes with some of the score sheets.

Some do OK and that makes us feel better.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:18:09 pm »

Some do OK and that makes us feel better.
Jeff I thought you'd score between 46 and 49 with the odd 50 thrown in for all your beers. ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:39:15 pm »
I learn from every batch that I make. Even if it's something as little as making a small process improvement, every batch of beer builds upon the next. It's a never ending process of improvement. The key is to "never give up" and continually strive to make better beer. I made better beer this year than I did a few years ago and I will continue to strive to make better beer.  8)
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:03:31 pm »

Some do OK and thYour at makes us feel better.
Jeff I thought you'd score between 46 and 49 with the odd 50 thrown in for all your beers. ;)

I see the smiley. 

Reality is that you will advance fewer beers than you think/hope.  Your judgement is alway on the positive side.  Gordon Strong's observation on this is that you will on average advance/place 1/3 of your entries.

Last year I had 10 entered in the NHC, 3 advanced, one receieved a medal.  That one was a bronze and a 38 IIRC.  Anytime you get a medal that the NHC 2nd round, it is a good thing.

Ron sums it up very well, keep learning so you can improve your process.  The Czech Pils we had tonight is better than last years.  Maybe it will get through the first round this year.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:14:39 pm »
I brewed a bunch of recipes that I like to make for the NHC and I was really careful, really meticulous, really stringent on my measuring, sanitation etc and now that I'm tasting them, I'm sort of disappointed.  I think my regular old everyday beers where I just make beer are better.  Is it possible to be too clinical?  You just can't taste the love...

Just send them to me, then. I'll make sure they are properly evaluated.  ;D
Intra cervisiam est deus.

narvin

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 08:18:56 pm »
Were your expectations too high?  Did you change something drastic in an attempt to "improve" your process?  Or, maybe you just rushed the fermentation/conditioning to get them ready for the shipping deadline?

I don't see how you could have made your current recipes worse just by being more precise.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 08:50:33 pm »
Nothing like brewing for a contest to make a recipe come out dull.  Although I think I always find something wrong with a beer at first and then as I progress through the batch I get used to the new combo and learn to like it.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 08:15:01 am »

Reality is that you will advance fewer beers than you think/hope.  Your judgement is alway on the positive side.  Gordon Strong's observation on this is that you will on average advance/place 1/3 of your entries.

Keep in mind this only works if you brew very good beer. If you're brewing just okay beer and have the occasional great one, this theory won't work. You have to brew consistently good beer. I'm sure Jeff and Gordon both do that.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 08:29:32 am »

Keep in mind this only works if you brew very good beer. If you're brewing just okay beer and have the occasional great one, this theory won't work. You have to brew consistently good beer. I'm sure Jeff and Gordon both do that.

One of the few times I have been mentioned in the same sentence with Gordon.  Not in his league by any means.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Online mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 09:27:14 am »
I have brewed beers that scored in the 40's, but that is rare.  Through my judging experience, I'd say that finding a beer that scores in the 40's in competition is rare too.  Looking at the Commercial Calibration results that are presented in Zymurgy, 40's are rare in the commercial ranks too. 

Brewing a beer in the mid to upper 30's can easily get you medals.  It all depends what other beers show up that day.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline kohlerbeer

• 1st Kit
  • Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 08:51:31 pm »
Maybe you set your expectations too high.  They might be fine, but you are having trouble perceiving their true taste.  Hopefully you will do well in the competition, just not better than my entries. :P 
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier.....

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 01:01:28 pm »
I have brewed beers that scored in the 40's, but that is rare.  Through my judging experience, I'd say that finding a beer that scores in the 40's in competition is rare too.  Looking at the Commercial Calibration results that are presented in Zymurgy, 40's are rare in the commercial ranks too. 

Brewing a beer in the mid to upper 30's can easily get you medals.  It all depends what other beers show up that day.

Even a 40 doesnt guarantee much. My Scottish/-70 scored a 40 and didn't even medal in a competition a few weeks ago and the other beers I entered scored mid to upper 30's also with no medals to show for it.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 02:37:34 pm »
Sometimes I have found that I am my biggest critic of my beers.  Maybe you are being a little too harsh on yourself gmac.
Dan Chisholm

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 03:25:46 pm »
i am just hoping to get a score sheet back with a number on it from the one beer i entered.

maybe if i enter multiple beers and add up the scores they will get in the 30s.  :-\

but in the meantime. i am happy drinking and sharing what i brew with my friends. :)
Don AHA member