Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is this a poor shape for a mash tun?  (Read 12025 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Is this a poor shape for a mash tun?
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:05:11 pm »
This is the interior of a cooler I rarely use:

Wouldn't that hump cause a large patch a dead space that wouldn't get a lot of water rinsed through it?

It IS blue at least.  8)
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Is this a poor shape for a mash tun?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:10:28 pm »
It'll work fine and a little hump won't hurt you.

If you're batch sparging, the shape of the tun doesn't really matter, because you're not really rinsing as you would if you fly sparged. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:24:25 pm by bo »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 08:12:55 pm »
Looks like the outlet is a little higher than the bottom of the cooler so you'll have some deadspace there. That can be overcome by tilting the cooler when nearing the end of the lauter. Good to the last drop.  8)
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:28:55 pm »
This is the interior of a cooler I rarely use:

Wouldn't that hump cause a large patch a dead space that wouldn't get a lot of water rinsed through it?

It IS blue at least.  8)

Assuming batch sparging, the hump will be absolutely no problem
Joe

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:33:34 pm »
I would tilt the cooler like Ron suggests.  Just stick something of the appropriate size under the back end before you begin your runoff.  I use a small ceramic flower pot set upside down.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 09:07:32 pm »
Great! I've been kinda disappointed in my first mash tun. It was the only thing I really didn't put much thought into. I purchased a pre-made 5 gallon igloo with false bottom but its just too small for larger gravity beers. I'll keep using it for now but will probably end up switching to the larger cooler in a few months.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 10:05:21 am »
Local homebrew shop sells a mash tun the make out of a similar cooler (it's blue  ;) ). They just used some elbows on the inside of the drain valve so the slotted tubes they use for a screen sit on the bottom.

It should be criminal to sell 5 gallon mash tuns, unless they are sold as mini-mash tuns.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 10:51:21 am »
I'm in the other camp. I don't like it. Buy a Coleman Extreme and there's no problems. And no wheels either.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pikelakehomebrew

• Cellarman
  • brewing in the north metro
    • Pike Lake Home Brew
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:54:16 am »

That's what she said?  :o
pikelakehomebrew.com
On tap: Oktoberfest, Belgian Dubbel, Peach Blonde Ale, Surly Furious clone

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:59:51 am »
I'm in the other camp. I don't like it. Buy a Coleman Extreme and there's no problems. And no wheels either.

Well, the only reason I was considering it is because I wouldn't have to buy it, but I would have to build the manifold.

If I were to buy something I would probably get a 10 gallon cylindrical so I can re-use the false bottom I have. ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-Beverage-Jug-Orange-and-White-10-Gallon/14550424?findingMethod=rr )

I'm just pissed at myself for not researching this better.

;D

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 11:02:33 am »

Well, the only reason I was considering it is because I wouldn't have to buy it, but I would have to build the manifold.

If I were to buy something I would probably get a 10 gallon cylindrical so I can re-use the false bottom I have. ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-Beverage-Jug-Orange-and-White-10-Gallon/14550424?findingMethod=rr )

I'm just pissed at myself for not researching this better.

;D
Don't go nuts with the 'manifold' mine has a length of vinyl tube stuck through the drain hole with a ss braid (ala denny) attached to the inside end with a hose clamp. works like a champ.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 11:09:00 am »
My first mash tun was the classic .5" copper manifold.  To go through the cooler I removed the valve and stuck a mini-keg bung in the hole from the inside and ran a piece of plastic tubing through the bung.  I used a squeeze clamp for the valve.

It doesn't have to complicated.

Now I have a 1/4 turn valve and use a stainless braid.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 11:30:48 am »
A wise man once said, "If you find that you are digging yourself into a hole, the important thing is to stop digging."

The multiple problems you are having with the 5 gallon round igloo will likely persist with the 10 gallon round igloo regardless of the manifold you use (braid, bazooka screen, PVC or copper pipe, Phalse Bottom, etc.).  Trust me, I've used the 10 gallon round cooler and have made the switch to the rectangular cooler.  I've "stopped digging."  I'm not going back to the Igloo cooler--it is enjoying its second life as a cooler for water and lemonade at picnics and dispensing gatorade in the dugout at baseball games.  The Igloo cooler is very good for that.

The problem comes from grain bed compaction.  The round igloos are only 12 inches wide max while 18-24 inches tall.  There would be a lot less compaction of the grain bed if your cooler were 18-24 inches wide and the grain bed were only 8-12 inches high--like a rectangular cooler.  Cut your losses--don't buy a larger round cooler just because of the false bottom you have.  Get a good 82 qt (20.5 gallon) rectangular Coleman cooler (or bigger) that is "self-draining", i.e., spigot is very low in the cooler and has no hump. and buy or make a manifold.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 11:52:06 am »
my last mash was a mash in a bag.  i used a 5 gallon igloo. i had not had a chance to put my braid in it yet.  i just through everything in a grain bag (i have used it for boil in bag before) and i only do 2 gallon batches so this was plenty big.  then after the mash i just drained it through the regular spigot,  the grain bag kept everything inside and it was easy to lift out and clean.
Don AHA member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 12:03:31 pm »
my last mash was a mash in a bag.  i used a 5 gallon igloo. i had not had a chance to put my braid in it yet.  i just through everything in a grain bag (i have used it for boil in bag before) and i only do 2 gallon batches so this was plenty big.  then after the mash i just drained it through the regular spigot,  the grain bag kept everything inside and it was easy to lift out and clean.

this is how I started all grain, except with a bottling bucket and lots of blankets, comforters. works great!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce