Author Topic: OK, we're doing it  (Read 3120 times)

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
    • Bump City Brews
Re: OK, we're doing it
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 10:59:40 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Self-distribute?  I don't know the legal answer, but there's another brewer in my county that does, so I'm thinking so.  And that takes care of the health department question as well.  As for a facility, I have a large, three bay detached garage that will be the brewery. 

I just figure starting the process for $100 is no big deal.  If it get's to be to much, then we'll cancel.  The guy that owns the brewery with taproom got going pretty easy, and he's just brewing one barrel batches with blichmann boilermaker pots.  Essentially a home brew system. And he's in an offsite pole building.

I worked at a Seattle brewery where they self-distributed.  I think its free and pretty easy to get that going.  As for location, check out Foggy Noggin.  I think it just has to be detached from your house, so a Detached garage might work!

Cheers
mmmm....beer

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 11:49:20 PM »
Awesome Mic, congratulations!  I'm very excited for you, keep us up to date.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
Awesome Mic, congratulations!  I'm very excited for you, keep us up to date.
Things are moving along nicely.  This isn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.....   It's nice to have a space in an unincorporated area.  Building codes don't mean jack. 

Offline rjfarel

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 11:07:52 AM »
Mic, is one these your operation?

http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/can-washington-handle-15-more-breweries/

Sure is.  Kelija Brewing.  We'll be DBA "dungeness brewing"  They got the city wrong though.  My Fiance's last name is Raymond.  But we are in Port Angeles. 

Thanks for sharing

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 02:51:12 PM »
For questions on self distribution, the answer is in the Brewer's Association web site.  For WA=yes, <60,000 barrels, so you are covered for a few years of growth. 
http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/self-distribution-laws

I can't imagine going that big.  Homebrewing is for me.  Plus, my day job pays pretty good.  And I like money.   :D ;D

Here's hoping you are going to at least invst in something larger than a 10 gallon system. You will quickly lose the joy of brewing once you sell every drop you are brewing and never have a keg for the house. even brewing 7 bbls I sometimes go stretches without having beer at the house, and that sucks.

In fact, that makes me think of another cautionary tale: beware of going commercial because you will not be brewing for yourself any longer. On a 10 gallon system that's a lot of brewing basically for free (because there is no way you will make money on it, on the contrary your time will not even come close to being compensated. At least homebrewing you spend 8 hours and get beer out of the deal. You will be talking about spending all day brewing and maybe getting $80-100 after ingredient/energy costs.

Couple questions:

Why can't I brew for myself?  I've still got my system at my house, in my garage.  My "commercial" brewery will be 15 miles away at my partners place.  We'll home brew on my system, and commerical on hers.  And 8 hours?  Not even close.  We can get 2, 10 gallon batches done in less than that. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 03:22:22 PM »
You can. Having time or wanting too is two different things. The last thing I want to do Sunday on my one day off is brew another batch of beer. Maybe your situation will be totally different than mine. But as easy as it is to set up a 2.5 - 3 bbl system it would just be pointless brewing commercially on a ten gallon. Maybe that's not your gig though, just the way I read it.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 05:57:26 PM »
Don't let the negatives stop you. Plans can always change as you get into it.Good luck.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »
Absolutely!!! Agree 110%. I just remember how silly I felt brewing on a 1 bbl system when I started so I can't help but pass on the advice. But like I said, maybe I misunderstand the situation.

Without a doubt I wish you the best of luck. And fwiw it's not negativity, just hard earned experience. But everyone's situation is different. Here's hoping you make the most of yours!
Keith Y.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 09:45:23 AM »
Absolutely!!! Agree 110%. I just remember how silly I felt brewing on a 1 bbl system when I started so I can't help but pass on the advice. But like I said, maybe I misunderstand the situation.

Without a doubt I wish you the best of luck. And fwiw it's not negativity, just hard earned experience. But everyone's situation is different. Here's hoping you make the most of yours!

I don't take it as negativity.  No worries there.  I appreciate all comments. 

My intention is just to be able to legally sell some beer.  Having two, (and now possibly a third) bar stock my beer on a rotating basis will be very cool.  I have no plans to even fill sankey kegs, so I will be limited to bars with a ball lock set-up.  And that's fine. Like I said somewhere, I ain't giving up the day job.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 10:00:22 AM »
Well, we're almost past the posting requirement from our state LCB.  And the TTB website now has our application "under review"

I guess this is where find out what other hurdles there may (or may not) be..........

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »
Well, we're almost past the posting requirement from our state LCB.  And the TTB website now has our application "under review"

I guess this is where find out what other hurdles there may (or may not) be..........

Congrats, We are in the same boat at the same time. Good Luck.
Tribute Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 04:40:45 AM »

Are you being made to hang "food grade" lights over your brewing area? What about an explosion proof room to grind grain in? Are you having to install a solid waste interceptor in front of the city sewage lines? These were all hurdles we had to deal with on a local level, even on a single bbl brewery. Also, if you are using a mash paddle you may need a 3 bay sink large enough to hold the MP. Of course, we don't use one.  ;)

Keith Y.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 07:35:13 AM »

Are you being made to hang "food grade" lights over your brewing area? What about an explosion proof room to grind grain in? Are you having to install a solid waste interceptor in front of the city sewage lines? These were all hurdles we had to deal with on a local level, even on a single bbl brewery. Also, if you are using a mash paddle you may need a 3 bay sink large enough to hold the MP. Of course, we don't use one.  ;)

This is the best part of being in an unincorporated area.  No city government to worry about.  Only the county.  And, of the two other breweries in my county, none of that has ever been a concern.

Now, having said that.  I've had a nice stainless, 3 bay sink in my brewery for quite some time.  It makes keeping things clean for easy.  (a local pizza shop closed up, and had a sale on all their used equipment.  I really wanted the nice 3 sankey kegerator, but my wallet couldn't handle that purchase.  Oh well, the stainless sink only cost me $50.00.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
OK, we're doing it
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 07:38:13 AM »
Awesome. We are considering the county for our next build due to lower regulations. Still have to deal with health department but building code much easier.
Keith Y.