Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Condo Brewing  (Read 5621 times)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Condo Brewing
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 11:42:37 am »
I've heard about glass top stoves cracking with too much heat, so a huge boil on those might not be advised.  I only boil about 4.5 gallons so I'm not too worried about it.  Coil stoves suck because the coils aren't too stable when too much weight is on them.

I've heard people concerned about cracking, but never heard of it actually happening to someone. Those burners themselves are much hotter than the pot of 220F wort on top.

One downfall though is it is much harder to regulate temperature since, especially with ceramic top stoves, the glass stays hot for a long time after the burner is turned off. Boilovers made easy!

But somewhat easier to clean up than coil top or gas burner top stoves.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 01:13:13 pm »
I just lift my stove-top's entire surface and take it off. Then hose the crap off outside. Easy Off for the stubborn carbon build-up and then place in the sun. An hour later hose the rest off and dry. Replace on stove.

Has anyone else tried this?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 07:30:02 am »
I've heard about glass top stoves cracking with too much heat, so a huge boil on those might not be advised.  I only boil about 4.5 gallons so I'm not too worried about it.  Coil stoves suck because the coils aren't too stable when too much weight is on them.

I've heard people concerned about cracking, but never heard of it actually happening to someone. Those burners themselves are much hotter than the pot of 220F wort on top.

One downfall though is it is much harder to regulate temperature since, especially with ceramic top stoves, the glass stays hot for a long time after the burner is turned off. Boilovers made easy!

This is true.  I've had only one boil over on my current set up, easy to clean up.  I've been happy with my setup, not too worried about cracking.  I'm sure the top can be replaced if it does crack, yeah?
Jesse

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 07:38:02 am »

This is true.  I've had only one boil over on my current set up, easy to clean up.  I've been happy with my setup, not too worried about cracking.  I'm sure the top can be replaced if it does crack, yeah?

I'd bet a new glass top would cost as much as a new stove. I have one too and while I don't brew on it, I cringe every time something falls on it.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 07:44:42 am »
It's silly to replace the whole damn thing though if a small piece can be replaced.  I was going to come up with an example relating to something breaking down on your car and just getting a new car instead, but I couldn't think of an analogous...analogy.
Jesse

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 07:47:33 am »
My mother-in-law has a flat top glass stove.  Everything I've read about them and from what I've seen on her stove up close the only way you repair a cracked is by replacing the whole thing.  As I understand them they are made the same way as a flat screen monitor which means by the time you get it in your house it is basically one piece with all layers fused together so it's sealled.  You can't take it apart.

I could be wrong.

Paul

**** Edited to point that I am in fact wrong, at lest for some flat cook tops.  Going to get another cup of coffee now.  Carry on.  ****
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:18:52 am by Slowbrew »
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 07:49:17 am »
It's silly to replace the whole damn thing though if a small piece can be replaced.  I was going to come up with an example relating to something breaking down on your car and just getting a new car instead, but I couldn't think of an analogous...analogy.

I agree completely, but we've unfortunately become a disposable society and that's pushed, in part, by inflated replacement part prices.  I'd replace a broken glass top, but not if I could get a new stove for just a few dollars more.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 08:11:30 am »
i have an awesome gas range and can easily brew my small batches, but even without a boilover i have staining on the surface which takes me an hour to clean off.  that is one of the reasons i am probably going to make an electric kettle.  i also have a natural gas grill on my deck off the house ng.  i am toying with tapping off this and putting in a burner. decisions decisions.  could do both.
Don AHA member

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 08:56:34 am »
You can buy the glass top replacement online ($400-500) and replace it yourself for a lot less than it would cost you to have a service person come out and replace it.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 09:01:23 am »
It's still lame we've become so disposable as a society.  Very wasteful and unnecessary.
Jesse