Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsch  (Read 5119 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Kolsch
« on: January 31, 2010, 06:51:52 am »
Are any of these good examples of a Kolsch?  The reason I ask is that I see other beers by these brewers in a few of the stores so if any are good I'll ask if they have some brought in.

Goose Island Summertime, Alaska Summer Ale, Harpoon Summer Beer, New Holland Lucid, Shiner Kölsch

Offline dontblake

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
    • Indian Peaks Alers
Re: Kolsch
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:37:56 am »
I've had Alaska Summer Ale (used it for a BJCP exam prep session).  It was quite good - a very suitable example of Kolsh, if I remember correctly.   
Don Blake, Erie CO
Founder, Indian Peaks Alers
Grand Master BJCP Judge

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 11:05:59 am »
Of course thats the one brewery in the list I'm not sure I saw on the shelf here or not now.   ::)    :D  But thanks, I'll definitely look for it!   :)

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:39:32 am »
The GI & NH examples are very good when they're fresh or on draught, as is the AK already mentioned. I'm not a fan of the Harpoon or Shiner versions, AAMOF... I think the Shiner version has been dropped from production? SA Fancy Lawnmower & Summit Kölsch are other good bottled examples available during season.  ;)

CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:49:49 am »
Cool... SA shouldn't be hard to get, I didn't know they made Kolsch. 

(I'm still tossed on their Noble Pils, I can't decide if I like it or not... it depends on my mood and what/if I've had anything to eat before it.   :-\  )

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 12:04:09 pm »
Dean, you have said you live in MI in other posts.  No Alaskan brewing beers on the shelves for about 1000 miles.  Wish some of their beer was here.
http://www.alaskanbeer.com/our-brew/find-our-beer.html

Look for Reissdorf Koelsch, as that one is from Koeln and is available in MI (at least in SE MI).  Have had it in good condition on draft, can't say how good the bottles are.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 12:09:49 pm »
Thanks for the tip!   ;D   Anyplace in particular in SE Michigan?  I'm heading back to Ohio in May to see two new grandsons (they aren't born yet) and going to a graduation ceremony too, so I might be able to get off the road and find the place.  I usually travel from I-96 down US-23 until I get back to I-75.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 12:45:04 pm »
Try Ashleys Ann Arbor, their web site says it is on draft, but I would call.

On your side of the state there is New Holland Full Circle, which I remember as a good koesch.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 05:38:48 pm »
Dean, if you're interested, bottled Reissdorf Koelsch can be found at Merchant's in downtown Dearborn, MI on Michigan Ave. if you want to try slightly different route to Ohio (going south but taking a route east of US-23).  I've always found the Koelsch to be in good shape.  Annette May, who will be speaking at the AHA Conference in June, manages the department and seems like she rotates the stock much more effectively than I've found in other stores.  She definitely knows her stuff.
Gail

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 10:30:47 pm »
Just to clarify, the New Holland Full Circle is just the new name for the Lucid. Fancy Lawnmower is a summer seasonal from St. Arnold's in Houston. Sorry for the abb. confusion!  ;)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline dontblake

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
    • Indian Peaks Alers
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 10:53:31 pm »
Yeah, Riessdorf Kolsch isn't bad, but when we tried it at our BJCP session, it was very lacking vs the Alaska.  Must be that shipping a delicate beer degrades it (although it's only a little further from Germany to Colorado vs Alaska).
Still worth grabbing a bottle or 2 if you can find it.
Don Blake, Erie CO
Founder, Indian Peaks Alers
Grand Master BJCP Judge

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 10:28:40 am »
You could try Gaffel if you can find it.  It seems a little less delicate than the Reissdorf (higher IBU).  Both are good examples on the east coast.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline novabrew

• Cellarman
  • Springfield, VA
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 09:41:04 pm »
The Shiner Kolsch is good and close to the actual style.  They used to market it as their Summer Stock.  Try to get the Gaffel Kolsch if you can.  It's a good example of the style.  That or get to Koln and get it fresh! ;D