Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Re-pitcing advice  (Read 2722 times)

Offline scott

• Cellarman
Re-pitcing advice
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:48:25 am »
This is my first attempt a reusing yeast for a second batch.  I would like to brew a 3 gallon batch of a Tripel (La Fin du Monde clone), about 9% ABV.  Should I pitch all of the solids into the Triple, solids from just one of the jars, or just the top white stuff of one or both jars?

I brewed a 3 gallon Belgian pale batch (Rare Vos clone) with WLP570, it ended up being 6% ABV, 1.060 OG; 1.014 FG.  I added about 1 pint of sanitized water to the yeast cake the bottom of the fermentation bucket and collected it in these two jars about two days ago.  I've kept them in the fridge. 

I was also thinking about also brewing a Dubble (Trois Pistoles clone, 3 gallon batch) in around a week or two.  Is it too ambitious to use just one jar for the Tripel and save the other for the Dubble?  I'm guessing it will be too hard on the yeast to re-pitch from the Tripel to the Dubble.

I've learned so much just lurking these boards, I'm eager to brew more beer. 

Scott

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Re: Re-pitcing advice
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:13:35 am »
There's a tab on the Mr. Malty yeast calculator for repitching from a slurry:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

I've yet to do that but will be harvesting some this weekend for use in my next brew.

Good luck!

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:41:33 am »
I don't repitch yeast from a high gravity beer as the yeast have been stressed and their health may be compromised. I like to repitch from beer < 1.060. I recommend rinsing the slurry to remove any trub or hop matter. Use mrmalty.com to estimate the required yeast for the next batch. I usually add a quart of starter wort to the slurry a few hours prior to pitching in an effort to wake up the yeast to ready them for the fermentation.
Ron Price

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 09:18:33 am »
Assuming you have enough in one jar for the tripel, you can certainly keep the other jar for a couple weeks.

The rubber band and saran wrap should negate any concerns from pressure building up in the glass jar.

I'm with Ron on the lower gravity to higher gravity re-pitch method.  What's you anticipated gravity for the dubbel?  Mine are typically higher than the guidelines would call for, so that wouldn't stop me from re-using that yeast.

If it sits longer than you're comfortable with, you can always make a starter with some of it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline scott

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:23:01 am »
Does the not so white stuff contain yeast or is it all trub that should be tossed out?  If it is yeast, then I probably have enough for the Tripel in one jar, and the Dubbel in the other.

Both the Tripel and the Dubbel will end up about 9%, so they will be higher gravity.  I don't remember the OG for the recipes.
Scott

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:28 am »
Does the not so white stuff contain yeast or is it all trub that should be tossed out?  If it is yeast, then I probably have enough for the Tripel in one jar, and the Dubbel in the other.

Both the Tripel and the Dubbel will end up about 9%, so they will be higher gravity.  I don't remember the OG for the recipes.

The white layer on top is predominantly yeast whereas the darker material is a blend of live yeast, dead yeast and trub.
Ron Price

Offline scott

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 01:04:56 pm »
Thanks bluesman.  If the darker material also has live yeast then it sounds like I should just be able to pitch a jar into each batch.
Scott

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 01:49:38 pm »
if i keep it long i will make a new starter. i have taken beer off yeast for packaging etc and thrown my next brew right on top of it that day. i have also put it in mason jars just like you have and used it later, but if i keep it for more than a few months (yes i have) then i take some of that slurry and build new starter
Don AHA member